ADVERTISEMENT

List your #3 REALISTIC choices for HC...not Gruden, Briles, Herman, etc...

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
1. PJ Fleck: he may inevitably go somewhere else so we may need to hope that teams like PSU, NU, and other middle of the road P5 teams to do well that may change coaches. Our advantage for Fleck is the close location being in his coaching backyard, being in the B1G, and in a division that appears to be easier to win in.

2. Les Miles: not sure it will happen but he could serve as an instant upgrade and get the program moving forward. He may be older (63) but if he can push the program forward for 5-6 years and get to 6-7 wins...that would leave the program in a position to have a larger pool to hire from. Plus, the circumstances surrounding his dissmisal at LSU may have lit a bit of a fire for him.

3. Greg Schiano: He makes a good amount of scratch at OSU ($600k) and only signed a one year deal. That screams to me he is highly interested in getting a new HC job. He proved he can do it at Rutgers and having more resources at Purdue may prove he is ready for a bigger job. He played at Bucknell so there isn't a threat of 'going home' somewhere BUT he does have experience at Miami (FL) so he might be interested of Richt doesn't cut it and Schiano improves the Boilers back to respect.

Other than that, I have a number of choices that I think would be able to push Purdue forward and whoever does is going to look like a damn good coach doing so.

List of Others:
Craig Bohl (HC Wyoming)
Major Applewhite (OC Houston)
Lincoln Riley (OC Oklahoma)
Scott Satterfield (HC Appalachain State)
Trent Miles (HC Georgia State)

I would be more than happy to post my rationale for any of these additional guys that I listed as well.

That's a pretty good list. Not sure I have Les Miles that high, BUT... it comes down to the highest one on the list of those interested in the job. I'd guess there are feelers going out that will inform MBob of the type of candidate he could expect to land at the end of the year.

Personally I would rank all the coordinators down a notch. Prefer someone who has proven to lead a successful program.

Folks are going to be in for shock when they realize Fleck isn't coming here.

1A. Les Miles
1B. Charlie Strong
2. Phillip Montgomery - Tulsa HC, formely Baylor OC
3. Brent Venebles - Clemson DC
4. Scott Saterfield - Appy State HC

I imagine some former NFL coaches are available right now (or will be soon). I'm not going to take the time to look up unemployed guys that have had success at that level but I just think the program could get an equally good coach from that level instead of it having strictly be candidates from the college football ranks.

Northwestern fan just stopping by. Hope you guys land a good coach. Based on the names thrown around, Schiano seems to me like the best choice. People forget how good of a job he did turning Rutgers around.

Reactions: TMA62 and Cleanface
I imagine some former NFL coaches are available right now (or will be soon). I'm not going to take the time to look up unemployed guys that have had success at that level but I just think the program could get an equally good coach from that level instead of it having strictly be candidates from the college football ranks.

NO...to someone from the NFL. We need someone who can recruit too...not someone who has never recruited.

1. Schiano
2. PJF
3. Les Miles

I think Charlie Strong would be a home run if he's available. Any of those four would be incredible IMO. Not sure they are all realistic tho.

Last edited:
Holgerson and Leach? Might as well shoot for Sumlin if we think we can poach a successful P5 coach.

I think if you guys can land Miles and use the TV money, you can instantly increase your program's credibility for your recruiting staff. You're going to have to pay him and his staff and you're going to have to be patient as he rebuilds your lines. That takes a couple recruiting classes and a couple years. You may find that he gets your next head coach as a coordinator.

My Dana Holgorsen (and Doc Holiday) suggestions were tongue-in-cheek. They were the only other DH coaches I could come up with..
Gotcha. Holgerson has been mentioned before not in jest.. although it's hard to tell who is serious and who isn't.

Philip Montgomery/Tulsa, Mike Norvell/Memphis, and Bryan Harsin/Boise State (though Harsin is a long shot in my opinion).

Bo-Mad.png

Might consider these guys
1. Chad Morris- HC SMU offensive guy who is young and energetic.
2.Frank Solich HC Ohio experienced, solid guy who is familiar with the Midwest
3.Brent Vebables (sp) DC Clemson Great recruiter and outstanding football mind

Applewhite, miles, Kiffin.
Need a name recruits recognize to get us back on track...even if the coach only stays 3 years.

Solich! lol and people are concerned with LM age

Actually, Solich makes a lot of sense for 4 years or so. He has proven he can win.

Understand the concern about his age and he's not a long-term hire. He would be able to stay for 3-4 years and achieve better results than the previous regime. No flame, but great coaches are not going to line up for this job and the Big 10 can be overwhelming to a young coach from a mid-major. If FS is even moderately successful the job would become more attractive when he left.

Is Niumatalolo locked in at Navy with no plans to go anywhere? Obviously it would be a step down for him based on the current state of both programs, but would the ceiling be higher at Purdue than Navy? Just wondering people's thoughts, since you don't seem to ever hear him mentioned.

I mentioned Greg Roman a couple of weeks ago.

There's a $hit ton of rumors going around about Miles to PU. The more I read about him, the more intrigued I am.
The only negative is at 62, we're probably looking for a new coach in 6-8 yrs.

Solich is old....too old....I'll take another former Nebraska coach who got fired and is now coaching in Ohio by the name of Bo Pelini though.

There's a $hit ton of rumors going around about Miles to PU. The more I read about him, the more intrigued I am.
The only negative is at 62, we're probably looking for a new coach in 6-8 yrs.
And if he can get Purdue back to 6-8 wins a year, the next Herman or Fleck will actually be on the radar for the Purdue job OR an assistant on staff could take over.

I think bringing in Miles and telling him no to Cam Cameron and trying to get Orgeron as the DC would be incredible.

Reactions: D A Y
Les Miles would be a huge get for Purdue. He's a high character guy, a pretty good recruiter and players seem to genuinely like him. on the negative side he's not the bsst clock manager or game day coach.

Is Niumatalolo locked in at Navy with no plans to go anywhere? Obviously it would be a step down for him based on the current state of both programs, but would the ceiling be higher at Purdue than Navy? Just wondering people's thoughts, since you don't seem to ever hear him mentioned.
Great coach. But if he didn't leave Navy for BYU last year (he's Mormon), highly doubt he'd come to Purdue. He's spent almost his entire coaching career at Navy.

Reactions: Mighty Argyll
1. PJ Fleck: I love his passion & energy. He's a great recruiter and plus he has a experience building a program.

2. Les Miles: Great coach but I don't think his offensive philosophy would work for Purdue. However he would bring a lot of excitement to the program.

3. Dino Babers: I doubt he leaves Syracuse after one season. I love his offense & he knows Purdue.

I wonder what connections the new AD has and what personality he prefers. This is the big thing.

I hate to have to put this stipulation on a hire, but Purdue is such an unusual place with such an unusual situation with $, academics, etc., you almost need to hire someone who truly knows what they are getting in to. Someone who played here or worked here... Even if it was a season. Hazell thought he knew Purdue from coming in as an opposing assistant. It is such a different animal.

I think choices I have read are obvious, but expect the unexpected.

Reactions: indianphil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT