ADVERTISEMENT

Seniors

mediaexpert

True Freshman
Jan 19, 2007
Plano
I love reading how sophomores, Edey and Ivey, developed and carried the team this year. I can pat myself on the back and brag that I projected a line-up of Edey, Ivey, Gillis, Newman, and Morton. I wanted that because I hoped they would jell and stay together for at least through their Junior years. However, I was wrong in thinking they developed the most.

I don't like to criticize young men in my posts, so I purposely kept Eric Hunter, Jr. out of my discussions, because IMO he should have been benched. However, Eric kept working hard and vastly improved his decision making on offense. I was always impressed with his D. However, he showed a lot of character. I had huge expectations for Newman and I don't think that posters have enough knowledge about how the effects of death can affect a young man. I think Newman will come back blazing next years, but this year I became more impressed with Sasha Stefanovic. He and Morton are the two best at feeding the post. And defensively, he is in the right position. We knew he could shoot but his overall game improved greatly. What I appreciated most about him was when he helped up the Illinois player after he got hurt badly. However, the young man who grew the most was Trevion Williams. When I first saw him, I could see that he had skills, but I thought he was selfish. He played fantastic last year, but after seeing Edey play for Canada, I thought Edey would be better. The only reason I projected and did not predict Edey to be the starter was that Tre could have made it very difficult for him. Instead from everything I saw and heard, Tre had more to do with Edey's development than anyone else. I am confident Tre will make millions in his basketball career and have a lot of joy even if it means going overseas, However, Tre developed as a fine young man and while a basketball career is finite, becoming a person of character lasts a lifetime.

I love reading how sophomores, Edey and Ivey, developed and carried the team this year. I can pat myself on the back and brag that I projected a line-up of Edey, Ivey, Gillis, Newman, and Morton. I wanted that because I hoped they would jell and stay together for at least through their Junior years. However, I was wrong in thinking they developed the most.

I don't like to criticize young men in my posts, so I purposely kept Eric Hunter, Jr. out of my discussions, because IMO he should have been benched. However, Eric kept working hard and vastly improved his decision making on offense. I was always impressed with his D. However, he showed a lot of character. I had huge expectations for Newman and I don't think that posters have enough knowledge about how the effects of death can affect a young man. I think Newman will come back blazing next years, but this year I became more impressed with Sasha Stefanovic. He and Morton are the two best at feeding the post. And defensively, he is in the right position. We knew he could shoot but his overall game improved greatly. What I appreciated most about him was when he helped up the Illinois player after he got hurt badly. However, the young man who grew the most was Trevion Williams. When I first saw him, I could see that he had skills, but I thought he was selfish. He played fantastic last year, but after seeing Edey play for Canada, I thought Edey would be better. The only reason I projected and did not predict Edey to be the starter was that Tre could have made it very difficult for him. Instead from everything I saw and heard, Tre had more to do with Edey's development than anyone else. I am confident Tre will make millions in his basketball career and have a lot of joy even if it means going overseas, However, Tre developed as a fine young man and while a basketball career is finite, becoming a person of character lasts a lifetime.
Ideally, there really are no reasons to have athletic competition in school if the person outside the sport is not grown. Purdue is fortunate to have some coaches that continue to coach outside the lines with various virtues as well as honest constructive criticism needed to grow in ways not chosen by players quite often. Matt has good kids…good people that can be respected for their efforts, sacrifices and mature way of dealing with adversity...because they are still kids with grown bodies and little to no experience outside of school settings

As the year progressed, Hunter has become the most improved player, by far...

He's one of the key reasons why Purdue is playing well right now, and won it's last 2 games. He did a fantastic job handling the pressure from Texas last night. Extremely happy for him...

ADVERTISEMENT