ADVERTISEMENT

Maliq Carr

Long. long. long ago and not so far away a certain, well known quarterback played both sports. Bob Griese played at least one year as a guard on the basketball team (unless my old memory is completely Kaput). Didn't get much time, but I think he did play. But that was a very long time ago, mid to late 60s.

He's a stud FB player and appears to be pretty decent at BB. I'd say you put him on FB scholly and give him a chance to play both. After he realizes the demands of being a student and trying to play two major sports he'll likely choose one or the other and not try to do both.

Reactions: Fansince72
Would love to have him. That October 11th commitment date seems like light years away though. Unless he does what David Bell did and commit earlier and keep it under wraps until October 11. Bell only had to keep his secret 2 months compared to 5 months out like Carr. That would be a hard secret for someone to keep that long

Lamar Lundy for a three year started for both football and basketball before freshmen were could play. Len Dawson also played one year of basketball.

Long. long. long ago and not so far away a certain, well known quarterback played both sports. Bob Griese played at least one year as a guard on the basketball team (unless my old memory is completely Kaput). Didn't get much time, but I think he did play. But that was a very long time ago, mid to late 60s.
Rosie Barnes used up his basketball eligibility and then played football. He also played a year on the baseball team. One of the best athletes to ever wear black & gold, and a fan favorite. Had a long career in the NFL after playing one year in college. When asked how good he could have been if he had played 4 years of football, he countered with, "How good would I have been in basketball if I had played 4 years with Coach Keady?" He was in his 4th year when Keady arrived.

He got decent playing time. Was considered a great defender.

Unfortunately the game today is much different than the Lundy, Griese, and Dawson eras. The football season is now 12 and hopefully 13 games long and games aren't always on Saturday afternoon. Basketball seasons stretch to 30 games and run from November to April with games every day of the week. What was a Midwest centered 10 team conference is now the B1G and road trips go from Nebraska to New Jersey just within the conference. Playing both sports and staying academically eligible is beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: Schnelk
Unfortunately the game today is much different than the Lundy, Griese, and Dawson eras. The football season is now 12 and hopefully 13 games long and games aren't always on Saturday afternoon. Basketball seasons stretch to 30 games and run from November to April with games every day of the week. What was a Midwest centered 10 team conference is now the B1G and road trips go from Nebraska to New Jersey just within the conference. Playing both sports and staying academically eligible is beyond my comprehension.
I agree, but technology does allow for mobile learning now that wasn’t available to Griese or Lundy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT