Kanon Catching … how good will he be

Heads up BOILER

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2021

EVALUATED 07/31/2023​

AdamFinkelstein

Adam FinkelsteinDIRECTOR OF SCOUTING

Catchings is a late-blooming, versatile forward who could be just scratching the surface of his long-term upside. He has multi-dimensional tools that include size, athleticism, ball-skills, and potential positional versatility. He’s a fluid mover for his size, who covers the court with long, bouncy strides. He not only plays above the rim athletically, but shows glimpses of quick reactions tied to that leaping ability, even as a weak-side shot-blocker. He has the foundation for a versatile skill set as well. He has good natural touch and is currently a capable three-point shooter with the potential to make that a developing weapon in the years to come (27% 3pt and 80% FT in EYBL play). He puts the ball on the floor comfortably, but is much more effective attacking a defender that is already on the move, rather than trying to create an advantage with his first step. Catchings is a combo-forward of sorts, who may be more four than three at this point, but has the potential to evolve into a true big wing. Physically, he’s still lean and often unable to play through contact, and yet still in the very earliest stages of filling out his frame. In addition to getting stronger, he also must be more consistent with his overall approach and impact on the game, but long-term, there aren’t many prospects in the national class of 2024 than have more still untapped potential.

Video highlights

What I see is that Purdue will have a different look in a couple years than they have now with more athleticism and mobility.

Purdue hasn’t had many, if any, players like Catchings in the Painter era. Hummel and Vince Edwards were great, but Catchings brings a different kind of athleticism.

What I see is that Purdue will have a different look in a couple years than they have now with more athleticism and mobility.

Purdue hasn’t had many, if any, players like Catchings in the Painter era. Hummel and Vince Edwards were great, but Catchings brings a different kind of athleticism.
Yes, with the addition of more skilled AND athletic players the evolution will be noticeable. The success day in and out of the program has taken root and starting to bear fruit. That consistent success was aided strongly by taking some players at the 5 that others did not want and making them a focal point of the team's success. The future teams will play different due to different talent and not that Matt finally learned anything, but rather getting more of what he desired...but again that only happens through viewed success of the program in spite of the viewed failures of some.

It doesn't seem that recruiting was hurt at all by the FDU game as some were worried. Nor will opinions of Matt being stubborn stop. I'm bullish rather than bearish on Matt's program.

I watched 2 of Kanon's games this weekend. He is stronger and more focused on rebounding. Make no mistake about it Overtime Elite is a professional league and nearly every player is capable of making the NBA. The announcers loved Kanon. He was the leading scorer in both games. I think he scored 27 in a win and 22 in a loss. He never shows any emotions. Which seemed to drive the announcers crazy. The minimum salary is 100k with some of them making over a million. My guess and it is only a guess Kanon is much closer to the top than the bottom. This kid isn't about being flashy as most of the players are he is all business all the time. He plays the 3 to start but moves to the 4 with different rotations. He also guards who ever brings the ball up. Vince Edwards is as close to Kanon as I can recall. The league is different than anything I have seen they play three 8-minute quarters and a 12-minute 4th quarter. They also have a rule where you have to play 4 on 5 to make the games closer. The coaches are live during the game and at the half. Both sets of announcers deemed Kanon a NBA lock. He had 3 blocks in the loss and another in the win. IMO he will start and star for Purdue from the first exhibition game at the 4. He just doesn't have a flaw to his game on either side of the ball. Every kid out there is a star in waiting every one of them is either Power 5 or NBA ready. The 24 second shot clock really changes the pace of the game which suits Kanon to a tee. I never imagined I would say this, but I think this league is a good thing for the one and done players. I know it will benefit Kanon and Purdue. I expect Kanon will arrive on campus NBA ready if he isn't already there.

I watched 2 of Kanon's games this weekend. He is stronger and more focused on rebounding. Make no mistake about it Overtime Elite is a professional league and nearly every player is capable of making the NBA. The announcers loved Kanon. He was the leading scorer in both games. I think he scored 27 in a win and 22 in a loss. He never shows any emotions. Which seemed to drive the announcers crazy. The minimum salary is 100k with some of them making over a million. My guess and it is only a guess Kanon is much closer to the top than the bottom. This kid isn't about being flashy as most of the players are he is all business all the time. He plays the 3 to start but moves to the 4 with different rotations. He also guards who ever brings the ball up. Vince Edwards is as close to Kanon as I can recall. The league is different than anything I have seen they play three 8-minute quarters and a 12-minute 4th quarter. They also have a rule where you have to play 4 on 5 to make the games closer. The coaches are live during the game and at the half. Both sets of announcers deemed Kanon a NBA lock. He had 3 blocks in the loss and another in the win. IMO he will start and star for Purdue from the first exhibition game at the 4. He just doesn't have a flaw to his game on either side of the ball. Every kid out there is a star in waiting every one of them is either Power 5 or NBA ready. The 24 second shot clock really changes the pace of the game which suits Kanon to a tee. I never imagined I would say this, but I think this league is a good thing for the one and done players. I know it will benefit Kanon and Purdue. I expect Kanon will arrive on campus NBA ready if he isn't already there.
Don't go getting me excited like this, please.

Sounds great. I usually reserve judgement on the high school “ superstars” we sign as they play against some weak competition. But that’s not the case with Overtime Elite. The only concern is that if he continues to shine could he decide to go straight to the NBA? I assume Purdue offered big money to counter that?

Reactions: oldboiler52

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: oldboiler52
Sounds great. I usually reserve judgement on the high school “ superstars” we sign as they play against some weak competition. But that’s not the case with Overtime Elite. The only concern is that if he continues to shine could he decide to go straight to the NBA? I assume Purdue offered big money to counter that?
I don’t think He can go to the nba after. This is like his senior year of HS…he would either go to Purdue or stay at OTE for another year.

It’s an either or I believe. If he wants tot maintain college eligibility, he gets a scholarship instead of a salary. Those who don’t care about maintaining eligibility can take a salary. The size and amount of scholarship is what is unknown.

One and done or a couple of Boiler years?
I’ve read as of now he is projected the end of the first round…I would think if that were to hold true, he’d stay another year…so selfishly I hope two. And that way him, Colvin, Heide and Harris can all play together for 2 years (on top of Smith, Burgess, TKR and Loyer of course). Potentially could be a really athletic, different boiler team. **All speculation though**

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT