ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Mailbag: Norvell

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Question: Zach Norvell obviously blew up the other day, scoring 53 points while hitting 14 threes. Is Purdue a legit contender for his services and would his game fit with Purdue’s offensive gameplan?

Answer: That's a good question, because I don't know. In the very little I saw of Norvell this summer, which amounted to one game at the Peach Jam, he looked like a Zak Irvin-type catch-and-shoot sort of guy. He reminded me of David Teague in his size, delivery, quick trigger and energy.

I think in a perfect world, Purdue would sign a 2-guard who can be pretty dynamic off the dribble, too, because that's something they don't really have now. Is Norvell that guy? I haven't seen enough of him to say, but he seems more like a jump-shooter, maybe a streaky one. He does play hard and possesses great size, too, so those are very attractive characteristics.

Is Purdue going to push to become a player there? We'll see. As we've said over and over, Purdue doesn't need to sign anything but a point guard. If Purdue does really make him a front-burner prospect, I would think they'd be a real player there, but you have to think Illinois has an inside track there considering the success they've had at Simeon. They do have a lot of wings, however, as it stands now. That's one area John Groce has fared very well in in recruiting, so if there are depth chart considerations, maybe that helps anyone trying to unseat the Illini here.

Purdue won't exactly be empty-handed on the wing in 2016 either, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News