ADVERTISEMENT

Loss of a Great Boilermaker - Dave Butz

Feb 7, 2007
Regrettably, Dave Butz, one of the greatest DT at Purdue (and in the NFL), has passed away at age 72. I remember, his senior year, Purdue went 5-6 but had 5 players drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Regrettably, Dave Butz, one of the greatest DT at Purdue (and in the NFL), has passed away at age 72. I remember, his senior year, Purdue went 5-6 but had 5 players drafted in the first 2 rounds.

same day and same age as the Ray Guy passing I believe.

Reactions: TX4GB and rgarlitz
Saddened to hear of his passing......was a mountain in the middle of the defensive lines of some really good Washington teams in the '70s and early 80's after starting with the St. Louis Cardinals - George Allen was crafty as usual in acquiring his rights.

RIP Mr. Dave Butz - prayers to his family.

11c408f69de499fd87d190fe93072c41.jpg

They were 6 and 5 in 1972.They blew home games to Bowling Green and Washington,got beaten badly at ND,but rebounded to win 6 of 8 Big Ten games,while outscoring their League opponents 196 to 61.

Reactions: WMichBoiler
I thought they were 4-7 that year but I’m too lazy to look it up. Right about the time they tried the wishbone. I “remember” 9 guys off that team making NFL rosters. Even G. Hrivnak made the Bears roster for a year or two. That was the end of B. DeMoss. In came A. Agase. 🤔

They were 6 and 5 in 1972.They blew home games to Bowling Green and Washington,got beaten badly at ND,but rebounded to win 6 of 8 Big Ten games,while outscoring their League opponents 196 to 61.
Isn’t that the year that Demoss tried the wishbone offense or something similar the first few games , which was a disaster! Great talent on that team, but terrible coaching

Last edited:
Isn’t that the year that Demoss tried the wishbone offense or something similar the first few games , which was a disaster! Great talent on that team, but terrible coaching
Yes.They dropped the Wishbone after the loss to ND and things got better.And the only Big Ten opponents to score more than one touchdown against Purdue were Illinois and MSU.Otis Armstrong earned Consesus All American honors,as did Butz,and Otis was voted League MVP.

Yes.They dropped the Wishbone after the loss to ND and things got better.And the only Big Ten opponents to score more than one touchdown against Purdue were Illinois and MSU.Otis Armstrong earned Consesus All American honors,as did Butz,and Otis was voted League MVP.
got a little story that includes Butz. In the mid 80's? the NY Jets had scrimmage game vs the Redskins at Lafayette college ( Easton, Pa.). I was along the fence behind the Skins bench and Jacoby was next to Butz and Jacoby's wife was about 5 people away to my left. She asked if he needed anything afterwards. Joe yelled over to her and said " Grimm is coming over too get another case". Those scrimmages lasted like 3 yrs. Got to talk to Mike Augistyniak got pics of Butz , Jon Riggins, Rogers, Schroeder, Gastineau, Klecko.

Last edited:
Saddened to hear of his passing......was a mountain in the middle of the defensive lines of some really good Washington teams in the '70s and early 80's after starting with the St. Louis Cardinals - George Allen was crafty as usual in acquiring his rights.

RIP Mr. Dave Butz - prayers to his family.

11c408f69de499fd87d190fe93072c41.jpg
How awesome would it be to resurrect THOSE home and road uniforms!!

My brother in law was an fraternity brother with Butz. Tim was the president of the fraternity. He told me that Butz would carry him on his shoulders during parties. Lot's of good stories. When Dave was voted most valuable for the senior bowl. He took his fraternity brothers out for a weekend of fun. Rest in peace to both of them..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT