ADVERTISEMENT

Maliq Carr in transfer portal

I think this is just the way its going to be with transfers now. I actually think Purdue could take advantage as the big boys can't necessarily stack 4 and 5 star talent perhaps like they used to. Brohm seems to already be a step ahead in using the portal...albeit perhaps a small step.

Who would you start him over?

bell
Wright
Sheffield

which one
I don't disagree with those starters. But what bothers me is Brohm's mismanagement of the roster. The entire team had a free eligibility year this past season and how many times did Carr or Biloduea see the field? Same with Hewitt. And now they're transferring because they didn't get an opportunity. Its piss poor management in my opinion.

I don't disagree with those starters. But what bothers me is Brohm's mismanagement of the roster. The entire team had a free eligibility year this past season and how many times did Carr or Biloduea see the field? Same with Hewitt. And now they're transferring because they didn't get an opportunity. Its piss poor management in my opinion.
Carr got injured
Hewitt played special teams. Should tell you what they thought that he didn’t play hb
Bilodeau wasn’t better than Miller. Think he played special teams.

Carr is transferring because he thinks he can be a two sport star. Brohm didn’t stand in his way

Hewitt was third or 4th on the depth chart. Where was the poor roster management?

Reactions: Beorik
Carr got injured
Hewitt played special teams. Should tell you what they thought that he didn’t play hb

Carr is transferring because he thinks he can be a two sport star. Brohm didn’t stand in his way

Hewitt was third or 4th on the depth chart. Where was the poor roster management?
Carr wasn't hurt all season. And yeah, I got Bilodeau and Miller mixed up. The poor roster management was not playing them to give them experience. How many times did Miller and Carr get in the game? Not many. I think Miller had 2 catches with 1 for a touchdown. And then we don't see him again...

Carr wasn't hurt all season. And yeah, I got Bilodeau and Miller mixed up. The poor roster management was not playing them to give them experience. How many times did Miller and Carr get in the game? Not many. I think Miller had 2 catches with 1 for a touchdown. And then we don't see him again...
Miller played almost every game. He didn’t get as many targets due to Durham being better

Carr was injured in the first game and it impacted his availability the rest of the year

Reactions: purduepat1969
Have to remember we played what 6 games, half a year? We have a plefora of highly touted receivers. Carr got hurt and it undoubtedly set him back. Had the season been a full season, I think its fair to say we would have seem much more of Carr. Durham has become a stud. We play 2 TEs quite a bit and Miller has taken over as #2. I agree we should have probably tried to incorporate him more in the passing game. He's intriguing to say the least.

The most frustrating thing about our offense last year was the inability to spread the wealth more evenly. Felt we really made it easier on opposing defenses. Basically force it to Bell and then to Moore.

Anyway last year was weird. Ready to move on!

"Spread the wealth more evenly. Felt we really made it easier on opposing defenses. Basically force it to Bell and then to Moore."
Hit the nail on the head. When we have a double TE set or an empty backfield, every potential receiver should see some action come their way. It keeps the defense honest and all players prepping for game day showtime.
Would like to see 7+ receivers getting some stats every game if we are throwing their way to allow a DB or Moore an opportunity to be more 1 v 1 instead having double teams or spies ready to help out once the catch is made. One pump fake to the primary target and home-run the 2nd or 3rd read and not every player would have to be 30+ yards down field as a long bomb. Very easy to say and harder to plan for, but that is why they had success in the days of Tiller and Brohm's 1st couple of seasons.
We were way too predictable last year in passing situations.

Apparently not good enough to play wideout and reluctant to make a switch to TE. Can’t say what he could or could not do for Painter and the Basketball Program and if he wanted to or asked to play. Either way and anyway, don’t let the door hit you on your backside on your departure. I think there is much more to this story that we will never know!

Due to the COVID clause and the ease of walking away and the relaxing of the overall transfer rules, this is the new state of College athletics that follows the pattern of high schoolers attending multiple HS’s or Academies! Has it’s positives and certainly some devastating negatives as consequences such as 6 players leaving a basketball program this year when a coach was replaced in the B1G!

Hit the nail on the head. When we have a double TE set or an empty backfield, every potential receiver should see some action come their way. It keeps the defense honest and all players prepping for game day showtime.
Would like to see 7+ receivers getting some stats every game if we are throwing their way to allow a DB or Moore an opportunity to be more 1 v 1 instead having double teams or spies ready to help out once the catch is made. One pump fake to the primary target and home-run the 2nd or 3rd read and not every player would have to be 30+ yards down field as a long bomb. Very easy to say and harder to plan for, but that is why they had success in the days of Tiller and Brohm's 1st couple of seasons.
We were way too predictable last year in passing situations.
Yes sir. I can't help but think that the lack of continuity due to most of the players not practicing and getting on the same page because of covid restrictions really hurt us. Hopefully that's not the case this off-season, doesn't appear to be at this point.

Apparently not good enough to play wideout and reluctant to make a switch to TE. Can’t say what he could or could not do for Painter and the Basketball Program and if he wanted to or asked to play. Either way and anyway, don’t let the door hit you on your backside on your departure. I think there is much more to this story that we will never know!

Due to the COVID clause and the ease of walking away and the relaxing of the overall transfer rules, this is the new state of College athletics that follows the pattern of high schoolers attending multiple HS’s or Academies! Has it’s positives and certainly some devastating negatives as consequences such as 6 players leaving a basketball program this year when a coach was replaced in the B1G!
He would be TE3 and Slot3. And in hoops never see the floor with what we have and have coming in.

He would be TE3 and Slot3. And in hoops never see the floor with what we have and have coming in.
I'm guessing he sees himself as a basketball player that plays football to pay for school but isn't good enough to get on the floor here so maybe the great Izzo shed a few years and kinda, sorta said he'd get him on the floor at Molester State.

Miller played in every game. Carr was hurt early in season. Ever think Carrs just not that good? If you need a big, tall body in the slot to create mismatches... Miller is taller, bigger, stronger, blocks better, and most importantly FASTER than Carr.

Last edited:
Miller played in every game. Carr was hurt early in season. Ever think Carrs just not that good? If you need a big, tall body in the slot to create mismatches... Miller is taller, bigger, stronger, blocks better, and most importantly FASTER than Carr.
Interesting. Maybe Miller is what we thought Carr would be. Still hate to see Carr go though. Perhaps Carr saw himself as starting by his Soph year. He had a couple of comments during his senior year rather knocking who we had. I liked his confidence. Anyway, with new transfer rules it makes it easier to jump ship. And who knows, maybe he has personal reason for going to MSU. Again the transfer rules now allow them to come and go.

Carr got injured

I agree with this completely. I hate to see talent transfer but all indications are that he was at least 3rd or lower at every wr position last year and the simple fact is, if he isn’t better than Rice, and based on the transfer alone, I am guessing he is not, he could be a backup at least 2 more years. He probably didn’t like that.

As to Hewitt, I also think he was probably 4th on the depth chart with possibly some wrs taking snaps before him as well. Whatever the issue there is, he just never earned the trust of the coaches.

I wish them both well but I don’t see this as an indictment of our coaching.

I agree with this completely. I hate to see talent transfer but all indications are that he was at least 3rd or lower at every wr position last year and the simple fact is, if he isn’t better than Rice, and based on the transfer alone, I am guessing he is not, he could be a backup at least 2 more years. He probably didn’t like that.

As to Hewitt, I also think he was probably 4th on the depth chart with possibly some wrs taking snaps before him as well. Whatever the issue there is, he just never earned the trust of the coaches.

Wha...??

Dude... WTH is wrong with you. Get with the program. Grab your torch and pitchfork, and let's go.

Reactions: Beorik

Just wondering when you say "our coaching", are you talking about IU coaches or Purdue coaches? It's confusing since you're a fan of both...

Just wondering when you say "our coaching", are you talking about IU coaches or Purdue coaches? It's confusing since you're a fan of both...

Haha. You are so funny. Man a real knee slapper. You truly are a broken record about everything, not just your Purdue hate.

Haha. You are so funny. Man a real knee slapper. You truly are a broken record about everything, not just your Purdue hate.
I love Purdue only, all year. I don't love Purdue part of the year and IU the other part...

Let me ask you a question. When IU plays Purdue in basketball, who do you root for?

Are you the same Beorik from the IU board ?

Yes Sir I am. I grew up and IU basketball fan and never really followed any football team mostly because my Dad wasn’t into football and never watched it. When I attended Purdue in 95 I went to my first ever college football game and fell in love. Now football is my favorite sport and I have stuck with my Boilermakers since then. But I still like and follow IU basketball.

I love Purdue only, all year. I don't love Purdue part of the year and IU the other part...

Let me ask you a question. When IU plays Purdue in basketball, who do you root for?

I root for IU in basketball that game. It’s the only time I root for Purdue to lose in any sport. I like Purdue basketball too. Just don’t root for them against IU. But it also doesn’t ruin my day when they win because I still like them.

Let’s not derail a thread over this nonsense again. I love Purdue Football and want them to be incredibly successful. But win or lose I am a Boilermaker for life.

Let’s not derail a thread over this nonsense again. I love Purdue Football and want them to be incredibly successful. But win or lose I am a Boilermaker for life.
Then don't ever accuse me of 'Purdue hating'. I want Purdue football to be successful. But IMHO, I don't think Brohm is getting them there. There's a difference between not liking a coach and hating a school or program. I would hope you might recognize that...

And BTW, you're not a true Boilermaker for life when you choose IU winning over Purdue, in any sport. Sorry...

I root for IU in basketball that game. It’s the only time I root for Purdue to lose in any sport. I like Purdue basketball too. Just don’t root for them against IU. But it also doesn’t ruin my day when they win because I still like them.
So do you and @bonefish1 share a reversible jacket ?

B5UgeX6IgAAzDqz.jpg

Then don't ever accuse me of 'Purdue hating'. I want Purdue football to be successful. But IMHO, I don't think Brohm is getting them there. There's a difference between not liking a coach and hating a school or program. I would hope you might recognize that...

And BTW, you're not a true Boilermaker for life when you choose IU winning over Purdue, in any sport. Sorry...

Your opinion doesn’t matter.

Anyway. Like most here I thought Carr was a unique talent and I was excited to see what he could do especially in the red zone. I just think he was probably uncertain about his ability to start here over the next couple years so he wants to try to go somewhere he can.

Hopefully it doesn’t hurt our depth too much and I wish him the best.

Yes Sir I am. I grew up and IU basketball fan and never really followed any football team mostly because my Dad wasn’t into football and never watched it. When I attended Purdue in 95 I went to my first ever college football game and fell in love. Now football is my favorite sport and I have stuck with my Boilermakers since then. But I still like and follow IU basketball.
So in essence you’re like a PETA member who hunts actively for sport? When people ask you where your favorite piZza is do you reply, “well I love New York style pizza, which is why I go to Lou malnati’s” ?

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
Has MSU even acknowledged that he will be going there, or is this another Eastern situation?
Funny you should say that. I seen something on the net late night tonight 4/19 that the transition to MSU isn’t going so well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT