ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville hoops in trouble

Have you ever had a daughter, MathBoy?

If not trusting any young man who so much as looked at my daughters made me a sexist, then I am guilty as charged.

I have two daughters, so I know full well what you meant. No need to explain. I came to the conclusion that they both had sense enough to make good decisions when I couldn't be there to guide them. I was lucky in that they were intelligent about their behavior. I am sure they were no angles. They are healthy, energetic young women who are very successful in their own right. A father can only be a protector so long. At some point the child becomes an adult, and you have to accept their decisions..

To be clear, I was not criticizing your comment about parents sending daughters not to have sex at college. What I was saying was that the same comment should be equally applied to sons as well. The idea that my son would be introduced to professional sex workers at a recruiting visit to UL would distress me greatly. As for the inference that co-eds screw athletes at the request of the athletic department, well if that were true, then UL was wasting their money on hookers. Personally, the coed story is a little bit of a myth, IMHO. I am sure some girls decide they want to catch a future-wealthy future-pro athlete, and that might start with a campus tour. Unfortunately, it is really a fundamentally poor strategy, but some girls make bad decisions.
:cool:

Felt the need to throw in my two cents in regards to the pizza comments. Quality pizza is not unlike where you eat a great steak, smoke a premium cigar, or quality whiskey.

I don't begrudge a person that likes Papa John's or enjoy what they consider a great steak at Outback...or smoke Swisher Sweets with Cherry Tips...to each their own...but a pie at Lou Malnati's or Coalfire, or a steak from Gibson's is just simply different imo. My wife still likes Boones Farm, but nobody is going to mistake that for a great wine.

Papa John's is fast food pizza...inexpensive and in the same company of McDonald's for hamburgers and Taco Bell for Mexican food. Many of us don't mind it because it is cheap, quick, and convenient...but certainly not where you go when you want something fresh and authentic imo.

Now this thread is officially all over the place;)

Reactions: punaj
I have two daughters, so I know full well what you meant. No need to explain. I came to the conclusion that they both had sense enough to make good decisions when I couldn't be there to guide them. I was lucky in that they were intelligent about their behavior. I am sure they were no angles. They are healthy, energetic young women who are very successful in their own right. A father can only be a protector so long. At some point the child becomes an adult, and you have to accept their decisions..

To be clear, I was not criticizing your comment about parents sending daughters not to have sex at college. What I was saying was that the same comment should be equally applied to sons as well. The idea that my son would be introduced to professional sex workers at a recruiting visit to UL would distress me greatly. As for the inference that co-eds screw athletes at the request of the athletic department, well if that were true, then UL was wasting their money on hookers. Personally, the coed story is a little bit of a myth, IMHO. I am sure some girls decide they want to catch a future-wealthy future-pro athlete, and that might start with a campus tour. Unfortunately, it is really a fundamentally poor strategy, but some girls make bad decisions.
:cool:
I didn't make the comment about not wanting to send my daughters to college to have sex. That was someone else.

But, most parents that I know teach their daughters to be very careful about trusting young men and it isn't about double standards. It's about vulnerability. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: mathboy
Man, if you think Papa Johns is authentic, you owe yourself a trip to the big apple to sample a couple "New York Slices" to see what pizza should taste like. That nasty bread-dough with sweet ketchup sauce that is flash-cooked in 3 minutes in a convection oven is about as authentic as a UL recruit's four-year plan that includes getting a degree with virginity intact.

Sorry, I know that's a bit snobby but half my family is from New York and they've beat this distinction into my head. You should see their reaction to a pizza cut like a checker-board. My dad's actually sent pizzas back because they didn't respect his wish to cut it like a pie "like real pizza", lol!
While I grew up on the original Pizza King, I've lived all over and there is no question that Papa John's Pizza sucks. Saying it's better than Pizza King of today isn't saying much. I have nothing against John Schlatter, but his pizza is just cardboard with some stuff on top. Any pizza dough that has ever been frozen just won't cut it.

I've heard the raves about New York and Chicago pizza and deservedly so.

This may be sacrilegious, but Detroit has some really good pizza too for you connoisseurs.

Actually, my aunt makes the best homemade Italian pizza......Heller, even you would approve.

I've heard the raves about New York and Chicago pizza and deservedly so.

This may be sacrilegious, but Detroit has some really good pizza too for you connoisseurs.

Actually, my aunt makes the best homemade Italian pizza......Heller, even you would approve.
I actually make my own. But I'm not as good at the crust as those guys in NY. I'm sure I would like your Aunts. The only pizza I won't eat is that Cali crap they call pizza.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT