ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Chris Holtman had a short unemployment stay

Tough gig. Ray Meyer made them a power back in the Cold War era--gave Purdue all kinds of problems.

But DePaul has been one of the worst high major programs this century.

Wish Holtmann well. Maybe he make something grow there.

Tough gig. Ray Meyer made them a power back in the Cold War era--gave Purdue all kinds of problems.

If he can make DePaul even close to relevant, he will have earned every penny of that contract.

Pretty much agree.

I remember those teams when DePaul was a national power under Ray Meyer in the late 70's and 80's. Four out of five years - #1 seed but the #2-seeded team in '79 came the closest losing a nail-biter to Bird and Indiana State. Goodness - some of those players (Aguirre, Clyde Bradshaw, Cummings, Garland, Corzine, and Rod Strickland among others) could really play. They did have some torturous losses as a top seed, however.

Unfortunately, flash forward, and the DePaul program has just fallen into the abyss - hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2004 and not out of the first weekend since 1987.

They need stability and direction/style of play - consistent recruiting......maybe Holtmann can bring that while not under the bright spotlight like @ Ohio State. He seems like a good man, and we know he can coach - thought he would do better at Ohio State, especially after the start he got. Sometimes a change makes all the difference. Hope it works out for him.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Ray had good kids back then. DePaul’s heyday was mostly pre-MJ, so they had the entire Chicagoland area excited, and me too.

I was saying the same thing yesterday. They haven't been good since Ray Meyer. Early on, Joey had some decent to mediocre teams, and it went downhill from there.

Holtmann obviously isn't afraid to take on a challenge. I'm sure he sees the positives. A Big East school in fertile recruiting grounds. And DePaul seems to be willing to spend the money. There is no reason they can't be successful. Once he makes them respectable, it could make a nice home-and-home series.

Pretty much agree.

I remember those teams when DePaul was a national power under Ray Meyer in the late 70's and 80's. Four out of five years - #1 seed but the #2-seeded team in '79 came the closest losing a nail-biter to Bird and Indiana State. Goodness - some of those players (Aguirre, Clyde Bradshaw, Cummings, Garland, Corzine, and Rod Strickland among others) could really play. They did have some torturous losses as a top seed, however.

Unfortunately, flash forward, and the DePaul program has just fallen into the abyss - hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2004 and not out of the first weekend since 1987.

They need stability and direction/style of play - consistent recruiting......maybe Holtmann can bring that while not under the bright spotlight like @ Ohio State. He seems like a good man, and we know he can coach - thought he would do better at Ohio State, especially after the start he got. Sometimes a change makes all the difference. Hope it works out for him.
I wonder how this will effect the OSU portal with transfers to DePaul?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT