ADVERTISEMENT

Make a run at Shaka Smart

He and we are not seeing that you have a valid argument
I haven't seen a single logical rebuttal. Other than fear and emotion. Just scared at the thought he might be a step back, but you won't say it. He may take the program to new highs with a bigger program and conference. Some people are just afraid to open the green door and end up looking back with regret at missed opportunity.

What has Smart done better?

One of his teams won 5 straight games, beating a #11 seed USC, a #6 seed Georgetown by 18 points, a #3 seed Purdue by 18 points, a Florida State team (forget their seed) in a close one, and #1 seed Kansas on their way to the Final Four.

One of his teams won 5 straight games, beating a #11 seed USC, a #6 seed Georgetown by 18 points, a #3 seed Purdue by 18 points, a Florida State team (forget their seed) in a close one, and #1 seed Kansas on their way to the Final Four.

Florida State was the #10 seed in that 2011 Southwest Regional, Nage. Defeated #7 Texas A&M and #2 Notre Dame. The Virginia Commonwealth game could have gone either way, but VCU prevailed 72-71 in overtime in one of the worst venues for fans for watching a basketball game IMO.....the San Antonio Alamodome.....it's like those boxes with flap A, slot B, and tab C.

Florida State was the #10 seed in that 2011 Southwest Regional, Nage. Defeated #7 Texas A&M and #2 Notre Dame. The Virginia Commonwealth game could have gone either way, but VCU prevailed 72-71 in overtime in one of the worst venues for fans for watching a basketball game IMO.....the San Antonio Alamodome.....it's like those boxes with flap A, slot B, and tab C.

Regardless of venue, that five-game winning streak by one of Smart's teams is more impressive than any win streak by one of Painter's teams. Postseason win streaks trump regular season win streaks.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Regardless of venue, that five-game winning streak by one of Smart's teams is more impressive than any win streak by one of Painter's teams. Postseason win streaks trump regular season win streaks.

Yeh, these morons who think Shaka wouldn’t be an upgrade over Painter, I’m still trying to figure out what metrics they’re using.

I'm sorry, but Brohm has already impressed me more than Painter. And, I don't care if Mbob hires a Hazell type basketball coach on the way to hiring a Brohm in the end. I'm done settling. When Hazell was hired did you hope for Brohm? Just because a person can't rip off a name for who would come and coach Purdue does not mean that person isn't out there. Stop acting like every program that fires a coach has no replacement in the world to hire. If that was true, no coach would ever be fired for fear of getting worse.
When Haze was hired, I was very vocal and even castigated because I openly posted that he was a horrible hire, never having done anything on his own and because he was allowed to coach the bowl game thus ending recruiting for his first season. And I've never "acted" like PU would have no replacement...just that said replacement might be another Haze. Remember how everyone wanted Hope gone?

I never cared for Crean's mannerism's, but he did a decent job at recruiting solid players and he does have a Final Four and three Sweet 16's. When Lil' Arch can lay claim to that record get back with me. My guess, he'll be gone from IU long before he gets that chance.

And I do believe the way Crean was let go by Dead in the Head Fred was extremely low class.

Saying Crean was a good coach?? Is that what it's come to on this board??

Saying Crean was a good coach?? Is that what it's come to on this board??
It was the style of play (an the results it led to) that doomed Crean. Faster faster faster, turnovers, crappy defense, limited player dev (other than Olidipo). That, and after-hours full of getting high, phony IDs, running over teammates. The train was off the rails for yrs.

Anyone who thought CTC was right for the job must have missed the IU/Cuse game in March 2013. CTC prepped the best team IU had in 20 yrs, for the biggest game IU had seen in more than a decade, without realizing that Syracuse sometimes plays zone. And the game was over before we made it to the first TV timeout.

Still think Shaka would be a less-than-lateral move for PU. He hit a hot streak, cashed in and watches the big checks hit his account. But the results in Austin aren't what they should be based on the recruits he's landed. Luckily he's in football country (much like another coach I just mentioned) so he'll slide by for a few more yrs before anyone starts getting restless.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
It was the style of play (an the results it led to) that doomed Crean. Faster faster faster, turnovers, crappy defense, limited player dev (other than Olidipo). That, and after-hours full of getting high, phony IDs, running over teammates. The train was off the rails for yrs.

Anyone who thought CTC was right for the job must have missed the IU/Cuse game in March 2013. CTC prepped the best team IU had in 20 yrs, for the biggest game IU had seen in more than a decade, without realizing that Syracuse sometimes plays zone. And the game was over before we made it to the first TV timeout.

Still think Shaka would be a less-than-lateral move for PU. He hit a hot streak, cashed in and watches the big checks hit his account. But the results in Austin aren't what they should be based on the recruits he's landed. Luckily he's in football country (much like another coach I just mentioned) so he'll slide by for a few more yrs before anyone starts getting restless.
Crean was fired because he missed the tourney two seasons in a row and the BOT was sick and f*@king tired of losing to Purdue.

Mike Davis had a pretty good run once! So did Tom Crean!

When Haze was hired, I was very vocal and even castigated because I openly posted that he was a horrible hire, never having done anything on his own and because he was allowed to coach the bowl game thus ending recruiting for his first season. And I've never "acted" like PU would have no replacement...just that said replacement might be another Haze. Remember how everyone wanted Hope gone?

I didn't call for Hope being let go. However, right now, I'm glad we have Brohm instead. And I'd gladly go through Hazell to get to Brohm.

Crean and Davis are just as good as Smart by your metrics, but mysteriously you won't address it.

I’m not sure iu got rid of Crean too soon.
One thing I will give iu credit for, is they don’t mess around with making a coaching change. If they didn’t see the program trending the right direction, they change course.
With Painter, Purdue is trending off course, with an unlikelihood of getting back on course in the next 3 years, but some fans feel that as long as we don’t crash into the rocks, we should keep Painter because at least the ship is floating.

One thing I will give iu credit for, is they don’t mess around with making a coaching change. If they didn’t see the program trending the right direction, they change course.
With Painter, Purdue is trending off course, with an unlikelihood of getting back on course in the next 3 years, but some fans feel that as long as we don’t crash into the rocks, we should keep Painter because at least the ship is floating.
I can’t speak for other PU fans or Painter supporters, but my continued support has to do with the potential (longer term than just the next 2-3 years) that I see in him. I understand the misgivings or belief he will not get appreciably better but reasonable minds can disagree.

That said, if the next 2-3 years are abysmal then I reserve the right to change my mind (which I suspect I would). He isn’t going anywhere regardless in the next couple years (though his seat could get warm) so I choose to try to enjoy what the team can offer (to the best of my ability). Call me a “settler” if you’d like, I won’t condemn you for it :)

I don't think Crean was let go because of his record. I think it had more to do with the number of people who found him personally offensive. There was, at times, an arrogance about how he dealt with other coaches and with his administration. Second, his players were not always "in control" shall we say.

I know he offended a number of Indiana High School coaches, which basically limited his Indiana recruits. Being a coach at a major university is more than just winning games.

I can’t speak for other PU fans or Painter supporters, but my continued support has to do with the potential (longer term than just the next 2-3 years) that I see in him. I understand the misgivings or belief he will not get appreciably better but reasonable minds can disagree.

That said, if the next 2-3 years are abysmal then I reserve the right to change my mind (which I suspect I would). He isn’t going anywhere regardless in the next couple years (though his seat could get warm) so I choose to try to enjoy what the team can offer (to the best of my ability). Call me a “settler” if you’d like, I won’t condemn you for it :)

You’re definitely settling. Do you really believe Painter’s the absolutely best possible coach P can get?
Just to clarify, you’re willing to give him 2 bad years, then be rebuilding in his 17th year?

Smart caught lightning in a bottle once, he has not impressed since that run. I would pass on him. Our brand isn't sexy and that's not something that a coaching change will fix unless we get some superstar recruiter like Cuonzo.

Here's a thought, imagine we had hired Cuonzo and Painter had wound up at IU. Who would have the better head-to-head results? I wouldn't bet against Painter at a school that historically recruits some highly ranked recruits.

Smart caught lightning in a bottle once, he has not impressed since that run. I would pass on him. Our brand isn't sexy and that's not something that a coaching change will fix unless we get some superstar recruiter like Cuonzo.

Here's a thought, imagine we had hired Cuonzo and Painter had wound up at IU. Who would have the better head-to-head results? I wouldn't bet against Painter at a school that historically recruits some highly ranked recruits.
Okay?

I'll simplify. Pass on Shaka.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. Do you think Painter would have been more successful than he has been if he were at IU or Louisville?
Who cares? Maybe? Crean was successful at IU, and he’s an idiot.

Reactions: BCBtrio
Who cares? Maybe? Crean was successful at IU, and he’s an idiot.
Thanks again for the thoughtful response. If the problem is the Purdue brand and W Laf, then a coaching shake up may not be enough. I'm honestly hoping we get some Brohm effect spillover to make us more attractive. I just don't think that Painter is the problem and I haven't found a better, and realistic, alternative. If you have all the insight and answers please share. I ended up loving the school and city but I sure did enjoy my trips to Ann Arbor, Columbus and Bloomington during college and understand why someone might find any of those locations much more appealing.

Jeff Brohm says hello and thinks it’s really easy to make the Purdue brand sexy. He’s living proof all it takes is a coaching change.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
I'll simplify. Pass on Shaka.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. Do you think Painter would have been more successful than he has been if he were at IU or Louisville?
Painter wouldn’t have lasted 14 years at either school. He’d have been fired long ago.

Jeff Brohm says hello and thinks it’s really easy to make the Purdue brand sexy. He’s living proof all it takes is a coaching change.
I was really high on Painter after he brought in the baby boiler class too. hindsight is 20/20 but in a vacuum painters first several years were very exciting.

First off, I’m not on the fire Painter train. Let that be clear.

IF things go south the next couple years I would look at Jordan at Butler. That program churns out winners.

Stevens, Holtmann, Jordan...even the guy before CH. Can’t recall his name but he got in a bit of trouble. Still was doing well before that. Just my two cents.

First off, I’m not on the fire Painter train. Let that be clear.

IF things go south the next couple years I would look at Jordan at Butler. That program churns out winners.

Stevens, Holtmann, Jordan...even the guy before CH. Can’t recall his name but he got in a bit of trouble. Still was doing well before that. Just my two cents.

Goes south in the next couple of years? Do you honestly think it’s going to go in any other direction? If so, i’d Love to hear how that will happen.

Fred Hoiberg is a free agent. He had a good run at ISU, recruiting in Ames, Iowa. Painter and Bobinski seem pretty tight...I don't see any changes coming anytime soon.
Bobinski hired Thad Matta at X I think. If he was healthy, I could see a motivation for him to stick it to O$U.

Bobinski hired Thad Matta at X I think. If he was healthy, I could see a motivation for him to stick it to O$U.

Very interesting suggestion.

But unfortunately he’s not young enough or healthy enough to be realistic.

Very interesting suggestion.

But unfortunately he’s not young enough or healthy enough to be realistic.
He is just 51 and shown he can recruit with Oden and Conley in state. He also has 2 Final Fours on his resume.

Reactions: bonefish1
He is just 51 and shown he can recruit with Oden and Conley in state. He also has 2 Final Fours on his resume.
Matta would be interesting.
Good recruiter, has had tourney success.
That checks the 2 most important boxes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT