ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Like Versyp stays?

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Certainly was not going to be an announcement during the men's incredible run. No dousing fire with negative news! But enough time has transpired now that one would think any change might come up. I know that is really disappointing, if true, for most of this board. But she does have a very good core returning, and a solid big forward to help Harris. It is what it is. The BT is what it is also, our champ Iowa getting drilled by Baylor. Not much to write home about. Thus, in BT, our talent level may get us in the Dance next year and maybe a level or two.
P.S. But curious to see if our normal pattern of losing players and destroying our depth persists.

Reactions: pufan73
It’s only been 2 days. We’ll see. Maybe she gets 1 more year to right the ship since next year looks to have solid foundation with returning players and some new talent.
You’re right about the Iowa v. Baylor matchup. Watched a lot of the game and happy to see Gustafson get over the 1,000 point mark. But it was a real beat-down, and embarrassing for B10 champ.
[honestly, if I played for Kim Mulkey, I’d be scared not to play at full-on breakneck pace and leave it all on floor - that woman is scary!]. Haha!

It’s only been 2 days. We’ll see. Maybe she gets 1 more year to right the ship since next year looks to have solid foundation with returning players and some new talent.
You’re right about the Iowa v. Baylor matchup. Watched a lot of the game and happy to see Gustafson get over the 1,000 point mark. But it was a real beat-down, and embarrassing for B10 champ.
[honestly, if I played for Kim Mulkey, I’d be scared not to play at full-on breakneck pace and leave it all on floor - that woman is scary!]. Haha!
I could have sworn she was 3 pts shy of 1000. It doesn't matter. I hope Versyp can keep the team together for once and have some depth.

Certainly was not going to be an announcement during the men's incredible run. No dousing fire with negative news! But enough time has transpired now that one would think any change might come up. I know that is really disappointing, if true, for most of this board. But she does have a very good core returning, and a solid big forward to help Harris. It is what it is. The BT is what it is also, our champ Iowa getting drilled by Baylor. Not much to write home about. Thus, in BT, our talent level may get us in the Dance next year and maybe a level or two.
P.S. But curious to see if our normal pattern of losing players and destroying our depth persists.

Three very high quality players is as nice start, but there must be five more good Big Ten players. Even if both recruits fit that bill there will not be. If a change is not made, either the A.D. doesn't consider women's basketball a high priority or there is someone with lots of power who is preventing a change.

By the way, Duffy has interviewed at Xavier.

Reactions: Gesysp and Carolsh
If Versyp leaves, Purdue is going to have to start completely over as I would imagine 5-6 players would transfer immediately. I would imagine many of the commits would decommit as well. (I have this on good authority.)

I don't think the admin is going to get rid of Versyp because she hunts a specific type of recruit and if she left, they would all be gone as well. Purdue would quickly move to the bottom of the Big Ten for a few years.

We are already irrelevant. At least we would have some hope of climbing out of the mess we’ve been in for the last decade.
Well, you're correct. I want to at least see one more year with the group that is there now.

If Versyp leaves, Purdue is going to have to start completely over as I would imagine 5-6 players would transfer immediately. I would imagine many of the commits would decommit as well. (I have this on good authority.)

I don't think the admin is going to get rid of Versyp because she hunts a specific type of recruit and if she left, they would all be gone as well. Purdue would quickly move to the bottom of the Big Ten for a few years.

BS. Hire a good coach with a great background, solid coaching and recruiting experience and proven success as a winner at mid major level or higher and we will be in great shape. If her roster reflects the seeking of a certain type and recruit it speaks volumes! In thirteen years she has never sniffed a regular season championship with players she recruited.

There are probably more than $600,000 reasons why she won't.

You do realize that the only way you avoid paying a buyout is to either wait until after the 2021-22 season or reassign her to a position within the university and insure her employment in a high level athletic department administrative job. That means three more years without being able to insure recruits who their coach would be. what sort of program do you think it will be when it is more than 20 years since the last FF appearance and Big Ten Title?

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor.../versyp-receives-contract-extension/85523598/

You do realize that the only way you avoid paying a buyout is to either wait until after the 2021-22 season or reassign her to a position within the university and insure her employment in a high level athletic department administrative job. That means three more years without being able to insure recruits who their coach would be. what sort of program do you think it will be when it is more than 20 years since the last FF appearance and Big Ten Title?

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor.../versyp-receives-contract-extension/85523598/
What a great deal these coaches have in today's world. They can leave the players and the university high and dry to pursue another opportunity while under contract. They can also extort the money out of their contract for getting fired for poor performance or other termination reasons. Being held hostage for these exorbitant contracts is so unfair.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I imagine she gets 1 more year, entire starting 5 is back along with the top bench players. If everyone returns along with the other transfer and recruits team will be tourney bound. Having said that, at best probably a 3-4th place finish and maybe winning a game in the dance, hardly inspiring!

I imagine she gets 1 more year, entire starting 5 is back along with the top bench players. If everyone returns along with the other transfer and recruits team will be tourney bound. Having said that, at best probably a 3-4th place finish and maybe winning a game in the dance, hardly inspiring!
Well based on past performance, that will probably buy her an extension.

Reactions: pufan73

There are times when having all your bench back is an asset. There are other times when having 5-6 promising freshmen recruits is a far better road to be traveling. Tourney bound? We could have been tourney bound this year and have given that raw, unproven bench some valuable PT. Let’s see who finishes higher next year. Purdue who passed on the WNIT, or Northwestern who will be playing for the title.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigohh
There are times when having all your bench back is an asset. There are other times when having 5-6 promising freshmen recruits is a far better road to be traveling. Tour
There are times when having all your bench back is an asset. There are other times when having 5-6 promising freshmen recruits is a far better road to be traveling. Tourney bound? We could have been tourney bound this year and have given that raw, unproven bench some valuable PT. Let’s see who finishes higher next year. Purdue who passed on the WNIT, or Northwestern who will be playing for the title.
Des, I actually want her out as Coach, I do believe the teams lack of depth cost the
ney bound? We could have been tourney bound this year and have given that raw, unproven bench some valuable PT. Let’s see who finishes higher next year. Purdue who passed on the WNIT, or Northwestern who will be playing for the title.
Well based on past performance, that will probably buy her an extension.
Yuck, lets hope not, if everyone returns they'll make it in, however, that's not a huge accomplishment. I do think Oden, McGlauthlin, Harris are a nice trio of players, Farquarer and
Des, I'm in agreement with you, just guessing that the admin lets her roll one more year with every starter returning. I do think if everyone stays that played in the rotation this year that the ladies make the tourney next year, this year lack of depth hurt them, next year they should be able to at least go 8-9 deep.

Hardin, Gony, Diagne, Whilby, Stallings, and the new ones, at least Woltman and Grant. Although the first four listed will be a drop off (Wilby did show some promise) Woltman and Grant will contribute. She will have a bench that prob won't kill them and give the stars respite. Therefore, if this holds and that has been a huge IF for years, this team should compete for a top 4 BT spot. That's all we got,folks and many other BT teams will be worse.
P.S. Above, do not forget Traynor who will be very good.

Reactions: DocRon
9 deep? Who are players 6 through 9??
Whilby, Woltman, Grant, Diagne were who I was referring to. Whilby was hurt this year, she dhowed promise in the Big Ten tourney, Grant a transfer averaged around 10 a game at Pacific, she should contribute, Woltman a top 25 recruit, and Diagne should be the 9 player rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT