ADVERTISEMENT

Man, IU fans are really quiet today.

Those 5 banners...maybe not as important as the helms since teams were chosen to play other chosen teams at chosen sites. No computer data to prevent some human bias in those selections. Less teams played and what about teams that might have got hot in the tourney that had maybe had less of a year than the tourney would show. We have seen a lot of those. Each banner is a flash in the pan where there is no best of series under non biased selection. Give them their due for the times in which they played, but not "modern" basketball as I read before. ;) Like comparing scoring before the shot clock and after...before the 3 ball and after...all that data was at different times and comparing before and after needs some astericks. Natural order of best program is Purdue in the Big... ;)
Mr. Paul Helms was a wealthy guy that owned a chain of bakeries (yum!) in Los Angeles, the true birthplace of early 20th century college basketball (maybe?) and loved college sports. In the 1940's he went back and picked the team he thought was best each year since 1900. Here is your selector hard at work at his day job!

DSC4194.jpg

Ironically, to win a Helms banner you had to avoid cupcakes. Suspiciously, their donut trays were (W?)wooden.

Indiana has three Helms banners. Are you suggesting that IU should raise banners # 6, 7, and 8?

SWEET! (like a delicious, freshly-baked Helms pastry)

Reactions: Vern Pain
Well 5 is still better than 0.
Your banners!!! Good for you!!!
Mr. Paul Helms was a wealthy guy that owned a chain of bakeries (yum!) in Los Angeles, the true birthplace of early 20th century college basketball (maybe?) and loved college sports. In the 1940's he went back and picked the team he thought was best each year since 1900. Here is your selector hard at work at his day job!

DSC4194.jpg

Ironically, to win a Helms banner you had to avoid cupcakes. Suspiciously, their donut trays were (W?)wooden.

Indiana has three Helms banners. Are you suggesting that IU should raise banners # 6, 7, and 8?

Sure. Why not? Except those three were the same teams that won the NCAA titles. But if you want to hang more banners, go for it! Might as well rush the floor and cut down the nets while your at it.

And your history is not up to snuff. The title was not selected by Helms, but by a panel of voters, similar to how football champions were selected before they started the bowl series. Helms wasn't even alive when IU won their last 2.

The only disagreement you have from me is on #5.
A banner proclaiming the #1 team in the Nation based on the total body of work is more legitimate than the winner of a one and done tourney.
Why does the NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball, for example, all have a multi game series to determine the best team?
The #4 prediction should be clarified. With the potential on the team I guess an early exit would be the Great 8.
I think that is very reasonable.
Now IF Edey comes back next year is a whole different scenario.
Yes... A national championship given 11 years after the fact is totally way more legitimate than a championship won through a tourney.

Sure. Why not? Except those three were the same teams that won the NCAA titles. But if you want to hang more banners, go for it! Might as well rush the floor and cut down the nets while your at it.

And your history is not up to snuff. The title was not selected by Helms, but by a panel of voters, similar to how football champions were selected before they started the bowl series. Helms wasn't even alive when IU won their last 2.

Yes, I have located a rare, extraordinary, actual picture of the Helms Bakery college basketball expert voters panel during their deliberations!

5d13e0af929d6.image.jpg

And an actual, unretouched picture of the Helms Bakery 1932 trophy!

Btw: It. Was. Delicious!
("Aida" was the 1931-32 team manager and designated "flapper girl")

ceef4f9682e50f55cd2844263ea93fea.jpg

DSC4194.jpg

raise as many as they want (and hand out rings as well) because we know which is the best program over time. Purdue can't help who IU is able to beat when hand selected, at hand selected places,and hand selected times, but when IU plays the same competion as Purdue they fall short.
Exhibit A Most big championships belong to Purdue.
Exhibit B Anecdotal evidence to support exhibit A is that when IU and Purdue had close to similar paths, Purdue beat IU in 1980.
Exhibit C Purdue has beat IU in head to head over time as well.

Human interaction on team selection, places and times just like the Helms were done with human bias before computer algorithms preventing some of the bias. None of this even mentions the same biases that took place in other tourneys available that many would consider a better tourney, or the role any academics might play as well.

Clinging to those old relics as some measure of greatness is to ignore the obvious direct comparisons and the bias that went on previously making those candidates either insincere in his or her stance or just gullible of the hype! Consider:

Medicine A is better than medicine B for diabetes.

Medicine C is better for athlete's foot than Medicine A...therefore Medicine C is better than Medicine A for diabetes.

No, not really... Also, every year some team wins the tourney, but only a Purdue flag wen to the moon...

raise as many as they want (and hand out rings as well) because we know which is the best program over time. Purdue can't help who IU is able to beat when hand selected, at hand selected places,and hand selected times, but when IU plays the same competion as Purdue they fall short.
Exhibit B Anecdotal evidence to support exhibit A is that when IU and Purdue had close to similar paths, Purdue beat IU in 1980.

Human interaction on team selection, places and times just like the Helms were done with human bias before computer algorithms preventing some of the bias. None of this even mentions the same biases that took place in other tourneys available that many would consider a better tourney, or the role any academics might play as well.

Clinging to those old relics as some measure of greatness is to ignore the obvious direct comparisons and the bias that went on previously making those candidates either insincere in his or her stance or just gullible of the hype! Consider:

Medicine C is better for athlete's foot than Medicine A...therefore Medicine C is better than Medicine A for diabetes.

No, not really... Also, every year some team wins the tourney, but only a Purdue flag wen to the moon...
Again, Purdues most success was pre-1939. They built up a crap ton of wins on other programs, won 12 of their 24 conference titles. Since then...

Purdue- 12(about to the 13)
Indiana- 19 of 22
Ohio State- 18 of 20
Wisconsin - 8 of 20
Illinois - 13 of 18
Michigan State - 16 of 16
Michigan- 11 of 15

Those are the only schools in double digits of titles. So good job winning games in the early 1900s? It's funny how Purdue fans want to talk about how old Indiana's banners are but don't want to mention when Purdue peaked as a program.

Again, Purdues most success was pre-1939. They built up a crap ton of wins on other programs, won 12 of their 24 conference titles. Since then...

Purdue- 12(about to the 13)
Indiana- 19 of 22
Ohio State- 18 of 20
Wisconsin - 8 of 20
Illinois - 13 of 18
Michigan State - 16 of 16
Michigan- 11 of 15

Those are the only schools in double digits of titles. So good job winning games in the early 1900s? It's funny how Purdue fans want to talk about how old Indiana's banners are but don't want to mention when Purdue peaked as a program.
First of all you agree that historically Purdue is the better program or at least your statements strongly infer that. That is why the Natural Order of rank for the Big has Purdue at the top.

Second, the word "peaked" says nothing on its own. "Peaked" has to have a reference to something since it says nothing by itself. Perhaps Purdue peaked in the 3-peat? Only OSU and Purdue had 3 peats which are pretty significant milestones since only two schools have done such over that long history of the Big?

Purdue has won 2 Big Championships since IU won and very easily should have had a third..is that peaked? Is peaked this year or will it be next year or the year after? Cut and dice the years that make you feel good and sleep at night, but Purdue has a better history of not only beating IU but also beating the same set of teams as IU more than IU.

Peaked is a relative term that is based upon the term chosen as measure. Peaked is also a relative term not only to the characteristic in question, but the window of time of which "peaked" is applied.

This is excellent, scientific, research driven information!

But stay with me; I hope I don't get too far afield, but I'd like to dive back into Purdue's National Championship!

As per your methodology, let's start with MY "Exhibit A":

HELMS_history31.jpg

And Exhibit B

sylse02.jpg

Still reading? I didn't think you'd be 'brave' enough to go there, BUT LET'S GO THERE!

You stated, "Medicine A is better than medicine B for diabetes. Medicine C is better for athlete's foot than Medicine A...therefore Medicine C is better than Medicine A for diabetes."

Clearly, what you are implying (yes, I get it) is that if we want to connect the dots, doesn't the correlation between the Helms Bakery and their tasty products (Medicine A), the Helms Bakery expert basketball panel (Medicine B) and Purdue Basketball (Medicine C) need to be established?

If Medicine C (Purdue) is the best for diabetes, one would think that they avoided both the sugary, yeasty Captn Helms Power Pack Honey White Bread AND the Helms Olympic Bread. I know--Power Pack and Olympics! It's counter-intuitive, but so true.

Instead, I'm proposing (being bold here) that the Helms Bakery basketball expert panel (Medicine B) was supplying the Purdue Basketball team (Medicine C) with the subversively powerful V10 Protein bread AND the CheeWIllikers Cheese flavored corn puffs (Medicine A). Why CheeWillikers corn puffs? As if I need to say - it's as clear as can be.

Sales of those items exploded, and the expert basketball panel (again, Medicine B) was so grateful that they, 11 years after the fact, awarded the championship to the 1931-32 Boilermakers. In addition, they painted all Helms Bakery delivery vans (Exhibit B) in Purdue colors, and used an "H" on the front of those vans that was almost identical to the Purdue P!

Not saying the fix was in, but let's just say--Helms Bakery titles did not just magically rise and bake on their own. And if you think they did? Chee Willikers, you are as cracked as Helms' delicious, hearty wheat bread!

Last edited:
First of all you agree that historically Purdue is the better program or at least your statements strongly infer that. That is why the Natural Order of rank for the Big has Purdue at the top.

Second, the word "peaked" says nothing on its own. "Peaked" has to have a reference to something since it says nothing by itself. Perhaps Purdue peaked in the 3-peat? Only OSU and Purdue had 3 peats which are pretty significant milestones since only two schools have done such over that long history of the Big?

Purdue has won 2 Big Championships since IU won and very easily should have had a third..is that peaked? Is peaked this year or will it be next year or the year after? Cut and dice the years that make you feel good and sleep at night, but Purdue has a better history of not only beating IU but also beating the same set of teams as IU more than IU.

Peaked is a relative term that is based upon the term chosen as measure. Peaked is also a relative term not only to the characteristic in question, but the window of time of which "peaked" is applied.
Historically better? Lol. No. Indiana still has more national titles, both have 1 NIT title, Indiana has more all time wins. And since you love so much that 1 Helms title you're desperately trying to make important, Indiana has 3.

Purdue- 33 tourney appearances(1 vacated)
Indiana- 40(0 vacated)

Purdue- 13 S16s
Indiana- 22

Purdue- 5 E8s
Indiana- 11

Purdue- 2 FFs
Indiana- 8

Purdue- 1 national title appearance
Indiana- 6

Purdue- 0 national titles
Indiana- 5

So no... No they aren't close.

Historically better? Lol. No. Indiana still has more national titles, both have 1 NIT title, Indiana has more all time wins. And since you love so much that 1 Helms title you're desperately trying to make important, Indiana has 3.

Purdue- 33 tourney appearances(1 vacated)
Indiana- 40(0 vacated)

Purdue- 13 S16s
Indiana- 22

Purdue- 5 E8s
Indiana- 11

Purdue- 2 FFs
Indiana- 8

Purdue- 1 national title appearance
Indiana- 6

Purdue- 0 national titles
Indiana- 5

So no... No they aren't close.
I thought I made it quite simple for you, but apparently not. I don't care about the helms or helms 2.0 that you call tourney champs that were never national because the nations teams did not participate. Here is the crux of what I thought was rather clear. Your diversion from all the bias I stated has been ignored for your obvious attempt at diversion and distraction to meaningless points of view. 1)Quite simply Purdue owns the head to head historically with IU. 2)Purdue has also done better than IU when faced with the same opponents historically.

You wish to ignore the most direct meaningful comparisons and say that if IU plays this team and Purdue plays a different team that IU has more wins. Okay, but if you play the same competition that Purdue plays or just play Purdue...your fallacy of thought is based upon something different than reality, because reality is that IU does NOT do as well as Purdue against the same competition or just against Purdue. Somehow, not being able to do that and beating teams outside the same competition fascinates you. I'm reminded of medicine A, B and C and you think that since C was better for athlete's foot over A that C is better than A for diabetes is your reasoning.

• Love
Reactions: Do Dah Day
I thought I made it quite simple for you, but apparently not. I don't care about the helms or helms 2.0 that you call tourney champs that were never national because the nations teams did not participate. Here is the crux of what I thought was rather clear. Your diversion from all the bias I stated has been ignored for your obvious attempt at diversion and distraction to meaningless points of view. 1)Quite simply Purdue owns the head to head historically with IU. 2)Purdue has also done better than IU when faced with the same opponents historically.

You wish to ignore the most direct meaningful comparisons and say that if IU plays this team and Purdue plays a different team that IU has more wins. Okay, but if you play the same competition that Purdue plays or just play Purdue...your fallacy of thought is based upon something different than reality, because reality is that IU does NOT do as well as Purdue against the same competition or just against Purdue. Somehow, not being able to do that and beating teams outside the same competition fascinates you. I'm reminded of medicine A, B and C and you think that since C was better for athlete's foot over A that C is better than A for diabetes is your reasoning.
Everything you're saying is about as useless sandpaper tp. Purdue isn't anywhere near the program historically that Indiana is. Get over it. That is why Purdue is the little brother. You keep trying to go all the way around to try and make it seem like Purdue is better, but they aren't. Literally only in your brain is Purdue a better program. No cares what you think Indiana does against the same competition. No one. Because again, Purdue built their records in the early 1900s. Then people got better than them and got better on a national stage. Good job on the early 1900s success little bro.

Everything you're saying is about as useless sandpaper tp. Purdue isn't anywhere near the program historically that Indiana is. Get over it. That is why Purdue is the little brother. You keep trying to go all the way around to try and make it seem like Purdue is better, but they aren't. Literally only in your brain is Purdue a better program. No cares what you think Indiana does against the same competition. No one. Because again, Purdue built their records in the early 1900s. Then people got better than them and got better on a national stage. Good job on the early 1900s success little bro.
Perhaps you need to ask the past several Indiana Mr. Basketballs who is the Big Brother ...

Perhaps you need to ask the past several Indiana Mr. Basketballs who is the Big Brother ...
Oh yes. That'll absolutely change an entire historical record of the programs. But let's go ahead and ask the 29 that went to Indiana and the 13 that have went to Purdue.

Reactions: Vern Pain
And yes, Purdue has gotten the last 2. Indiana got the 3 before that. I don't pay attention to HS basketball so I have no clue who any of the Mr. Basketball candidates are for 2023.

And yes, Purdue has gotten the last 2. Indiana got the 3 before that. I don't pay attention to HS basketball so I have no clue who any of the Mr. Basketball candidates are for 2023.
I only care about now. History is water over the dam. Banners mean nothing to me. Just as what I made 30 and 20 years ago don't mean anything to me today. I used to be great, but am I still great? But, Indiana Mr, Basketballs do predict future success. The NOW~

Tj do you have a pet? If so I suggest you abandon this thread and go try and teach it French or Physics or something. It will be less frustrating and you'll probably make more headway.
Not anymore. Had a GREAT doberman...outstanding dog. I could teach it anything...and VERY QUICKLY. One warm summer day I was reading from a history book about the Big and Natural Order of things on basketball. She was focused as Dobes are...eyes focused on the book and ears standing alert when I noticed she stuck out her tongue a couple of times and wiped her jowls.

Instantly I thought she wasn't paying attention until it occured to me that she was so excited with what I was reading, that she was dribbling and wiping the drool from her mouth. I had just finished the first chapter since the History of the Natural Order of basketball in the Big was a tome and didn't want to overload her and so I put the book up and just sat there with her, watching her panting slowly subside to a more calm state.

Two minutes later a red truck pulled up the lane (I live about 650 feet from the road) of which I had never seen before. She went to greet him as only she could. He rolled down the window afraid to come out of the truck and asked the directions to Walmart because he was looking for more IU clothing. When she heard IU she put her paws up on the side of the truck and starting peeing all over the truck. The man took his cigar out of where teeth were located at one time and said, "What is your dog doing?" I said she heard you say you were looking to find Walmart to get some IU clothing and she started peeing all over your truck. I knew she was smart and a good judge of character keeping you inside the truck, but had no idea that after one chapter she was already POTFHs... Damn good dog!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gemini95
I only care about now. History is water over the dam. Banners mean nothing to me. Just as what I made 30 and 20 years ago don't mean anything to me today. I used to be great, but am I still great? But, Indiana Mr, Basketballs do predict future success. The NOW~
"I don't care about the past but you should ask the last few Mr. Basketballs who the little brother is." Yea that makes sense.

Yes, I have located a rare, extraordinary, actual picture of the Helms Bakery college basketball expert voters panel during their deliberations!

5d13e0af929d6.image.jpg
no those people are "selecting which cupcakes" are in which pan and the "ordering " inside each pan...

I'm 75. Hard to be great at much other than a great husband and g'pa. And maybe defender of the Boilers. SO, Yeah, I am great

So in other words, you are absolutely awesome! People with a positive outlook and a great family are the best - way way more important than any basketball silliness.

Remember that all you keyboard warriors - be like Do Dah Day and remember what truly matters before you angrily mash those keys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Dah Day
This is excellent, scientific, research driven information!

But stay with me; I hope I don't get too far afield, but I'd like to dive back into Purdue's National Championship!

As per your methodology, let's start with MY "Exhibit A":

HELMS_history31.jpg

And Exhibit B

sylse02.jpg

Still reading? I didn't think you'd be 'brave' enough to go there, BUT LET'S GO THERE!

You stated, "Medicine A is better than medicine B for diabetes. Medicine C is better for athlete's foot than Medicine A...therefore Medicine C is better than Medicine A for diabetes."

Clearly, what you are implying (yes, I get it) is that if we want to connect the dots, doesn't the correlation between the Helms Bakery and their tasty products (Medicine A), the Helms Bakery expert basketball panel (Medicine B) and Purdue Basketball (Medicine C) need to be established?

If Medicine C (Purdue) is the best for diabetes, one would think that they avoided both the sugary, yeasty Captn Helms Power Pack Honey White Bread AND the Helms Olympic Bread. I know--Power Pack and Olympics! It's counter-intuitive, but so true.

Instead, I'm proposing (being bold here) that the Helms Bakery basketball expert panel (Medicine B) was supplying the Purdue Basketball team (Medicine C) with the subversively powerful V10 Protein bread AND the CheeWIllikers Cheese flavored corn puffs (Medicine A). Why CheeWillikers corn puffs? As if I need to say - it's as clear as can be.

Sales of those items exploded, and the expert basketball panel (again, Medicine B) was so grateful that they, 11 years after the fact, awarded the championship to the 1931-32 Boilermakers. In addition, they painted all Helms Bakery delivery vans (Exhibit B) in Purdue colors, and used an "H" on the front of those vans that was almost identical to the Purdue P!

Not saying the fix was in, but let's just say--Helms Bakery titles did not just magically rise and bake on their own. And if you think they did? Chee Willikers, you are as cracked as Helms' delicious, hearty wheat bread!
I do not think Helms bakery titles raised on their own, but slectively raised. I think the selected cupcakes were placed in selective locations besides selected pans as noted in the picture below of them selecting the cupcakes in opposition to other cupcakes.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
I do not think Helms bakery titles raised on their own, but slectively raised. I think the selected cupcakes were placed in selective locations besides selected pans as noted in the picture below of them selecting the cupcakes in opposition to other cupcakes.
Exactly! See everyone?

IU and Purdue fans can agree.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Can we agree to stop responding to these idiots after we win tomorrow. IU still won’t be relevant and Edey will still be POY. No sense in giving them what they want and that’s your attention.
We will keep this a secret. Isn't that what little brothers do...seek your attention?

People laugh at you. Lol. More than your claim they laugh at Helms titles.

People laugh at you. Lol. More than your claim they laugh at Helms titles.
ya know, he is but another brick in the wall about the construction of IU and Purdue. There was never an illusion that they were to be in competition, but were meant to be complimentary instead where one works for someone and the other works for others. Purdue was put in place to help the country through AG and science mainly whereas IU had a better music school...and Kinsey...and Jared...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker
imagine if it were a national tournament?
The 1940 NCAA Tourney
Indiana from Bloomington, Indiana

Duquesne from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Springfield from Springfield, Massachusetts

Western Kentucky from Bowling Green, Kentucky

Colorado from Boulder, Colorado

Kansas from Lawrence, Kansas

Rice from Houston, Texas

USC from Los Angeles, California

The 1940 NCAA Tourney
Indiana from Bloomington, Indiana

Duquesne from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Springfield from Springfield, Massachusetts

Western Kentucky from Bowling Green, Kentucky

Colorado from Boulder, Colorado

Kansas from Lawrence, Kansas

Rice from Houston, Texas

USC from Los Angeles, California

Interesting side note: Many believe (and there is reason to) that IU was selected to participate only after Purdue turned down the invite for the East Regional. To IU’s credit they did defeat Kansas to take the title.

Interesting side note: Many believe (and there is reason to) that IU was selected to participate only after Purdue turned down the invite for the East Regional. To IU’s credit they did defeat Kansas to take the title.
That is possible. Not sure. But Purdue didn't play in the 1940 NIT either.

Purdue was not going to play basketball during finals week choosing academics over a meaningless basketball game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT