ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to CMP

BoiledSteel

Sophomore
Aug 5, 2016
For as much grief as he has taken by some on here I thought it was time for a CMP appreciation thread. He has done a masterful job at not only developing players, but keeping their head in the game as the hype around this team is easy to get to ones head I imagine.

CMP has gotten the talent the team needed and it is playing the best Purdue basketball I have ever seen. And when you listen to him when he is in the huddle and the have the mic on, you can clearly hear just how much he understands the game. Like last night when he was telling the team to move or something, then on the very next play, they did it and PJ had a nice lay in.

I'm very excited for this team and what it can do and for the future as CMP is bringing in his type of players that will excel in his system.

Well done coach, here is hoping that everything pays off with a nice deep run in the tourney and our first #1 ranking after we beat Iowa saturday!

In addition to his knowledge of the game, Matt Painter has consistently recruited quality individuals who take the responsibilities and obligations of being student-athletes seriously, and represent the university extraordinarily well.
Just listening to Carsen after the game supports all of this AND something that I appreciate. Recruiting winners in life and basketball can get you through tough times due to their character...

I posted after just after our two losses in November....

"It will take some flat out tremendous great coaching by CMP to overcome this team's deficiencies to make Purdue B10 champs again. If he does that, he should be B10 coach of the year after winning it again while losing the All American CS."

Well, I give the man credit -- he has done a whale of a fantastic job getting this team from where it was in November to where it is now as one of the nations top 3 offenses and defenses.

Now he hasn't won the 2018 B10 championship yet....but I like Purdue's odds.....and no doubt the turnaround CMP has accomplished with this team has been remarkable.

I love the way CMP is handling Carsen. CE is the best all around guard this program has seen in a really long time, and Painter seems to now be giving him the freedom to do what he does best which is to be an aggressive scorer who looks for his shot and has no fear.

However, one complaint I do have with CMP is the final possession of the half. This is a good time to work on situational basketball, like an end of game situation where you need to get a good shot or draw a foul. It just seems to me that Painter hasn't taken advantage of these scenarios, called a TO and set up a play to see what works with the time running out.

Reactions: spradecki
However, one complaint I do have with CMP is the final possession of the half. This is a good time to work on situational basketball, like an end of game situation where you need to get a good shot or draw a foul. It just seems to me that Painter hasn't taken advantage of these scenarios, called a TO and set up a play to see what works with the time running out.
To what gain though? That is something they probably do in practice and for the most part is done against better players.

I get what you are saying, I just don't see the gain.

I love the way CMP is handling Carsen. CE is the best all around guard this program has seen in a really long time, and Painter seems to now be giving him the freedom to do what he does best which is to be an aggressive scorer who looks for his shot and has no fear.

purdue seldom, maybe never scores when they play for the last shot in a half. it's been that way for a long time. maybe a time out would help. ;-)

Just win big will silence most of the critics, and I think this is the year! You don't need to be Louisville, UNC, Duke in order to get far in tourney, which means you don't need to trade off integrity or character to get to final 4.

Reactions: tjreese
To what gain though? That is something they probably do in practice and for the most part is done against better players.

I get what you are saying, I just don't see the gain.
Practice is practice and you can't get better than live game situations against an opponent that really wants to stop you.
The gain is that the pressure is different during a game than in practice. You want to see how guys react and if what you've drawn up actually works.

purdue seldom, maybe never scores when they play for the last shot in a half. it's been that way for a long time. maybe a time out would help. ;-)

Not only a TO, but also putting the ball in CE's hands every time. Even last night, I think our possession at the end of the half (can't remember if it was CE or Cline) was a desperation 3. Bad possession.

Not only a TO, but also putting the ball in CE's hands every time. Even last night, I think our possession at the end of the half (can't remember if it was CE or Cline) was a desperation 3. Bad possession.

last night the mighty boilers may have scored with 7-8 seconds left in the half after looking like they were playing for the final shot. i told my wife that i bet they don't score. they scored but wiscy had 6+ seconds i believe, shot early or lost possession giving the boilers the desperation heave at the end as i remember.

end of half situations has been my complaint to for a while too

edit: gotta find something to complain about TIC

I didnt realize or had forgotten until dakich commented on j.Owens pushing painter to get CE in recruiting.

I selfishly hope the staff can have some more continuity in the next few years (even though its great for them to move up/advance themselves). bobinksi and any extra $ should help in retention too

I didnt realize or had forgotten until dakich commented on j.Owens pushing painter to get CE in recruiting.

I selfishly hope the staff can have some more continuity in the next few years (even though its great for them to move up/advance themselves). bobinksi and any extra $ should help in retention too
Insight into recruiting of CE was very interesting. Glad Owens prevailed!

If you're a score-first guard similar to CE, how the hell would you not want to play in Painter's system now? I've been critical of MP for how he's handled/developed his PGs over time but with CE, he's showing that if you've got the skill, and you take good shots, then you have the green light.
Want to shoot pull up 3's on the break? Fine
Want to dribble penetrate and finish at the rim? Fine
Want to create your own shot and take a step back 3 early in the shot clock? Fine.

If you're a score-first guard similar to CE, how the hell would you not want to play in Painter's system now? I've been critical of MP for how he's handled/developed his PGs over time but with CE, he's showing that if you've got the skill, and you take good shots, then you have the green light.
Want to create your own shot and take a step back 3 early in the shot clock? Fine.
To be fair I think that has always been the case with Painter in regards to PGs. I think it just took a player like CE to prove it.

I'd mention sauce here... But that will just get me trouble :)

Insight into recruiting of CE was very interesting. Glad Owens prevailed!
where is the insight located? All I can recall is that offers were out to Carsen and Xavier Simpson and maybe another that "might" have got hurt towards the last and Carsen jumped at Purdue just prior to another player's visit before someone else got the scholly. If you have a link that tells the whole story I would be very interested in reading it

I really like the balance that Painter has found with Carsen where he gets a lot of freedom, but still plays within the offense.

Carsen is that guard who can break down the D that you often see on teams who make deep runs in the NCAA. Purdue really hasn’t had anyone like him since E’twaun.

I really like the balance that Painter has found with Carsen where he gets a lot of freedom, but still plays within the offense.

Carsen is that guard who can break down the D that you often see on teams who make deep runs in the NCAA. Purdue really hasn’t had anyone like him since E’twaun.
Give credit to Matt for pulling Carsen last year when he abused his freedom with poor shots. Give Carsen credit for learning from that and adjusting into a great player

where is the insight located? All I can recall is that offers were out to Carsen and Xavier Simpson and maybe another that "might" have got hurt towards the last and Carsen jumped at Purdue just prior to another player's visit before someone else got the scholly. If you have a link that tells the whole story I would be very interested in reading it

Apparently, either Owens or CMP told Dan Dakich that CMP had to be talked into taking CE. CMP had some concerns on coachability. So DD was just telling that story on the air the other night.

Glad it worked out.

Apparently, either Owens or CMP told Dan Dakich that CMP had to be talked into taking CE. CMP had some concerns on coachability. So DD was just telling that story on the air the other night.

Glad it worked out.
Makes you think that CMP might be extra hesitant on players that have the stigma of being un-coachable. Based on past experience, I can hardly blame him if so. But glad this instance worked out for sure.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Glad it worked out.
thanks...I haven't had a chance to see it on TV. I think video of him playing in high school would make that a LEGIT concern. However, I caught an interview while in high school and it was a yes sir, no sir, yes ma'mm, No Ma'mm interview where he seemed respectful and straightforward. I could see how Matt was concerned before talking to him ..."IF" that was what happened.

When you went through what Matt did to build a team...to rebuild a culture it only made sense to be cautious. Fast forward to today and we have an aggressive player that plays sooooooooo much better than last year adn last year was a big plus to the team

CE plays the most important position on the floor, especially when it comes to the tourney.
I actually think CE is a better all-around player than E'Twaun. Don't get me wrong, EM is NBA caliber and proving it, but I think CE is a combo of Moore, LewJack, Willie Deane and maybe a touch of Carson Cunningham. He literally can do it all: Shoot, drive, finish.
Painter now 'trusts' CE to make the right decisions and thus, gives him the freedom to do what he does best.

thanks...I haven't had a chance to see it on TV. I think video of him playing in high school would make that a LEGIT concern. However, I caught an interview while in high school and it was a yes sir, no sir, yes ma'mm, No Ma'mm interview where he seemed respectful and straightforward. I could see how Matt was concerned before talking to him ..."IF" that was what happened.

When you went through what Matt did to build a team...to rebuild a culture it only made sense to be cautious. Fast forward to today and we have an aggressive player that plays sooooooooo much better than last year adn last year was a big plus to the team

But, in these guy's defense, when you're a high major recruit and likely the best player on the floor 95% of the time in high school, you're going to be handling the ball, taking the shots, etc the vast majority of the time. To some, it might look like undisciplined ball hogging, but in reality, it's what these guys have to do because they are so much better than everyone else.

In addition to his knowledge of the game, Matt Painter has consistently recruited quality individuals who take the responsibilities and obligations of being student-athletes seriously, and represent the university extraordinarily well.

Here's the thing - it doesn't take this season or any one specific season to appreciate a coach. There's lots of coaches that had one great year. The consistency of quality basketball Painter has helped continue within this program is one that is special.

We're flat out spoiled with consistently winning - and it pre-dates Painter. In the last 35 years, Purdue has gone to the tournament 26 times. Is everything perfect? Absolutely not, there are certainly things we'd love to have. But it's not like Purdue's just above .500 and kind of winning. There's a lot of winning. We're just spoiled.

But, in these guy's defense, when you're a high major recruit and likely the best player on the floor 95% of the time in high school, you're going to be handling the ball, taking the shots, etc the vast majority of the time. To some, it might look like undisciplined ball hogging, but in reality, it's what these guys have to do because they are so much better than everyone else.
Fully understand that. I coached the state leading scorer (31.8 before the 3 ball) a few decades ago and understand a player like that is used quite a bit in high school. With that in mind Carsen was still a bit quick on the trigger back then

That’s a fair point, but he was also hurting the team last season to the point that Ryan Cline took his place in the starting line-up. I give Carsen a ton of credit for adjusting to Coach Painter’s expectations without losing the confidence that makes him great and I give Painter a ton of credit for not reigning him too much, even when he was hurting the team with his decision-making.

Reactions: klmLB
That isn't what being un-coachable is referencing. Some were worried about attitude and his personality clashing with the program's and CMP's want to build a different culture. Obviously CE has grown and has shown an ability to be highly coachable and maintain that fiery attitude that makes him unique. I think a lot of it has to do with both CMP and CE trusting one another and having a very good coach-player relationship to understand how the other operates. I've seen that this season with CE being a bit fiery with CMP and coach giving him the ability to air his grievances and going back to coach him up after.

What one person sees as uncoachable attitude could be seen as an individual so confident in their skill set that when they under-perform to their expectations, they become frustrated.

Coach may have had to be convinced that Carsen was the real deal, but I remember him say at some point last year (he for sure said it but I don't know where) that CE had a really good chance to be a 2,000 point scorer at Purdue.

Coach may have had to be convinced that Carsen was the real deal, but I remember him say at some point last year (he for sure said it but I don't know where) that CE had a really good chance to be a 2,000 point scorer at Purdue.
yes, he did

For as much grief as he has taken by some on here I thought it was time for a CMP appreciation thread. He has done a masterful job at not only developing players, but keeping their head in the game as the hype around this team is easy to get to ones head I imagine.

CMP has gotten the talent the team needed and it is playing the best Purdue basketball I have ever seen. And when you listen to him when he is in the huddle and the have the mic on, you can clearly hear just how much he understands the game. Like last night when he was telling the team to move or something, then on the very next play, they did it and PJ had a nice lay in.

I'm very excited for this team and what it can do and for the future as CMP is bringing in his type of players that will excel in his system.

Well done coach, here is hoping that everything pays off with a nice deep run in the tourney and our first #1 ranking after we beat Iowa saturday!
I like where we are, but kudos come in March/April, not January.

I like where we are, but kudos come in March/April, not January.
Agreed. Great regular seasons are easily forgotten if you have an early tourney flame out.
However, this team is being talked about similarly to the Baby Boilers team which I believe got at high at No 3, prior to Hummel's knee.

Reactions: *4purdue*
I'm not going to be satisfied until I see a National Championship or at least a Final 4 banner hanging proudly in Mackey Arena.

Reactions: *4purdue*
ADVERTISEMENT