Looking Forward: Purdue vs. Eastern Michigan

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Key Players:
Purdue:
QB Elijah Sindelar: 18/30 60% 196 yards 1TD 3INT 105.9 rating
WR Rondale Moore: 2 att 79 yards 11 rec 109 yards 2 TD's 125 total KO return yards (leads NCAA in All Purpose yards)
WR Jared Sparks: 6 rec 76 yards
RB DJ Knox: 7 att 77 yards
LB Markus Bailey: 7 solo 2 assist
CB Tim Cason: 2 solo 3 passes defended
S Jacob Thieneman: 6 solo 2 assist
DL Lorenzo Neal: 3 solo 1 assist

Eastern Michigan:

QB Tyler Wiegers: 18/21 85.7% 238 yards 2 TD 0 INT 212.3 rating (former QB at Iowa-stats from 2018)
WR Blake Banham: 8 rec 103 yards 1 TD (2018)
RB Ian Eriksen: 12 att 44 yards
LB Kobie Beltram: 3 solo 6 assist .5 sack .5 TFL (2018)
DB Justin Moody: 5 solo 3 assist (2018)
DE Max Crosby: 11 sacks in 2017 as a sophomore

Eastern Michigan appears to have a very solid offensive line that features some bigger bodies with an ability to give QB Tyler Wiegers time in the pocket to find his receivers (evidence from the near 86% completion percentage against Monmouth (yes, I know Monmouth is terrible). Purdue needs to have more success in generating a pass rush if they want to disrupt the timing of Wiegers.

Schedules:
On EMU's schedule, this is the big opponent for the MAC team to make a statement leading in to their MAC season and hopefully finding a bowl game. EMU now plays 3 consecutive home games after opening with Monmouth (Purdue, Buffalo, SDSU).

Purdue can ill afford to lose this game, let alone struggle, if it wants to see a second consecutive bowl bid under Coach Brohm. Cleaning up the penalties and the poor decisions from Sindelar are a must to get a win against a quality MAC program only two years removed from a 7-6 season and a bowl game.

Questions Leading in to EMU:
Purdue will look to use the extended week to answer some questions:
1. Can Elijah Sindelar clean up his poor decisions to continue to push what appeared to be a very good offensive attack with him at QB (3 INT's)
2. Will Purdue clean up the sloppy play that negated a lot of good things on both sides of the ball and cost Purdue a chance at going for the win near the end of the 4th quarter (9 penalties for 95 yards)
3. How will Purdue grow from game 1 to 2 under the direction of DC Nick Holt, specifically how to generate a more consistent presence in the backfield (zero sacks & 3 TFL's)?
4. How will Coach Brohm continue to use Rondale Moore to get him matched up against inferior athletically players (that would pretty much be everyone on the field) like LB's and S's?
5. Will the CB's take another step forward in what was a very strong second half showing against NU to shut down the EMU passing attack?

Prediction:
The issues fans saw with the Boilers against NU should be correctable by one of the best overall staffs in college football. The issues of poor decision making by Elijah Sindelar, poor effort by the defense in the first half, and silly mistakes and penalties are ones that a good HC with a good staff can easily make. This is why many people say the most improvement you will see from a team is between week 1 and week 2 and the positives from the NU game lead me to believe Purdue will be able to stretch the lead in the first half and allow some younger players a chance to get their feet wet.

Purdue: 44
EMU: 23

Last edited:
Key Players:
Purdue:
WR Rondale Moore: 2 att 79 yards 11 rec 109 yards 3 TD's 125 total KO return yards (leads NCAA in All Purpose yards)

Eastern Michigan:

QB Tyler Wiegers: 18/21 85.7% 238 yards 2 TD 0 INT 212.3 rating (former QB at Iowa-stats from 2018)

Eastern Michigan appears to have a very solid offensive line that features some bigger bodies with an ability to give QB Tyler Wiegers time in the pocket to find his receivers (evidence from the near 86% completion percentage against Monmouth (yes, I know Monmouth is terrible). Purdue needs to have more success in generating a pass rush if they want to disrupt the timing of Wiegers.

Schedules:
On EMU's schedule, this is the big opponent for the MAC team to make a statement leading in to their MAC season and hopefully finding a bowl game. EMU now plays 3 consecutive home games after opening with Monmouth (Purdue, Buffalo, SDSU).

Purdue can ill afford to lose this game, let alone struggle, if it wants to see a second consecutive bowl bid under Coach Brohm. Cleaning up the penalties and the poor decisions from Sindelar are a must to get a win against a quality MAC program only two years removed from a 7-6 season and a bowl game.

1. Can Elijah Sindelar clean up his poor decisions to continue to push what appeared to be a very good offensive attack with him at QB (3 INT's)
2. Will Purdue clean up the sloppy play that negated a lot of good things on both sides of the ball and cost Purdue a chance at going for the win near the end of the 4th quarter (9 penalties for 95 yards)
3. How will Purdue grow from game 1 to 2 under the direction of DC Nick Holt, specifically how to generate a more consistent presence in the backfield (zero sacks & 3 TFL's)?
4. How will Coach Brohm continue to use Rondale Moore to get him matched up against inferior athletically players (that would pretty much be everyone on the field) like LB's and S's?
5. Will the CB's take another step forward in what was a very strong second half showing against NU to shut down the EMU passing attack?

Prediction:
The issues fans saw with the Boilers against NU should be correctable by one of the best overall staffs in college football. The issues of poor decision making by Elijah Sindelar, poor effort by the defense in the first half, and silly mistakes and penalties are ones that a good HC with a good staff can easily make. This is why many people say the most improvement you will see from a team is between week 1 and week 2 and the positives from the NU game lead me to believe Purdue will be able to stretch the lead in the first half and allow some younger players a chance to get their feet wet.

Moore only has two TDS. Knox scored the other one.

I hope we don’t give up 23. We only gave up 31 despite 3 turnovers (and didn’t allow any second half points) against a very formidable NW offense.

Moore only has two TDS. Knox scored the other one.

I hope we don’t give up 23. We only gave up 31 despite 3 turnovers (and didn’t allow any second half points) against a very formidable NW offense.
Believe it will probably be around 13 points in the 4th quarter and the second team defense will give up some points but Brohm has got to get some of those guys time on the field. Don’t forget the 4 games players can play in and remain a redshirt. This game has the opportunity to get some of those guys in.

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler800
Who starts for this game at QB?

I am assuming it will be Sindelar again. Sure, he made two very costly INTs in the NW game, but I think the coaching staff can work that out this week in practice.

Reactions: chiboiler7

I am assuming it will be Sindelar again. Sure, he made two very costly INTs in the NW game, but I think the coaching staff can work that out this week in practice.
I think the guys on 101.7 (it might have been Brian) who said the offense just looked different and more lethal with Elijah at QB with his ability to stretch the field and make the sideline to sideline throws. However, David brings a very nice running element that defenses have to account for on top of being a very good passer himself.

My guess:
Elijah gets the start and goes the entire first half with ththe exception of a series or two to have David provide a change of pace.

The second half Elijah gets the first possession and if the game is in control, we see David for the third quarter. If the game is totally in control, we may see Plummer get the fourth quarter and use one of his four games for his RS year.

Reactions: 72Boiler

He has telegraphed his passes forever. Why haven't coaches corrected him before this?

He has telegraphed his passes forever. Why haven't coaches corrected him before this?
I don't think he is telegraphing his throws as much as he is relying on his initial read of what the defense is giving him and going with that. At one point I saw some great presence by Sindelar when he went to throw and instead pump faked and went to the other side of the field. That play alone should signify his ability to make multiple reads and go through his progression at a quick rate to find the open receiver. The difference is that Sindelar must do that within the pocket whereas Blugh is able to do that while escaping the pocket more.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I just hope they don't play down to their compition. And if they don't, I'd like to see JP get 2 quarters so the coaches get a look at what they've got to work with. Still keeps his redshirt.

A few updates:
ESPN's FPI puts Purdue as an 87.4% favorite.
Vegas puts the line currently at -17 for Purdue.
The over/under is currently at 55.5. (If I had some money to spare, I'd bet the over every time on this game).

A few updates:
ESPN's FPI puts Purdue as an 87.4% favorite.
Vegas puts the line currently at -17 for Purdue.
The over/under is currently at 55.5. (If I had some money to spare, I'd bet the over every time on this game).
I would normally say that the over would be a good bet in a game like this. However, I have not seen the updated weather forecast in the last 24 hours. I am wondering if that could affect it from hitting 55.5.

I would normally say that the over would be a good bet in a game like this. However, I have not seen the updated weather forecast in the last 24 hours. I am wondering if that could affect it from hitting 55.5.
Accuweather shows rain in the late morning and stopping shortly after kickoff. If that blows through quicker, then it could be that the ground is wet but the conditions are dry. Either way, as long as it isn't a torrential downpour and/or windy, don't think it really has much of an effect on the game plan or game. If it is windy, I'd be surprised if Blough didn't start given his increase in mobility.

Accuweather shows rain in the late morning and stopping shortly after kickoff. If that blows through quicker, then it could be that the ground is wet but the conditions are dry. Either way, as long as it isn't a torrential downpour and/or windy, don't think it really has much of an effect on the game plan or game. If it is windy, I'd be surprised if Blough didn't start given his increase in mobility.
NWS flash flood warning for WL all day Saturday.

Key Players:
Purdue:
WR Rondale Moore: 2 att 79 yards 11 rec 109 yards 2 TD's 125 total KO return yards (leads NCAA in All Purpose yards)

Eastern Michigan:

Schedules:

Prediction:

Something tells me the weather will be a big factor.

I'm going with 27-14 Boilers.

I think the 2nd half will be a ball control half with the Boilers leading and very wet conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT