ADVERTISEMENT

Lots of questions addressed

Old Gold n Black

True Freshman
Nov 24, 2003
There have been a plethora of questions swirling around this board since our awful loss to FDU. The Field of 68 sat down with Painter recently (over a week ago) to address some of those. This is a good listen.

Apologies if this link was shared previously...

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
This way pre-Edey decision? Wonder if that would change any of Painter’s answers. I’m about to listen now.

There have been a plethora of questions swirling around this board since our awful loss to FDU. The Field of 68 sat down with Painter recently (over a week ago) to address some of those. This is a good listen.

Apologies if this link was shared previously...

Painter's interview with The Field of 68

Can you please embed the video in your OP if possible? Im having trouble with the youtube site for some reason. Unless this is available in podcast form.

Not a lot there that you’re missing out on, it’s a short interview. He said he didn’t take transfers other than Jones because we ass Heide and Colvin, and because he wants to “do right” by his guys and not over recruit with the portal. He mentioned the team losing confidence and that he should have played TKR more - and that he will play more this year, (although he did give Newman minutes last year when Morton was having problems on offense - that my comment). I wonder if we just collectively need (another?) sports therapist.

I guess it "feels" good to say your coach watches out and cares about the current players on your roster. But this is Big Boy basketball. You need to get the best players you can and if that means someone's feelings get hurt so be it.

Too harsh? Maybe so but I don't think so.

It's
I guess it "feels" good to say your coach watches out and cares about the current players on your roster. But this is Big Boy basketball. You need to get the best players you can and if that means someone's feelings get hurt so be it.

it's a delicate situation. painter still needs to be able to recruit. I don't think we want our future stars leaving before ever playing due to being recruited over.

I think Painter has realized that while Purdue has some ability to get involved with NIL, neither he nor the donors are going to get in deep.

And the best way to not have to rely on the portal too much and getting tied up into bidding wars for the best guys is to keep the roster turnover to a minimum. So he's not going to recruit over people in a serious way.

There's always going to be attrition and Painter will continue to position to guys that they need to earn their spot but you look at the stability we've had over the last few years compared to some Big Ten schools and I think he's doing really well

It's

it's a delicate situation. painter still needs to be able to recruit. I don't think we want our future stars leaving before ever playing due to being recruited over.
That's a fair point. But I believe Painter said in that interview we have had the least or second least portal players in the country. We are on the extreme end of the scale. A key player here and there wouldn't hurt recruiting.

I could be way off base here, but I just think we haven't used the portal enough to our advantage and hearing CMP say why didn't make me feel any better.

Last edited:
It was good to hear him talk about Cam specifically in a positive way. He was a very highly regarded recruit before he got hurt. It's easy to forget about him, but his offer list is/was very impressive (Texas, Arizona, Marquette, OSU, Creighton).

If he is right physically he could add a lot to this team.

That's a fair point. But I believe Painter said in that interview we have had the least or second least portal players in the country. We are on the extreme end of the scale. A key player here and there wouldn't hurt recruiting.

I could be way off base here, but I just think we haven't used the portal enough to our advantage and hearing CMP say why didn't make me feel any better.
We haven’t used the portal to our advantage, because the ones we really want become. “Pack” situations. We are not going into an arms race or at least we haven’t shown that yet.

It's

seems like most Purdue fans are high on TKR. If as an example Painter found a slightly better player at his position in the portal, would it be worth it? probably 1st thing that would happen is TKR would go into the portal.

What bothers me about all these comments Painter has been making is that he hasn’t given any tangible ideas about what would fix our problem.

He says the problem is we had too many turnovers, we missed too many shots, we lost our confidence.

But what’s the solution? All he says is “we need to be better.” Agreed, but how?

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
seems like most Purdue fans are high on TKR. If as an example Painter found a slightly better player at his position in the portal, would it be worth it? probably 1st thing that would happen is TKR would go into the portal.
I’m high on TKR, some on here aren’t. Immediately after the season I was hoping and stated I wanted to see Renn start at the 4. While not sure if he’ll start Painter’s is saying he’ll get more minutes, for that to happen he’ll need to play at least 10 minutes a game (probably more) at the 4 slot.

What bothers me about all these comments Painter has been making is that he hasn’t given any tangible ideas about what would fix our problem.

He says the problem is we had too many turnovers, we missed too many shots, we lost our confidence.

But what’s the solution? All he says is “we need to be better.” Agreed, but how?
One way to increase confidence might be to mix up the defense with some zone from time to time, like the Heat are doing so effectively in the nba playoffs. That way, when a game is not going well, we can try something different to change the flow of the action.

I don't disagree on that front, last year we need a stud PG and I thought we had one in Pack. We all saw how that worked out. It really comes down to a specific player being available at the right time for the team.

One way to increase confidence might be to mix up the defense with some zone from time to time, like the Heat are doing so effectively in the nba playoffs. That way, when a game is not going well, we can try something different to change the flow of the action.
I don’t watch the NBA, but I thought zone was against the rules. Did they change that rule?

just silly, player doesn't have confidence you put him in a zone he becomes larry bird

Matt is a straight shooter and a stand up guy.
Some of you are not, and would stoop to any tactic, or be as cheap as necessary to WIN.
Being sleazy, recruiting over kids, etc in the name of winning a kids game is really pretty lame and shows the character of the man involved.
We see the coach you would be and we don't want it representing the Boilers.
But KY might be interested if you could actually produce.
Too harsh? Maybe so but I don't' think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveWeight

I believe you get better by work, practice, repetition and experience. Players must be working their butts off and get better, better conditioned and stronger , success will follow.

Maybe you should become an IU or Kentucky or Kansas fan then. I like our coach and his ethics.

Matt is a straight shooter and a stand up guy.
Some of you are not, and would stoop to any tactic, or be as cheap as necessary to WIN.
Being sleazy, recruiting over kids, etc in the name of winning a kids game is really pretty lame and shows the character of the man involved.
We see the coach you would be and we don't want it representing the Boilers.
But KY might be interested if you could actually produce.
Too harsh? Maybe so but I don't' think so.
Sorry I hurt your delicate feelings. Let's hold hands and make everyone feel good.

Maybe you should become an IU or Kentucky or Kansas fan then. I like our coach and his ethics.
What is unethical about recruiting better players? So when you recruit a kid, no matter his production, you should just let it be for the next 4 years and not bring in someone better? How does that work?

He’s got his approach, and not regularly recruiting over players has its benefit. He can use that to his recruiting advantage, because it shows potential recruits how loyal he is to his team - they might not beat out the rest of the roster on a given season, but he believes in who he offered. Kids who sense they aren’t making the impact under those circumstances (whether partially or wholly true) tend to remove themselves from the program - rarely if ever saying anything along the lines of being chased out.

It’s resulted in some strong upper classmen who outperformed expectations after HS. Painter will still take an occasional transfer to plug a hole or experience gap, but only as a secondary adjustment.

I think compared to the NBA-like roster turnover being pursued by other coaches, the contrast with his tactic should give a competitive advantage if he sticks with it and continues to make Purdue associated with player development. Edey told his HS coach he wanted to play at Purdue, not because it was the best school in the country, but because of how Painter develops players. You want kids who know they have the talent and want to be under the best coach to develop it. Does anybody think Edey would have ever become NPOY had he gone to Kentucky? He would’ve been overlooked and over-recruited by sophomore year because that staff chases the shiny at the expense of developing a team and turns over players rather than developing them.

Last edited:
He’s got his approach, and not regularly recruiting over players has its benefit. He can use that to his recruiting advantage, because it shows potential recruits how loyal he is to his team - they might not beat out the rest of the roster on a given season, but he believes in who he offered. Kids who sense they aren’t making the impact under those circumstances (whether partially or wholly true) tend to remove themselves from the program - rarely if ever saying anything along the lines of being chased out.

It’s resulted in some strong upper classmen who outperformed expectations after HS. Painter will still take an occasional transfer to plug a hole or experience gap, but only as a secondary adjustment.

I think compared to the NBA-like roster turnover being pursued by other coaches, the contrast with his tactic should give a competitive advantage if he sticks with it and continues to make Purdue associated with player development. Edey told his HS coach he wanted to play at Purdue, not because it was the best school in the country, but because of how Painter develops players. You want kids who know they have the talent and want to be under the best coach to develop it. Does anybody think Edey would have ever become NPOY had he gone to Kentucky? He would’ve been overlooked and over-recruited by sophomore year because that staff chases the shiny at the expense of developing a team and turns over players rather than developing them.
Good post and I appreciate the take you have.

Specifically to the portal, do you think this approach is the same or any different than traditional "4 year recruiting"? In other words, do you think it would be a detriment to the program to be more aggressive for 1 or 2 year guys versus the traditional out of HS recruiting?

I knew we hadn't taken very many from portal but when he said in the interview that we and Stanford had taken the fewest in the country it caught my attention. Doesn't mean it's automatically a bad thing. But being on the extreme of the spectrum makes me question the strategy. That's all.

just silly, player doesn't have confidence you put him in a zone he becomes larry bird
Do you post on your own, or do you grunt some sounds to your wife/sister and she translates and types it in?

No offense to her, but her punctuation skills, while no doubt suitable for iu's acclaimed general studies program, are lacking at an adult level.

I believe you get better by work, practice, repetition and experience. Players must be working their butts off and get better, better conditioned and stronger , success will follow.

Individuals get better that way, and teams get better at executing their system. But there is going to be limits, and I’m just worried we are hitting them. Last year with two freshmen guards I can understand how one could say that with lots room to grow in the future. The team that lost to St Peters Im less likely to say that with because we had Trevion and Ivey.

My point is that sometimes just practicing more isn’t going to fix the problem. I don’t really know if that’s the case though.

Post of the Week.
Unfortunately some will still read it and not understand.
I do think that the transfer situation has to affect that.
If a guy is only going to be here 1 or 2 years then they have to be ready to play.
And no point in getting them if they aren't going to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT