ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland's work on offensive boards is too much for Purdue (link)

This game showed the BT reality. Purdue played as well as it could and is one of the top 5 teams in the BT, but the best team is MD and it isn't even close. Then comes OSU, then prob Purdue, NW, Michigan, Indiana, msu, those teams scrambling for the third spot even thou their chances for second are zero.
Of course the difference is recruiting, MD having 6 Mc D's on their roster. Purdue played them even at least except for the lankies they have who drive around or reach above our valiant but shorter, less quick players and just put the ball back in. That's what they do to all the BT teams because except for OSU, no one has a comparable front line. Combine that with some excellent guards and you will win most of your games and considering that many of MD's players are young, their reign may last forever.
Purdue would have to get some big, strong, quick interior players to compete and they won't because there are not many out there. So, folks, we better be content with having a team that is truly competitive or better with the other 11 BT teams. My guess is that Michigan gets third and we wind up 4th over Indiana NW and MSU. It is possible we can win our last 7 games if we play as well as we have been, the Mich home game being a key. That and a win or two in the BTT and we would go to the NCAA but with not much of a seed. Not saying it will happen, but I think it is remarkable that this team could. Versyp has no chance of getting fired.

This game showed the BT reality. Purdue played as well as it could and is one of the top 5 teams in the BT, but the best team is MD and it isn't even close. Then comes OSU, then prob Purdue, NW, Michigan, Indiana, msu, those teams scrambling for the third spot even thou their chances for second are zero.
Of course the difference is recruiting, MD having 6 Mc D's on their roster. Purdue played them even at least except for the lankies they have who drive around or reach above our valiant but shorter, less quick players and just put the ball back in. That's what they do to all the BT teams because except for OSU, no one has a comparable front line. Combine that with some excellent guards and you will win most of your games and considering that many of MD's players are young, their reign may last forever.
Purdue would have to get some big, strong, quick interior players to compete and they won't because there are not many out there. So, folks, we better be content with having a team that is truly competitive or better with the other 11 BT teams. My guess is that Michigan gets third and we wind up 4th over Indiana NW and MSU. It is possible we can win our last 7 games if we play as well as we have been, the Mich home game being a key. That and a win or two in the BTT and we would go to the NCAA but with not much of a seed. Not saying it will happen, but I think it is remarkable that this team could. Versyp has no chance of getting fired.
It seems logical to me that when you are getting beaten up on the offensive board as we were that you would send your guards in to help rebound rather than keep them on the wing to run the break after one of our undersized bigs gets a rebound. Just saying.

Bigohh, would not make much difference. They would just beat us another way. We are flat out just not as good as them at all. That is the problem.

Bigohh, would not make much difference. They would just beat us another way. We are flat out just not as good as them at all. That is the problem.
And the administration does not seem likely to correct that problem any time soon. Attendance, interest, and recruiting will continue to plummet.

It is not OK that Purdue has lost its competitive advantage in womens basketball. This did not have to happen, and it is unacceptable. I would be surprised if the new MB does not address this issue sooner rather than later.

You ignore 19-52 against ranked teams. That is like being sentenced to mediocrity. Her nonconference schedule was weak to allow a chance for a NCAA bid. When you play a very weak schedule and lose four games and then play in a weak conference former fans discover other interests and you just devolve.

And the administration does not seem likely to correct that problem any time soon. Attendance, interest, and recruiting will continue to plummet.
"Plummet"? Purdue's home attendance once again leads the league at 5803 average. Last year we were second in average home attendance in the league (at 6253) so we are not doing as well number-wise as last year but attendance for the league in WBB has been going down as a whole (and for us) since 2012-2013. But comparatively we do very well.

The imbalance between the few "haves" and the many "have-nots" in WBB is definitely hurting the game.

"Plummet"? Purdue's home attendance once again leads the league at 5803 average. Last year we were second in average home attendance in the league (at 6253) so we are not doing as well number-wise as last year but attendance for the league in WBB has been going down as a whole (and for us) since 2012-2013. But comparatively we do very well.

The imbalance between the few "haves" and the many "have-nots" in WBB is definitely hurting the game.

Those attendance numbers have no correlation with reality. Never have, but you can trust those who have been around the program for many years when we say thousands have abandoned the program.

Reactions: Dan'l Boone
Those attendance numbers have no correlation with reality. Never have, but you can trust those who have been around the program for many years when we say thousands have abandoned the program.
I suspect that the fans of every team in the B1G could say the same about real attendance vs reported.

I doubt that our new AD will think replacing Versyp is an urgent issue when we continue to rank at top of the B1G in attendance, whether those numbers are actually butts in the seat or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT