ADVERTISEMENT

Kickin' lineups around for fun

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
So, making a few assumptions .... only basing this on grade-level, not skillset:

2020-2021
Position - Sr - Jr - Soph - Frosh
PG - N/A - N/A - Thompson - Morton
SG - N/A - Hunter/Sasha - Newman - Ivey
SF - N/A - Wheeler - Gillis - N/A
PF - N/A - Tre - N/A - N/A
C - N/A - Dow - N/A - N/A

Upper-classmen:
Hunter - Sasha - Wheeler - Tre - Dow

Under classmen:
Thompson/Morton - Newman/Ivey - Gillis - N/A - N/A

Probably starters:
Morton/Thompson/Hunter -
Sasha/Newman/Ivey/Hunter -
Wheeler/Gillis
Tre (Carlson)
Dow (Dickinson)

Pretty clear to me that we are heading toward a team full of TALL!!!, athletic, multi-position players with a stretch four!!! (Wheeler). And, with this listing, it SURE seems as if we need a strong stretch four .... FURST????

Last edited:
So, making a few assumptions .... only basing this on grade-level, not skillset:

2020-2021
PG - N/A - N/A - Thompson - Mason

Upper-classmen:

Under classmen:
Thompson/Mason - Newman/Ivey - Gillis - N/A - N/A

Probably starters:
Mason/Thompson/Hunter -
Wheeler/Gillis
Tre
Dow (Dickinson)

Pretty clear to me that we are heading toward a team full of TALL!!!, athletic, multi-position players with a stretch four!!! (Wheeler). And, with this listing, it SURE seems as if we need a strong stretch four .... FURST????
Mason?

I’m assuming he meant Morton.

Furst would be huge. Dickinson too.
The more I see Dickinson play the less I like him. He’s obviously going to want to play right away and unlesss Haarms leaves early he won’t start over Haarms as a Freshman. I’d rather have a guy like Carlson or Loveday to finish the class out. But we definitely need to bring in a stretch 4/5 to finish the class it since we didn’t recruit a “big guy” in this 19 class

Reactions: Roeder
The more I see Dickinson play the less I like him. He’s obviously going to want to play right away and unlesss Haarms leaves early he won’t start over Haarms as a Freshman. I’d rather have a guy like Carlson or Loveday to finish the class out. But we definitely need to bring in a stretch 4/5 to finish the class it since we didn’t recruit a “big guy” in this 19 class
I am tending to agree!!! Carlson is a great fit.

Reactions: atmafola and tflee
I keep wondering about Dow's brother as a fit ... will we ever go with a 6' 9" C? well, with gurards at Nojel's height and rebounding ... who knows.

I keep wondering about Dow's brother as a fit ...
That’s intriguing as well. Most likely Painter won’t get the top 3 guys he wants so we are gonna start to see him offer other guys, i.e Wheeler and Williams. Only having 3 spots to offer is extremely tough. Morton would be huge because he’s give us that big ball handler that we don’t really have. Thompson/Gillis do worry me a bit but I’ve learned to trust Painter.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
That’s intriguing as well. Most likely Painter won’t get the top 3 guys he wants so we are gonna start to see him offer other guys, i.e Wheeler and Williams. Only having 3 spots to offer is extremely tough. Morton would be huge because he’s give us that big ball handler that we don’t really have. Thompson/Gillis do worry me a bit but I’ve learned to trust Painter.
It's been a long time since we've had the opp to recruit over existing guys .... it's a great place to be ... There are emotional aspects to recruiting. We "had" to take IT ... and it's fine. Gettin Gillis from NC is a huge break in the NC to IU pipe .,... an area of the state we needed to break into

Several years ago, we had to take Alan Eldridge. His Dad (AC) was the King of Fort Wayne basketball .. not a bad recruit, but if we hadn't we'd have lost that pipeline!

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
It's been a long time since we've had the opp to recruit over existing guys .... it's a great place to be ... There are emotional aspects to recruiting. We "had" to take IT ... and it's fine.

Several years ago, we had to take Alan Eldridge. His Dad (AC) was the King of Fort Wayne basketball .. not a bad recruit, but if we hadn't we'd have lost that pipeline!
True, IT absolutely has to get stronger and Gillis has to get a shot on him becuase he’s not gonna be able to play the “big guy” at 6’6 that he did in high school, even though he has a college ready body the ACL tear scares me as well.

I see the possibility of CMP steering his new GA to have a heart to heart talk with his younger brother some time after next season.

Reactions: Boilersharky
I see IT’s value in other ways. First, with more strength, he could be a player like Carson. His brother often took opponents off the dribble with a quick first step, and finishing through contact. No reason little brother can’t do that too. He is supposed to be quicker and a bit taller. He is supposed to be a pretty good shooter too.

Second, IT is very gregarious. He will be a big help with recruiting. Other players like playing with him. Just maybe some recruiting success is generated by the personalities of the players already on the team. Friendships mean a lot at that age. (Once you get older, like me, you could give a shit about who likes you.)

:cool:

2020-2021

Upper-classmen:

Under classmen:

Probably starters:
Morton/Thompson/Hunter -
Wheeler/Gillis
Tre (Carlson)
Dow (Dickinson)

I think you'd be better served with this idea:

G:
G:
G:
F:
C:

Trying to pigeon hole the guys on the roster to a PG/SG/SF role is going to be incredibly difficult. I think CMP is placing a premium on the 1-3 players to be able to handle the ball and score in multiple ways. Hunter and Thompson are much more combo guards rather than true point guards while Morton is a much more a point forward and would classify more as a Nojel type of player.

Reactions: Roeder and Schnelk

G:
G:
G:
F:
C:

Trying to pigeon hole the guys on the roster to a PG/SG/SF role is going to be incredibly difficult. I think CMP is placing a premium on the 1-3 players to be able to handle the ball and score in multiple ways. Hunter and Thompson are much more combo guards rather than true point guards while Morton is a much more a point forward and would classify more as a Nojel type of player.
I think you are on to something here. I remember when Robbie would bring the ball up it would really screw with the opposing team's defense because someone of his size/position typically wasn't a ball handler in college IMO.

Reactions: Schnelk

G:
G:
G:
F:
C:

I agree and was not trying to pigeonhole a player as it is obvious it doesn't matter much in the offense and we are getting to taller guys with great ball-handling. I was working my way toward who of all the great players we are still recruiting would fill the biggest hole. It's my way of processing toward a conclusion. But, I do agree with your thoughts!!

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I agree and was not trying to pigeonhole a player as it is obvious it doesn't matter much in the offense and we are getting to taller guys with great ball-handling. I was working my way toward who of all the great players we are still recruiting would fill the biggest hole. It's my way of processing toward a conclusion. But, I do agree with your thoughts!!
As much as Dickinson is likely a very good player who is capable of just being a force inside and having a similar role to what Haas did...I think I'd rather a player like a Caleb Furst and pair him with another 6'8ish-6'10ish mobile interior guy with the way the game is trending. However...it should be said that it was so incredibly nice to have a guy you could rely on to dump it in to when the shooting goes cold and just let them go to work and shoot greater than 60% from the inside.

What made those teams with Haas so difficult to beat was that there was never really any chance for a scoring drought...either Purdue was hitting their outside shots or they were dumping it to Haas to get buckets/fouls. Multi-dimensional from a very traditional sense.

As much as Dickinson is likely a very good player who is capable of just being a force inside and having a similar role to what Haas did...I think I'd rather a player like a Caleb Furst and pair him with another 6'8ish-6'10ish mobile interior guy with the way the game is trending. However...it should be said that it was so incredibly nice to have a guy you could rely on to dump it in to when the shooting goes cold and just let them go to work and shoot greater than 60% from the inside.

What made those teams with Haas so difficult to beat was that there was never really any chance for a scoring drought...either Purdue was hitting their outside shots or they were dumping it to Haas to get buckets/fouls. Multi-dimensional from a very traditional sense.
I think standing jump height is what I want to see, along with decent beef to start with for the trainer to drool over. 7' 2" with a jump height of 11' 1" vs 6' 10" with a jump of 12' 7".... I wonder what De'Andre Hunter's jump is.

I assume Painter saw Dow as the big guy in this class. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the floor. Looking at it that way, there's a center, PG, wing, and forward coming in.

I assume Painter saw Dow as the big guy in this class. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the floor. Looking at it that way, there's a center, PG, wing, and forward coming in.
Whether you look at Dow as this class or last class that’s still a class without a relative big man, so we need a 4/5 in the 2020 class either way. IMO

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB

He would play right away, that doesn’t mean he starts. There are worse things than playing 15 to 18 minutes a game while getting to practice against a 7’2” senior every day.

He’s obviously a highly rated guy, he could go to schools where he’s a guaranteed to start fromday one, but MP can show a history with Haas and Haarms of the benefit of that year as an apprentice.

If he buys into that it’s a win / win. If he doesn’t he won’t come here as we know that MP will give him the straight story.

2020-2021

Upper-classmen:

Under classmen:

Probably starters:
Morton/Thompson/Hunter -
Wheeler/Gillis
Tre (Carlson)
Dow (Dickinson)

I don’t see anyone leaving early for the NBA unless Nojel or Matty H seriously blow up, in which case 2019 / 2020 could be a great season.

I’m only including current players plus Ivey and Morton. It will be interesting to see how the 2 and 3 spots shake out, a lot of competition there. I don’t see Matt wanting to play Wheeler a lot of minutes at the 3, but if Tre and Matty H keep improving he may have to, especially if Dow comes on or we sign a highly rated 2020 prospect at the 4 or 5.

2020-2021
Position
G - Nojel; Morton / IT
G - tbd; Hunter / Ivey / IT / Newman
G - Newman; Sasha / Wheeler
F - Wheeler; Tre / Gillis / Haarms
C - Haarms; Tre / Dow

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder
I don’t see anyone leaving early for the NBA unless Nojel or Matty H seriously blow up, in which case 2019 / 2020 could be a great season.

I’m only including current players plus Ivey and Morton. It will be interesting to see how the 2 and 3 spots shake out, a lot of competition there. I don’t see Matt wanting to play Wheeler a lot of minutes at the 3, but if Tre and Matty H keep improving he may have to, especially if Dow comes on or we sign a highly rated 2020 prospect at the 4 or 5.

2020-2021
Position
G - Nojel; Morton / IT
C - Haarms; Tre / Dow
A lot can happen in 19/20 season

Reactions: Do Dah Day

2020-2021
Position
G - Nojel; Morton / IT
C - Haarms; Tre / Dow
Forgot Proctor in your analysis. Just a heads up

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT