ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Finishing Games

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
I like Brohm. He's moving things in the right direction. But the one thing he can't seem to do is admit that maybe his coaching/play calls was the cause of not finishing that game. I don't think he can sit there and blame the running game or blame the defense for pass interference. You just failed to call running plays when you should have called running plays. It's just that simple. Don't blame the team. Look inward and fix it.

Even Tom D had it in his article: "Brohm's squad didn't even make a strong effort to run, calling one rush over the two aforementioned drives (4-yard gain by King Doerue.) So, 12 plays, 11 passes, one run ... and a loss."

Brohm's quotes:
"Well, I feel comfortable definitely with the short-passing game," said Brohm. "You know, at the time, they were committed to loading the box and pressing us across the board, so it's hard to get a whole lot of quick-passing game in when they were doing that because we tried that and they were draped on us; whether it was pass interference or not, we didn't get any calls."

"I think for the first three quarters, we had some balance and we were able to pop some runs in there," said Brohm. "The fourth quarter, we had a drive before we got the ball at six minutes left where we called two runs and it was third and six. And then we didn't complete the pass and that was a stop."

I like Brohm. He's moving things in the right direction. But the one thing he can't seem to do is admit that maybe his coaching/play calls was the cause of not finishing that game. I don't think he can sit there and blame the running game or blame the defense for pass interference. You just failed to call running plays when you should have called running plays. It's just that simple. Don't blame the team. Look inward and fix it.

Even Tom D had it in his article: "Brohm's squad didn't even make a strong effort to run, calling one rush over the two aforementioned drives (4-yard gain by King Doerue.) So, 12 plays, 11 passes, one run ... and a loss."

Brohm's quotes:
"Well, I feel comfortable definitely with the short-passing game," said Brohm. "You know, at the time, they were committed to loading the box and pressing us across the board, so it's hard to get a whole lot of quick-passing game in when they were doing that because we tried that and they were draped on us; whether it was pass interference or not, we didn't get any calls."

"I think for the first three quarters, we had some balance and we were able to pop some runs in there," said Brohm. "The fourth quarter, we had a drive before we got the ball at six minutes left where we called two runs and it was third and six. And then we didn't complete the pass and that was a stop."

That this is still #1 on the list is pretty crazy.

The team needs to learn certainly, but, so does Brohm.

He is generally pretty good for the most part about falling on the sword, but, as a staff, they did not do the team any favors on Thursday night late in the game.

Reactions: pboiler18
That this is still #1 on the list is pretty crazy.

The team needs to learn certainly, but, so does Brohm.

He is generally pretty good for the most part about falling on the sword, but, as a staff, they did not do the team any favors on Thursday night late in the game.
well if the WR's are getting pressed , and if you have to pass how about an out and up w/ a pump fake or a wheel route. Still think the loss of Miller was big for a game like thursday.

well if the WR's are getting pressed , and if you have to pass how about an out and up w/ a pump fake or a wheel route. Still think the loss of Miller was big for a game like thursday.
100% agree and had said going in that Miller was really going to be missed...and, he was.

The plan was not near perfect, nor was the execution in the end...on either side of the ball unfortunately.

I hate when teams let the opponent dictate what they will do.

If, at this point, Purdue still lacks the personnel and play-calling to be able to line up and get a first down late in a game when they must in order to put it away, that is a pretty significant concern...I mean, think about the reverse when Purdue has lost to the likes of Wisconsin repeatedly or Minnesota...everybody in the entire stadium knows that they are going to run...Purdue could put 11 guys in the box for that matter...and, they not only will still do it, but, they will do it more often with success than not...and, regardless, they are going to try to do it because it is what they do and what is the right thing to do in that situation as well.

Reactions: purduepat1969
100% agree and had said going in that Miller was really going to be missed...and, he was.

The plan was not near perfect, nor was the execution in the end...on either side of the ball unfortunately.

I hate when teams let the opponent dictate what they will do.

If, at this point, Purdue still lacks the personnel and play-calling to be able to line up and get a first down late in a game when they must in order to put it away, that is a pretty significant concern...I mean, think about the reverse when Purdue has lost to the likes of Wisconsin repeatedly or Minnesota...everybody in the entire stadium knows that they are going to run...Purdue could put 11 guys in the box for that matter...and, they not only will still do it, but, they will do it more often with success than not...and, regardless, they are going to try to do it because it is what they do and what is the right thing to do in that situation as well.
I still have nightmares about Johnny Langan QB draws

I still have nightmares about Johnny Langan QB draws
You and me both...somewhere, moron Diaco should as well.

No greater example though for the point that I was trying to make...literally in that it was Rutgers making absolutely zero effort to do anything but line up and run the football...play after play...right at and over Purdue...regardless of how many guys were in the box.

If they could do it, I can't for the life of me understand Purdue's inability to even approach it, much less attempt it at this point...never mind try to offer excuses.

ADVERTISEMENT