ADVERTISEMENT

Last play of the half at Iowa vs iu

gelesen

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
What about that last play of the half. First off, IU did not get the ball in-bounded in the 5 count, Then Iowa fouled Yogi, but no call, then Yogi walked and no call, then they did call a foul and it was ruled intentional. Unbelievable. Hope this craziness is limited when we visit. As a side note, when you try to foul when you have fouls to give and they don't call it, so you foul a little more demonstratively and they call it intentional???? What are you supposed to do? The Iowa player just swatted at his arm, then Yogi went into his act.

I was blown away the walk. Yogi picked up the ball, made two steps like he was going to shot, then continued dribbling. WTF? The refs were jobbing Iowa badly in that sequence.

:cool:

The Iowa player grabbed Yogi's arm enough to spin him around... seriously, swatted at?? SMH

I understand your hatred for all things IU but have you ever seen a ref call an intentional because of swatting at someone?? after a review? geez.

The Iowa player grabbed Yogi's arm enough to spin him around... seriously, swatted at?? SMH

I understand your hatred for all things IU but have you ever seen a ref call an intentional because of swatting at someone?? after a review? geez.
Yes he did grab the arm, but Little Yogi did a bit of an acting job as well. And what about Little Yogi's stroll in the park where he walked? While I won't say IU got every call, I will say the ref's doing college games pretty much suck swampwater. Where's Ed Hightower when you need him.

Jesus, a thread about one play in the IU vs. IOWA game? wow. IU played ok, but Iowa had a bad game (rare bad game). Uthoff was the only star on the floor. All of the other players on the floor were really stinky and that tells you who is going to win the BIG TEN, either us or Maryland. Boiler^

I see this as a thread about poor officiating, not so much about Iowa vs IU. Yogi's blatant walk was just before he was fouled (by Jok, I think). I really don't think the refs had much to do with the outcome of this game, but they were not doing their job with even the most basic rules.

:cool:

I will certainly agree proper officiating is a lost art. I don't really watch any other conferences but the BiG definitely has it's share of poorly officiated games. Last nights game was a bit jeckyl / hyde in the sense that bodies were flying one minute and then they'd call a touch foul up top. On one instance, Iowa drove the lane and the ref actually waited to see if the ball was going to go in before blowing the whistle.

I don't specifically remember Yogi walking on the play being talked about but on one play Yogi was called for a block when the ball handler clearly extended his forearm and pushed him away. So I guess it somewhat evens out.

Reactions: mathboy
this game was an officiating gem compared to pu/msu. There were a handful of stinkers, but nothing like that game. The less they blow the whistle the better.

this game was an officiating gem compared to pu/msu. There were a handful of stinkers, but nothing like that game. The less they blow the whistle the better.
You and the commentators are what has ruined the game IMHO. BItching about too many whistles is why the refs swallow theirs and let mayhem reign until it starts to get out of hand. If the refs started out calling every foul and kept doing it until the players figured out the program we would not have these poorly reffed games where the guys are trying to maintain control by making judgement calls on which fouls to call rather than call them all. I realize some games would get very long and tedious but once the rules were enforced consistently every time the game would return to what it used to be which was a basic non contact sport of skill rather than football on hardwood.

You and the commentators are what has ruined the game IMHO. BItching about too many whistles is why the refs swallow theirs and let mayhem reign until it starts to get out of hand. If the refs started out calling every foul and kept doing it until the players figured out the program we would not have these poorly reffed games where the guys are trying to maintain control by making judgement calls on which fouls to call rather than call them all. I realize some games would get very long and tedious but once the rules were enforced consistently every time the game would return to what it used to be which was a basic non contact sport of skill rather than football on hardwood.
Yep. I ruined basketball. Not point shaving officials. YOU CAUGHT THE TATER!

Reactions: hoosier48

There is no intentional foul anymore just flagrant ones and twos. It was a foul but calling that flagrant was bullshit.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I will certainly agree proper officiating is a lost art. I don't really watch any other conferences but the BiG definitely has it's share of poorly officiated games. Last nights game was a bit jeckyl / hyde in the sense that bodies were flying one minute and then they'd call a touch foul up top. On one instance, Iowa drove the lane and the ref actually waited to see if the ball was going to go in before blowing the whistle.

I don't specifically remember Yogi walking on the play being talked about but on one play Yogi was called for a block when the ball handler clearly extended his forearm and pushed him away. So I guess it somewhat evens out.
Looking back on that play were yogi walked, he may have been fouled just before. He probably picked his dribble in anticipation of a whistle. When that didn't happen, he continued his move to the basket. No big deal, but it just points out how poorly the game was officiated. Yogi has some faults, but double dribbling is pretty rare.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Looking back on that play were yogi walked, he may have been fouled just before. He probably picked his dribble in anticipation of a whistle. When that didn't happen, he continued his move to the basket. No big deal, but it just points out how poorly the game was officiated. Yogi has some faults, but double dribbling is pretty rare.
However carrying the ball with his hesitation dribble, pushing the defender away with his off arm and flopping are constants.

lol.....in other words:

"We are jealous that IU controlled for the entire game, the same team that swept us."
7 posts since 2011, thanks for your quality and quantity of input!

I'm sure we are just as jealous as IU is of us beating WI and Penn ST. Take it somewhere else.

7 posts since 2011, thanks for your quality and quantity of input!

Actually, it just means he's only posted 7 times since the switch last year... same as me. I've been around for ages but was banned from posting here after you guys lost an NCAA game about 4 years ago.

I'm glad I was allowed back, I'll try to behave.. ;)

Jesus, a thread about one play in the IU vs. IOWA game? wow. IU played ok, but Iowa had a bad game (rare bad game). Uthoff was the only star on the floor. All of the other players on the floor were really stinky and that tells you who is going to win the BIG TEN, either us or Maryland. Boiler^

I'm sure you really believed what you typed. You're either a) a comple moron or b) a delusional homer who has trouble coming to grips with reality. Even before that studly performance PUke just put on against that powerhouse Michigan team, the 3 teams that were in contention to win the Big Ten were Maryland, Indiana and Iowa. Nobody else.

If it makes you feel better about yourself to type Purdue's name in the same sentence as Maryland, and to not include Indiana or Iowa's name, then knock yourself out. Just know that it will not change the reality, and that is that Iowa, Indiana and Maryland are the class of the Big Ten.....and Purdue will be lucky to finish 5th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT