ADVERTISEMENT

With Frost out, wonder how long it’ll take Nebraska to rebound?

BSIT

All-American
Feb 2, 2011
Poipu, HI
They have a great fan base and facilities but it will take a special hire for them to become relevant. They have been treading water well before Frost was hired. IMO this just proves FB is the most challenging sport to coach. BB is light years easier to rebuild due to the fact there’s fewer players involved. A BB program can be quickly turned around with a couple good recruits while FB not so much

Reactions: DAG10
They have a great fan base and facilities but it will take a special hire for them to become relevant. They have been treading water well before Frost was hired. IMO this just proves FB is the most challenging sport to coach. BB is light years easier to rebuild due to the fact there’s fewer players involved. A BB program can be quickly turned around with a couple good recruits while FB not so much

They need to fire their AD for being a moron and not waiting for Oct 1st buyout lowering. Firing him now makes zero sense...

They need to fire their AD for being a moron and not waiting for Oct 1st buyout lowering. Firing him now makes zero sense...
On this point, we disagree...he should have been fired last year...he should have been fired after NW...he should have been fired last week...he absolutely had to be fired after last night.

The ONLY reason none of those things had happened was $$$.

Waiting 3 more weeks, and, losing 3 more times in embarrassing fashion likely, was not worth the $$$ finally.

What happened last night, on the heels of all that has already happened, just can't happen.

Frankly, they could/should have just fired him at halftime last night. If they had just passed a hat at the stadium, they would have collected at least half of what they are losing from a money standpoint likely...if they had stated what it was for, they might have actually made money on the matter.

Their AD sucks in general...somebody woke Trev up last night at the game (or after) and brought him up to speed apparently.

Literally, there is no amount of $ to be saved that could justify what happened last night given all that has happened leading up to it, and, it would have been shameful if they just waited 3 more weeks so as to save some additional money...more so with the looming debacle this weekend with Oklahoma visiting. They would be better served forfeiting that game at this point, and, if Frost remained, that is exactly what they would have been doing.

Don't disagree on the matter, but, NIL, along with transfer portal/immediate eligibility makes it much easier...in both sports...than it ever was

Reactions: BSIT
I remember talking with some Nebraska fans at our tailgate about Frost and the return to greatness. Their opinion was if he couldn't do it, it would never be done. The reality is the corn-fed midwestern big boy farmer linemen they used to get in abundance just aren't being cranked out in Nebraska (or anywhere else). Wisky has been able to do it but nobody else has. Without that home grown talent, it will be an issue to get players there.

Reactions: Indy_Rider and BSIT
I remember talking with some Nebraska fans at our tailgate about Frost and the return to greatness. Their opinion was if he couldn't do it, it would never be done. The reality is the corn-fed midwestern big boy farmer linemen they used to get in abundance just aren't being cranked out in Nebraska (or anywhere else). Wisky has been able to do it but nobody else has. Without that home grown talent, it will be an issue to get players there.
Iowa may end the same. They’re known for great linemen

On this point, we disagree...he should have been fired last year...he should have been fired after NW...he should have been fired last week...he absolutely had to be fired after last night.

Waiting 3 more weeks, and, losing 3 more times in embarrassing fashion likely, was not worth the $$$ finally.

What happened last night, on the heels of all that has already happened, just can't happen.

Frankly, they could/should have just fired him at halftime last night. If they had just passed a hat at the stadium, they would have collected at least half of what they are losing from a money standpoint likely...if they had stated what it was for, they might have actually made money on the matter.

Their AD sucks in general...somebody woke Trev up last night at the game (or after) and brought him up to speed apparently.

Literally, there is no amount of $ to be saved that could justify what happened last night given all that has happened leading up to it, and, it would have been shameful if they just waited 3 more weeks so as to save some additional money...more so with the looming debacle this weekend with Oklahoma visiting. They would be better served forfeiting that game at this point, and, if Frost remained, that is exactly what they would have been doing.
They literally could have waited 3 weeks and saved $7.5MM to spend on the program. That amount of time wouldn't have mattered...

They literally could have waited 3 weeks and saved $7.5MM to spend on the program. That amount of time wouldn't have mattered...
I get it, but, again...to me, not worth it given all that already had happened, and, then happened last night. That is pittance money when you consider what they are bringing in, and, will be. It was worth $7.5m just to not have to watch him on the sidelines for another game...especially in that if it were to happen, it was ONLY to save the money to not have to see him there.

Just as in so many similar cases, I am confident that someone has covered the cost...like say, you could have done a go-fund-me and covered it in mere minutes.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I get it, but, again...to me, not worth it given all that already had happened, and, then happened last night. That is pittance money when you consider what they are bringing in, and, will be. It was worth $7.5m just to not have to watch him on the sidelines for another game...especially in that if it were to happen, it was ONLY to save the money to not have to see him there.

Just as in so many similar cases, I am confident that someone has covered the cost...like say, you could have done a go-fund-me and covered it in mere minutes.
To me, you will be correct only if Joseph turns the season around. Consider me skeptical.

Reactions: purduepat1969
To me, you will be correct only if Joseph turns the season around. Consider me skeptical.
I am equally as skeptical on the likelihood of that happening, but, I still think it was worth whatever it may have cost just to not have Frost there any longer...he was not there because they had a better chance to win with him there...if he had remained, it was simply a case of trying to save money and nothing more, and, they just could not afford that after what happened on Saturday, and, with the visit from Oklahoma looming and a National TV audience for it (after what just happened...and has happened before).

I will always remember Trev Alberts time with the Colts.He was paid a lot but always seemed to be hurt.

Reactions: DAG10
I will always remember Trev Alberts time with the Colts.He was paid a lot but always seemed to be hurt.
ALWAYS

A guy that had a very nice college career and seemed to have a ton of potential that went unrecognized unfortunately at the NFL level.

I think Alberts even made the comment after his playing days were over that he and his agent wondered why the Colts paid him so much.

It’s very possible, even likely, that the next head coach could get them back to being consistently good - maybe even Wisconsin level over the last several years.

The problem is that they expect Ohio State level based on success decades ago in what is practically a different college sports universe … and the odds of that are next to zero, meaning it’s also pretty likely the next coach ends up at the same spot at the end of the day as Frost did - fired.

Did Alberts extend Frost's contract at the end of last year?
No, Moos extended Frost before Alberts was hired. Alberts restructured Frost's contract at the end of last season, which reduced Frost's salary by $1 million. Frost's $15 million buyout would have also been reduced by half if Alberts waited until October to fire him.

Nebraska was dominant in the olden days. Much has changed since then. It is not obvious to me that the "restoration" will occur soon or if ever. If I were to bet, I'd take not ever.

No, Moos extended Frost before Alberts was hired. Alberts restructured Frost's contract at the end of last season, which reduced Frost's salary by $1 million. Frost's $15 million buyout would have also been reduced by half if Alberts waited until October to fire him.
Frost did everything he could to receive the full buyout. 💰

Half of these comments are laughable. If Purdue can be decent, so can Nebraska. Nebraska has brand new facilities, fan support, elite level NIL, etc. We aren't talking about getting into national title contention. At this point it is getting on a Wisconsin level or maybe little higher level. That can be achievable with the right coach and it wouldn't take that long. Just need to not **** up the head coach hire.

Reactions: BSIT
Firing Frost didn't cost Nebraska a dime. Some wealthy donor(s) called Alberts sometime shortly after their loss to Georgia Southern and told him to meet him at the Waffle House after Church and handed him a check. Schools rarely absorb the cost of buying out a coach, it's all donor funded. At the very worst a donor matched the $7.5 million Nebraska would have saved had they waited the 3 additional weeks, but Frost could have done much further damage in the 3 weeks as a sitting lame duck coach than saving $7.5 million.

Reactions: Tommaker
Firing Frost didn't cost Nebraska a dime. Some wealthy donor(s) called Alberts sometime shortly after their loss to Georgia Southern and told him to meet him at the Waffle House after Church and handed him a check. Schools rarely absorb the cost of buying out a coach, it's all donor funded. At the very worst a donor matched the $7.5 million Nebraska would have saved had they waited the 3 additional weeks, but Frost could have done much further damage in the 3 weeks as a sitting lame duck coach than saving $7.5 million.
Hey it’s HoosierDim !!! You ever pay @Sophie1970 ??

Half of these comments are laughable. If Purdue can be decent, so can Nebraska. Nebraska has brand new facilities, fan support, elite level NIL, etc. We aren't talking about getting into national title contention. At this point it is getting on a Wisconsin level or maybe little higher level. That can be achievable with the right coach and it wouldn't take that long. Just need to not **** up the head coach hire.
Yes, but as mentioned … they’d fire the next guy if he tops out at “a little better than Wisconsin level,” and the job gets less attractive each time they put those delusional expectations on display.

Nebraska was dominant in the olden days. Much has changed since then. It is not obvious to me that the "restoration" will occur soon or if ever. If I were to bet, I'd take not ever.
They were dominant when they could get 300 pound white farm boys and put them through a feedlot program where they stayed on campus longer than Jess Settles was at Iowa and didn't play them until they were 25 years old. With that physical dominance up front they just ran over everybody week after week. Tgey apparently don't grow them that way anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT