ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to CMP

I hear you, but there's nothing wrong with kudos now.

Yes, we all want to win. But, we want to win the RIGHT way. That's CMP right now.
Bingo. Wish I I could 'like' this post several thousand more times. Kudos to CMP are very much warranted right now outside of those with an agenda. Getting to a F4 or NT would simply be cause for jubilation.

CMP has done a masterful job at coaching this season and has shut the forum 'experts' up proving how little they truly know. After all it wasn't long ago those same experts were railing all over this current roster of seniors and now they all have mountains of egg on their face.

Bingo. Wish I I could 'like' this post several thousand more times. Kudos to CMP are very much warranted right now outside of those with an agenda. Getting to a F4 or NT would simply be cause for jubilation.

CMP has done a masterful job at coaching this season and has shut the forum 'experts' up proving how little they truly know.
I try hard to not denigrate anyone's feelings, but if I skip to thought instead, I find great difficulty in understanding the hype of a tourney as the largest and for some it appears the only measure for this and other teams. Perhaps an understanding of hypothetical testing for claims leads a difference of opinion into the many potential variables in the model and the various interactions that exist. Whatever it is, I obviously want tourney success, but don't place it any higher than the reality of the situation which is far from random experimentation that exists.

I too enjoy all this team has offered. I hope they win the BIG and reach their goals in the tourney, but they will be a special team if they get beat early (although I don't think it will happen). IU had a special team years ago and got beat by Cuse...in what was a matchup problem as much as anything. IU was probably the best team in the country that year. Purdue has Matt and IU had Crean and that in itself has diminished the early flame out in teh tourney

I try hard to not denigrate anyone's feelings, but if I skip to thought instead, I find great difficulty in understanding the hype of a tourney as the largest and for some it appears the only measure for this and other teams. Perhaps an understanding of hypothetical testing for claims leads a difference of opinion into the many potential variables in the model and the various interactions that exist. Whatever it is, I obviously want tourney success, but don't place it any higher than the reality of the situation which is far from random experimentation that exists.

I too enjoy all this team has offered. I hope they win the BIG and reach their goals in the tourney, but they will be a special team if they get beat early (although I don't think it will happen). IU had a special team years ago and got beat by Cuse...in what was a matchup problem as much as anything. IU was probably the best team in the country that year. Purdue has Matt and IU had Crean and that in itself has diminished the early flame out in teh tourney
Excellent, excellent post. You are correct and I have been trying to not call these people out as it were but based on past posts from them, railing them got the better of me. I've said what I wanted to say so will try not to call them out further.

Aside from that your post is very insightful as there is a bigger picture than just the tourney success. Yes that is a good portion and more important to some, but there is more to a good basketball program than that. But that doesn't mean that all of us don't want to win it all however.

Fully understand that. I coached the state leading scorer (31.8 before the 3 ball) a few decades ago and understand a player like that is used quite a bit in high school. With that in mind Carsen was still a bit quick on the trigger back then
Those were the days before the 3 ball. I liked the game a whole lot better then. Who was the player you coached at that time?

Those were the days before the 3 ball. I liked the game a whole lot better then. Who was the player you coached at that time?
my nephew..Kory Fernung (A.D. at Tipton) I started him in elementary (5th and 6th) (when his dad was varsity coach) and his senior year where he led the state and then gym time outside of practice a lot of nights. I remember when he was a fifth grader and wanted to sleep in the mornings and just stay home I would drive to his house to pick him up. During his senior year the first thing he would do is cut through the lane to see what the defense was doing...whether man, zone, zone shifting on him or box or diamond and one. I had him able to go full speed as a fifth grader through his legs, cross over dribble, reverse dribble, fake reverse dribble and change of pace "on the whistle"...not when it was comfortable for him and spent a LOT of time with him shooting. Hurt his knee running the hills at Purdue and hasn't played since. It was a lot more physical back then as far as defense and such and he was a skilled player..not an athlete.

He talked to me about getting back into coaching this year, but too much time required for an hour glass that is winding down. If the three ball was in effect they still might be playing.

all the way to the left front row
http://www.markmontieth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Passion-Play-team-photo-001-960x473.jpg

always found it a bit odd, but had three other Coreys at one level or another. Two of hte three were the best or tied with the best player on their team. One lives outside Kokomo, one was a sheriff for Tipton County I believe and the other is the current coach of Rossville whose brother committed suicide when he was in elementary school over a girl...I've known his family for years and played hundreds of nights with his uncle that played on a 63 team that got down to 14th in state that beat Tipton with two or three Indiana all stars that beat Lafayette Jeff and Huntington that played in the state finals in 64. Damn..I'm old

Last edited:
my nephew..Kory Fernung (A.D. at Tipton) I started him in elementary (5th and 6th) (when his dad was varsity coach) and his senior year where he led the state and then gym time outside of practice a lot of nights. I remember when he was a fifth grader and wanted to sleep in the mornings and just stay home I would drive to his house to pick him up. During his senior year the first thing he would do is cut through the lane to see what the defense was doing...whether man, zone, zone shifting on him or box or diamond and one. I had him able to go full speed as a fifth grader through his legs, cross over dribble, reverse dribble, fake reverse dribble and change of pace "on the whistle"...not when it was comfortable for him and spent a LOT of time with him shooting. Hurt his knee running the hills at Purdue and hasn't played since. It was a lot more physical back then as far as defense and such and he was a skilled player..not an athlete.

He talked to me about getting back into coaching this year, but too much time required for an hour glass that is winding down. If the three ball was in effect they still might be playing.

http://www.markmontieth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Passion-Play-team-photo-001-960x473.jpg
Thanks for sharing as I really enjoy the stories from the past.

Tipton ... I have ties to tipton ... and eat here and get gas ... and Gary the McD's owner from long, long ago ... and Ed and Judy

Reactions: tjreese
Thanks for sharing as I really enjoy the stories from the past.
Well, there wer stories about Arnold and such. Having worked with Kory so long I could see him shoot the ball and immediately know what was going on. I snuck into Mackey when he was trying to keep it quiet about his knee before surgery (he was invited walkon) and could immediately tell something was wrong in watching him shoot during practice and then later learned that he hurt himself. His roommate was Jimmy Oliver and one of his better friends was Ryan Berning back then. I knew how well Arnold was playing before he and Brugos were kicked off

Reactions: SKYDOG
All good things eventually pass .... as have most that i know of, other than the Story Inn and Bonge's ... and Bruno's .... and Harry's .... and TC's
but the memories remain...and that helps

always found it a bit odd, but had three other Coreys at one level or another. Two of hte three were the best or tied with the best player on their team. One lives outside Kokomo, one was a sheriff for Tipton County I believe and the other is the current coach of Rossville whose brother committed suicide when he was in elementary school over a girl...I've known his family for years and played hundreds of nights with his uncle that played on a 63 team that got down to 14th in state that beat Tipton with two or three Indiana all stars that beat Lafayette Jeff and Huntington that played in the state finals in 64. Damn..I'm old

Re your link . . . My goodness, that team was loaded. Very, very deep.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT