ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Jones flagrant thread

They didn't even call it a foul on the floor. Just out of bounds. That's why commentators were thinking they reviewed it to see who the ball went out on. One of the worst calls I've seen in a long time.
Exactly. They should only be going to the monitor to review out of bounds. My guess is after seeing it a million times in slow motion they convinced themselves it was a common foul, but the only way to call a foul on the replay is if they upgrade it to a flagrant. B1G needs to investigate since it effected spread. Jones did back up, but Gurrier was already ON HIS BACK. What are you supposed to do, let someone crush you?

I would love to see the replay, I did not see Jones move his feet, if so, how could he be backing up and how could he jump if someone is on his back. No one even considered the Gillis fall...Sad and bias.

my two cents - if we are in the business of reviewing calls/plays after the fact, then upgrade the first half call when Mason got shoved while grabbing the rebound. That is potentially a flagrant 2 because there was intent to cause actual harm. Next, think it was the second half, when Edey got fouled by Goode on a rebound. Watch that clip and it is classic hook and hold - flagrant 1. There was another in the first half when Hawkins was battling for a rebound against Edey where it was a hook and hold - flagrant 1. Lastly, Hawkins should have been assessed a tech for complaining about the tackle on Jones’ 3 pointer.

The Illinois coach mentioned that they don't match up well up front with Purdue, but have a size advantage at guard and the wing. "Purdue is very small." Well, Jones, Smith and Loyer are small next to Illinois guards all coming in at six foot six and athletic. The problem Purdue has as the size wore them down is they did not have their advantage with Zach out or playing passively with three or four fouls. He is not used to playing with foul issues.

The refs probably know the rules better than I do (and most on this site) and they reviewed the play in slow motion and thought it warranted a flagrant foul. Unless you think they have some kind of bias, I may not like it, but I'll accept their judgement.

The Illinois coach mentioned that they don't match up well up front with Purdue, but have a size advantage at guard and the wing. "Purdue is very small." Well, Jones, Smith and Loyer are small next to Illinois guards all coming in at six foot six and athletic. The problem Purdue has as the size wore them down is they did not have their advantage with Zach out or playing passively with three or four fouls. He is not used to playing with foul issues.
Yes, Yes, Yes. Purdue doesn't have an answer for larger guards who can post up with Edey out of the game. TKR offers no rim protection and Furst is a liability on offense.

When Edey goes out of the game it totally changes the game both offensively and defensively.

What I’d like to see is just some consistency with the flagrant foul calls. Gillis going down in the first half was clearly a flagrant as the Illini player was not making a play on the ball. Compare that to Loyer’s take foul in the previous game. Also, one could argue that Edey gets multiple flagrants on him during games as players are intentionally fouling him with no intent to play the ball. The officials don’t call it because Edey is so big he can take it. You don’t penalize a player for being big. Get some consistency refs.

Reactions: Schnelk
my two cents - if we are in the business of reviewing calls/plays after the fact, then upgrade the first half call when Mason got shoved while grabbing the rebound. That is potentially a flagrant 2 because there was intent to cause actual harm. Next, think it was the second half, when Edey got fouled by Goode on a rebound. Watch that clip and it is classic hook and hold - flagrant 1. There was another in the first half when Hawkins was battling for a rebound against Edey where it was a hook and hold - flagrant 1. Lastly, Hawkins should have been assessed a tech for complaining about the tackle on Jones’ 3 pointer.
Goode himself retweeted a video of that one, implying that he didn't do anything wrong and that he was the victim. Edey reaches past Goode, and Goode just grabs Edey's arm and flails to make it look like he was fouled. It's egregious. But yeah, that should have been reviewed and called, Hawkins deserved at least one technical for his constant jawing with the officials, and the Jones call will live in infamy.

Goode himself retweeted a video of that one, implying that he didn't do anything wrong and that he was the victim. Edey reaches past Goode, and Goode just grabs Edey's arm and flails to make it look like he was fouled. It's egregious. But yeah, that should have been reviewed and called, Hawkins deserved at least one technical for his constant jawing with the officials, and the Jones call will live in infamy.
Not a goode look.

Reactions: PurdueDave
The refs probably know the rules better than I do (and most on this site) and they reviewed the play in slow motion and thought it warranted a flagrant foul. Unless you think they have some kind of bias, I may not like it, but I'll accept their judgement.
So the refs explained to Painter that Jones needed to jump and he got the foul because he didn’t jump, but why would he jump if Gillis has a clear path to the ball? Is he supposed to jump straight up or is he supposed to fight Gillis for the rebound? I am a little puzzled by the explanation. I have watched players box out without jumping for many years.

So the refs explained to Painter that Jones needed to jump and he got the foul because he didn’t jump, but why would he jump if Gillis has a clear path to the ball? Is he supposed to jump straight up or is he supposed to fight Gillis for the rebound? I am a little puzzled by the explanation. I have watched players box out without jumping for many years.
BS explanation. I’ve never heard of coaches teaching kids about boxing out that they have to jump to rebound the ball. If you box out well enough, you shouldn’t have to jump.

They didn't even call it a foul on the floor. Just out of bounds. That's why commentators were thinking they reviewed it to see who the ball went out on. One of the worst calls I've seen in a long time.
Even worse, the out of bounds should of gone to Purdue

In some rebounding drills years ago you liked holding the blockout until the ball shot hits the floor. Not jumping is a horrible explanation. Backing up and undercutting a player is a different story. I missed it at the game and haven’t seen it since. Nobody around me knew what happened.

Even worse, the out of bounds should of gone to Purdue
No kidding. Thankfully Hawkins tried to go hero ball and shuffled his feet….it could have been an even worse result. But yeah, we all thought they were reviewing the out of bounds call. Just why review that but not the Gillis one from earlier when he slammed his head to the ground?

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
In some rebounding drills years ago you liked holding the blockout until the ball shot hits the floor. Not jumping is a horrible explanation. Backing up and undercutting a player is a different story. I missed it at the game and haven’t seen it since. Nobody around me knew what happened.
A few posts up, i posted the replay. if one has played bball, you would know when the ball goes up you start to put your butt into whomever is close/you’re guarding to establishes position. In this case Lance does that, but as Guerrier makes contact with Lance, I assume Lance understands Guerrier is a larger player, Lance puts more force into the box out to try to gain an advantage. However, Guerrier then rises up and thus “pulls the chair” from Lance and lances momentum/gravity makes lances body go backward and “undercuts (not on purpose)” Guerrier. No foul called on the floor, so from a few posts up, it seems all they could call was a flagrant…which at that point, is a huge momentum changer.

Ahhhh this one? The guy who tweeted this (bottom tweet) thought edey should be called for the foul when it was a classic hook and hold:

Reactions: SKYDOG
Looks like he backed up under an airborne player not allowing him to land. Not jumping is a poor explanation IMO. No F1 just foul

But the players were already in contact prior to the jump. If Jones would have just ran over and undercut an in-air player, absolutely. But they were banging, dude jumps, momentum forces Jones to scoot a few steps. There is nothing Jones could have done other than not box out.

But the players were already in contact prior to the jump. If Jones would have just ran over and undercut an in-air player, absolutely. But they were banging, dude jumps, momentum forces Jones to scoot a few steps. There is nothing Jones could have done other than not box out.
The refs I believe thought the block out continued after the guy was airborne, undercutting him...not letting him land in his vertical spot. I can understand the call or not making the call, but I can't understand the F1 and the explanation that he didn't jump. I thought that was poor.

The refs I believe thought the block out continued after the guy was airborne, undercutting him...not letting him land in his vertical spot. I can understand the call or not making the call, but I can't understand the F1 and the explanation that he didn't jump. I thought that was poor.
Yeah how was he supposed to jump with a 6’-8” 230 lb guy using him as a vault?

Yeah. I think what’s tripping us all up is that there was no foul called to begin with and the only way it got reviewed was due to the ball being punched out of bounds. Things always look a bit worse when slowed down and this was no different. Guerrier decided to jump while lance was establishing position and unfortunately, it resulted in Guerrier coming down hard as both were competing as hard as possible.

Would they have reviewed it instantly if Gillis got the ball and gave an outlet pass to Braden? Doubtful, but we will never know. Just odd all around that they look at this b it not Gillis getting his head slammed or the hook and hold by Goode. But all in all, a good win when our 3 best players didn’t have the best offensive night (for them).

Good to see the 3pt shooting was still consistent, FT shooting good, season avg for TOs and others stepped up. TKR was an ABSOLUTE MAD MAN (I tried telling yall he was like this in the summer!!!! 😂 😂 just took him a bit to get going). But for real, hope he can stay at this level the rest of the way (and hit his FTs like he did last night!) and Heide continues to get more mins and maybe even have a few plays drawn up for him. Wish Colvin had got some time last night but not sure where it would have worked. Gillis was huge last night with key 3 ptrs and even Purdue message board legend Morton contributed!

Lets get ready for Nebraska cuz that’s going to be a tough one!

Jones didn't back up. He basically got the old "chair pulled out from under him" when the player jumped resulting in Jones falling backward. The only foul there was over the back contact on the Illinois player. Calling F1 after 5 minutes of replay is either corrupt or total incompetence.

Even if he wasn't when is it a foul when someone is called a foul for NOT jumping?
Strange one for sure. The reason Lance is under the guy is because the guy jumped, which had the effect of pulling the chair out from under Lance. The play where Gillis hit his head appears to be way more deserving of ann F1 (maybe even F2).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
This reminded me of the game in Bloomington when Biggie and Bryant got called for a charge and block on the same play after going to the monitor for 5 minutes. Refs realized it was a critical play and probably screwed something up so they decide to make up some random interpretation of the rules to fit their narrative.

Again, I am a huge advocate that refs should be required to sit for post game pressers and answer questions. They didn’t have to explain that call to anyone really so no sweat off their backs. Do it when it gets written down and shared all over the country, probably think about things differently.

This reminded me of the game in Bloomington when Biggie and Bryant got called for a charge and block on the same play after going to the monitor for 5 minutes. Refs realized it was a critical play and probably screwed something up so they decide to make up some random interpretation of the rules to fit their narrative.

Again, I am a huge advocate that refs should be required to sit for post game pressers and answer questions. They didn’t have to explain that call to anyone really so no sweat off their backs. Do it when it gets written down and shared all over the country, probably think about things differently.

Yep - the same conference that brought you the infamous Blarge.

Szelc and Lamont Simpson with the brilliance in Bloomington.

Yep - the same conference that brought you the infamous Blarge.

Szelc and Lamont Simpson with the brilliance in Bloomington.

Only guy dumber than those 2 bozos is Newman and his ruling on the bicycle ownership.

Only guy dumber than those 2 bozos is Newman and his ruling on the bicycle ownership.

Haha..... "Tell it to the judge honey; I'm goin for a ride....."

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT