ADVERTISEMENT

MA in the Portal

I said "IF SHE WAS FORCED OUT" I know CKG has told some players to leave in previous years but I do not know if that was the case with Monson, so its supposition.

Yeah, someone stated they hoped Madison would not get minutes in the losers tournament and then continued to crap on her when she opted out. Now he's blaming Madison for MA leaving..... Next we will hear that Madison created Covid in her dorm room closet just to mess with the women's basketball team. Its crazy how far he's taken this vendetta.
Then “If it’s MA leaving because her friend Monson was forced out” is just speculation and not fact. That’s what I wanted to clarify, thank you. Boiler up!
Juan

Reactions: MichaelRR
Michael, are you positive that Monson was forced out? After all she transferred to play in her hometown, where family and friends can watch her play. It looks like she came here for a chance to play at a power 5 school. Evidently she did not get the minutes she was anticipating, so she went back home. Are you saying she was indirectly forced out by limiting her minutes? Because it looked to me like her minutes were a result if her performance in the minutes she did get. On a different subject it's weird how some posters act like ML kicked their dogs or something. The option to opt out of the miningless losers tournament was given to all 4 seniors who'd get zero benefits from playing in it. The extra games were important only for the younger players further development. ML opting out actually provided extra minutes for the players that actually could benefit from them. Looks like much ado about nothing tome. Boiler up!
Juan

I said "IF SHE WAS FORCED OUT" I know CKG has told some players to leave in previous years but I do not know if that was the case with Monson, so its supposition.

Yeah, someone stated they hoped Madison would not get minutes in the losers tournament and then continued to crap on her when she opted out. Now he's blaming Madison for MA leaving..... Next we will hear that Madison created Covid in her dorm room closet just to mess with the women's basketball team. Its crazy how far he's taken this vendetta.
How do you know that Michael? How do we know that’s not just your opinion? You say “you know” but what substantial proof do you offer? We need names, factual evidence, when did you find out? Location. Time. Date all needed for verification. If you can’t produce it, then we will determine you have a vendetta and are just making it up!

Now…. How’s that feel?🤣

Never said Madison was to blame for MA leaving. You’re so quick to jump on people you look kind of ignorant. Read what I said. When things aren’t addressed, THAT can lead to programs losing good players. Thats on the coaches for allowing mediocrity to permeate the locker room. This is what happens when it does.

• Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR
I reiterate, why did she decide to leave? Is it verboten to simply ask her, or ask the coach for the simple reason? Perhaps it would end the wild speculations that we get so frequently.

If its the issues you are making up, then we have an incompetent coach that cannot build a culture or manage the locker room.

If its someone meddling with enough money to make her jump, we have an existential crises and Purdue is probably done as a big time sports program.

If its MA leaving because her friend Monson was forced out, that is again indicative of coaching problems.

For the record, Tara retired at Stanford and they have had their starting power forward, Kiri Iriafen, enter the portal going to SoCal in addition to who they graduated. They won't be a high ranked program next year IMO.
Good points, I've heard you mention a couple times now that Monson was forced out, or at least insinuated she was.

I dont think that was the case at all.
The evidence -

1. Monson was mentioned as one of the hardest workers all season, always calling up coach to get extra shots up.

Why would a player bust their butt? Because they want to play... I doubt a coach would force out one of its hardest workers.

2. She was a phenomenal teammate by all accounts, whether that be on the sidelines or from social media congratulating teammates for their successes.

I don't think a coach would force out a unselfish cultrual player unless we were in a scholarship crunch.

3. The coaches reached out to her, wishing her the best with her transfer.

This was a mutual parting imo. She wanted to play more/maybe even wanted to be closer to home. It seems clear that by committing to a smaller program, she wasn't going to play here, not until JR or SR year if at all. You may not agree with it and that's fine. If you'd care to lay out your reasoning so I can see where you're coming from that'd be cool.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Good points, I've heard you mention a couple times now that Monson was forced out, or at least insinuated she was.

I dont think that was the case at all.
The evidence -

1. Monson was mentioned as one of the hardest workers all season, always calling up coach to get extra shots up.

Why would a player bust their butt? Because they want to play... I doubt a coach would force out one of its hardest workers.

2. She was a phenomenal teammate by all accounts, whether that be on the sidelines or from social media congratulating teammates for their successes.

I don't think a coach would force out a unselfish cultrual player unless we were in a scholarship crunch.

3. The coaches reached out to her, wishing her the best with her transfer.

This was a mutual parting imo. She wanted to play more/maybe even wanted to be closer to home. It seems clear that by committing to a smaller program, she wasn't going to play here, not until JR or SR year if at all. You may not agree with it and that's fine. If you'd care to lay out your reasoning so I can see where you're coming from that'd be cool.
The only thing I have for Monson being POSSIBLY forced out is strong rumors that CKG has run out players before. I agree that with her going to a smaller school in her home state she may have not had the confidence she would work into the rotation in the future or just been homesick.

The only thing I have for Monson being POSSIBLY forced out is strong rumors that CKG has run out players before. I agree that with her going to a smaller school in her home state she may have not had the confidence she would work into the rotation in the future or just been homesick.
Well I can't disagree with you there.. I kinda got the sense some of the former players from past seasons we're encouraged to seek new programs as well.

Reactions: HoopDad317
So we need “strong rumors” to state our position. Got it. Truly Michael, I’m attempting to make a point. You have zero evidence on what you share. If we are going off of strong rumors, how do those compare to weak rumors or a vendetta? I’m being sarcastic, but your response above exactly made my point! And you totally discredited yourself from what you said to me.

How about we all just give our opinions on matters and trust that if someone has inside info, then they do. Just an idea. I agree Monson likely wanted to play and an opportunity close to home opened up. Doesn’t appear to be any issues with her character or work ethic. Seems like another good kid.

Dub-Saw a post you made this morning, a few minutes after you made it, and you said it looked lik MA was going to Stanford. Did you delete that? Cannot find it now. Sorry, cannot see her going to Stanford. While she is good in the Big Ten, I don’t find her to be a Stanford caliber player. Any word on who else is trying to get her?
Stanford is looking like the destination for Stevenson.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Monson was simply looking for more playing time.

As for Stevenson, her situation is a bit more complicated (obviously). I cannot say for certain why she decided to leave beyond just speculation.
Thanks for the updates Dub. It'll be interesting to see how Stevenson fares at a top program like Stanford, if she ends up there.

I wish her the best and hope she finds whatever it is she's looking for.

If she ends up at Stanford, I would say the combination of elite academics and athletics would be pretty hard to turn down. Maybe it’s easier to transfer into the school than get accepted out of high school. Who knows… but I don’t really blame the kid if it is the Cardinal.

They certainly have an opening down low with the loss of their two posts.

Thanks for the updates Dub. It'll be interesting to see how Stevenson fares at a top program like Stanford, if she ends up there.

I wish her the best and hope she finds whatever it is she's looking for.
Agree! I like her game. And she seemed like a solid young lady. Let’s see if Stanford is the place!

Reactions: tomgloe
Stevenson’s decision did not play a factor into Harris flipping.
Ok. Find the timing to be interesting. Players can go into the portal without ever telling their coaches. But it appears MA has done this the right way with her communication. Yet I’m intrigued how you know it didn’t impact Harris. Have you spoken to Harris? Her experience would have been a plus. Oh well. Wish her well. Tomorrow is the last day to enter the portal so I wonder if anything else will change. Thanks Dub!

Ok. Find the timing to be interesting. Players can go into the portal without ever telling their coaches. But it appears MA has done this the right way with her communication. Yet I’m intrigued how you know it didn’t impact Harris. Have you spoken to Harris? Her experience would have been a plus. Oh well. Wish her well. Tomorrow is the last day to enter the portal so I wonder if anything else will change. Thanks Dub!
I have zero knowledge, after MA left perhaps the staff told Harris to look elsewhere, they likely need to bring in 2 post players now, that had to stun them and make them change gears.

Good point.
It was reported today she committed 20 minutes into her visit to purdue but then saw how many guards we had and reconsidered.. you'd think recruits would have a decent handle on the roster going into a visit.

Anyways, this just seemed like a player looking for more playing time after her minutes diminished this season.

Although she could of helped us short term, I'm glad the younger guards will get more PT now.

I agree and understand your point but I think she’s a good kid. I think the kinds of athletes who use the portal to jump from team to team are ridiculous. The struggles Purdue went through this year might have caused her to rethink. My unpopular opinion that laziness, indifference and entitlement from a couple teammates might cause issues on the team, might have been proven here with MA. And maybe not. We have to assume it’s nothing with playing time or the game of basketball itself. So it lends me to believe it’s a culture issue. Something off the court. She clearly wants to win. When coaches are coddling a couple players, I am sure that would get very, very old to be around. Hoping we don’t lose Swanson. Wondering if MA is waiting to see if we have another one enter the portal before she officially decides to leave. That kid played with a broken nose and had surgery, and played without missing a beat. Then she has a teammate, who I heard was cleared to play, weeks before the post season, but chose not to play. Wonder how that made MA feel? She has to kick butt to return, while others loaf? The failure to address those actions can cost a program a great player like MA…

It was reported today she committed 20 minutes into her visit to purdue but then saw how many guards we had and reconsidered.. you'd think recruits would have a decent handle on the roster going into a visit.

Anyways, this just seemed like a player looking for more playing time after her minutes diminished this season.

Although she could have helped us short term, I'm glad the younger guards will get more PT now.
I agree having a one year player doesn’t help
change the culture and trajectory of a system. Anytime a programs top player, goes into the portal, it causes commits to pause and rethink. I appreciate what Dub had to say that it didn’t impact Harris, but I believe it did. I’m sure he is aware that the players talk to commits. We can simply disagree on that point. I also believe MA is in the portal because of off the court concerns she has with the program. I mean when Dub said her situation was “more complex?” Really? A “complex” situation eludes to a “problematic” one. One that can’t be easily fixed or solved. I mean how complex can it be? Why would her decision to go into the portal be so complex? My guess is, it’s because it’s due to something that doesn’t involve her, but impacts her happiness and that it involves the actions of others, thus explaining why it is “complex.” Whatever it is, it should be of concern that she felt she had no option but to leave the program.

I agree having a one year player doesn’t help
change the culture and trajectory of a system. Anytime a programs top player, goes into the portal, it causes commits to pause and rethink. I appreciate what Dub had to say that it didn’t impact Harris, but I believe it did. I’m sure he is aware that the players talk to commits. We can simply disagree on that point. I also believe MA is in the portal because of off the court concerns she has with the program. I mean when Dub said her situation was “more complex?” Really? A “complex” situation eludes to a “problematic” one. One that can’t be easily fixed or solved. I mean how complex can it be? Why would her decision to go into the portal be so complex? My guess is, it’s because it’s due to something that doesn’t involve her, but impacts her happiness and that it involves the actions of others, thus explaining why it is “complex.” Whatever it is, it should be of concern that she felt she had no option but to leave the program.
Or it just could be that Stanford is Stanford, awful good school and program in a climate that doesn’t feature miserable winters.

Or it just could be that Stanford is Stanford, awful good school and program in a climate that doesn’t feature miserable winters.
Agree. Could be that as well. If people think Stanford is going to be awful just because they lost a kid to the portal and their coach retired, think again. They put A LOT of money into their Womens program. Purdue is no where near the eliteness of Stanford. Maybe the kid just wants to win.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Agree. Could be that as well. If people think Stanford is going to be awful just because they lost a kid to the portal and their coach retired, think again. They put A LOT of money into their Womens program. Purdue is no where near the eliteness of Stanford. Maybe the kid just wants to win.
Great post, great school as well, there no downside to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT