ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle, thank you

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
For being the voice of reason on the podcast. Top Brohm transfers are McCollum and Okonye, 1 and 1a. Holt wouldn’t have even had a starting spot on that 2017 squad.

For being the voice of reason on the podcast. Top Brohm transfers are McCollum and Okonye, 1 and 1a. Holt wouldn’t have even had a starting spot on that 2017 squad.

Tackles as a stat are misleading, in my opinion. Or at least they can be. So yeah, I'd put McCollum and Okonye 1 and 2, then probably Steinmetz third.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Tackles as a stat are misleading, in my opinion. Or at least they can be. So yeah, I'd put McCollum and Okonye 1 and 2, then probably Steinmetz third.
Dqwell Jackson fallacy. - "He has a lot of tackles, he must be good."

Lets ignore the fact that the tackles are 5 yards down field and you get dragged

Yeah, I never understood Holt being listed as #1. His stats were so deceiving. He would get credit for a tackle after the guy pulled him for 10 extra yards. He was assisted so many times to get his guys down. He padded his stats at the end of the games when the game was already over against the second or third team. However, the tackles that would have stopped a key drive, well, he got juked out of his shoes while the RB runs for a 60 yard TD.

Looking forward to a new middle LB this year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I never understood Holt being listed as #1. His stats were so deceiving. He would get credit for a tackle after the guy pulled him for 10 extra yards. He was assisted so many times to get his guys down. He padded his stats at the end of the games when the game was already over against the second or third team. However, the tackles that would have stopped a key drive, well, he got juked out of his shoes while the RB runs for a 60 yard TD.

Looking forward to a new middle LB this year.
Would you be this harsh on him if he wasn’t the coaches son?

I am making that comment, because G&B had him listed as the #1 graduate transfer, a few days ago in an article, under the Brohm era to date. I guess it was pointed out in a podcast that Kyle felt differently. I was just saying I agree with that assessment.
Yeah this wasn’t about out of the blue dumping on Holt. This was a front page article and revisited on the free podcast. I think the guys who were instrumental on that 2017 defense were undersold by Tom. Probably in part because of the numbers and win total. We really should have won 8 or 9 games with that defense. Gave up 17 and 14 to Wisconsin and Rutgers and somehow lost both.

Yeah this wasn’t about out of the blue dumping on Holt. This was a front page article and revisited on the free podcast. I think the guys who were instrumental on that 2017 defense were undersold by Tom. Probably in part because of the numbers and win total. We really should have won 8 or 9 games with that defense. Gave up 17 and 14 to Wisconsin and Rutgers and somehow lost both.
I understand that. I do think that the 2017 defense was undersold. I completely agree with that.

Coach Holt did a good job with that 2017 defense. His other defenses just did not have the middle strength of that team. Of course, Bailey and Neal's injuries did affect that last year. I think the year before was too much youth. I am hoping that Neal will be 100% this year, and we can find out LBs in this new defensive scheme.

It just seems that this kid gave his all and he gets criticized a lot more than many others that don’t always appear to give their all. Was he played and there was a better player on the bench that didn’t get that chance?

I'm not disputing he gave his all. He was just not a B1G caliber MLB. Nothing personal to him, he just wasn't as good as he's been given credit based on his tackle rate.

Reactions: DAG10

Completely agree with this. Why Holt is being credited as the #1 transfer, I have no idea.

It just seems that this kid gave his all and he gets criticized a lot more than many others that don’t always appear to give their all. Was he played and there was a better player on the bench that didn’t get that chance?

Was the same deal for the LB with red hair under Hope, (why am I blanking on his name??, was it Joe something?), I don't think this is unique to Ben Holt.

Was the same deal for the LB with red hair under Hope, (why am I blanking on his name??, was it Joe something?), I don't think this is unique to Ben Holt.

Joe Holland wasn't undersized as a LB. But he was terrible in slant coverage and TE coverage, which is why he got criticized quite a bit.

Joe Holland wasn't undersized as a LB. But he was terrible in slant coverage and TE coverage, which is why he got criticized quite a bit.

Right, I often thought the coaches didn't set him up for success in pass coverage. referencing him, I meant more that he piled up the tackle stats yet was a whipping boy amongst the fanbase.

I don't think he was terrible.

I think the scheme hung him out to dry.

Dqwell Jackson fallacy. - "He has a lot of tackles, he must be good."

Lets ignore the fact that the tackles are 5 yards down field and you get dragged
What if a guy gets his shoe stuck in your face mask and trips and falls?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT