ADVERTISEMENT

Justine Hall transferring ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004
Reported this here on Sunday, but Purdue has made it official now, that sophomore guard Justine Hall is transferring.

Purdue's full release below ...

Sophomore guard Justine Hall has decided to transfer from the Purdue women’s basketball program and was granted her release by Coach Sharon Versyp on Tuesday. The 5-foot-10 Denver native appeared in 30 games over the last two seasons for the Boilermakers, averaging 5.9 minutes per game.

“We wish Justine the best of luck in her future endeavors, academically and athletically, and thank her for all the hard work over the past two seasons,” said Versyp.

Hall played in 10 of the Boilermakers’ first 13 games this season, averaging 1.8 points per game in 8.1 minutes. Hall scored a career-best 11 points on 5-of-6 shooting against Incarnate Word on Dec. 10.

This is Purdue's third transfer since the end of last season, joining Haley Bodnar and Erica Moore. Also, 2015 signee Lamina Cooper did not enroll in the fall, although Versyp has left the door open to the possibility of her joining the program at some point in the future.

This leaves us with 11 players out of 15 potential scholarships if I'm not mistaken.

3 seniors (Wilson, Hamby, Thornton)
2 juniors (Perry, Morrissette)
2 sophomores (Keys, Horrocks)
4 freshmen (Murphy, Kiesler, McBryde, Abel)

I'm not sure if Abel is a scholarship player or not so it's possible we only have 10 of 15 scholarships accounted for right now?

Which means we will only have 7 experienced players heading into next year with 3 frosh (Coach V might get more now that there are openings). That is not a very good nucleus. It seems that every team that has little depth struggles. For example, Murphy will prob be the lead pg next year without a lot of experience. Those 3 players could have made for a deep roster. And of course if there are injuries it can really thin a team. This season is going well so far but the future now looks a bit shaky.

This leaves us with 11 players out of 15 potential scholarships if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not sure if Abel is a scholarship player or not so it's possible we only have 10 of 15 scholarships accounted for right now?

Abel is a walk-on.

I am not a regular on this forum so WHAT is the deal with all these transfers?

I do not believe we have EVER had 15 recruits on scholly. I don't know whether it is SV keeping some in the bank in case a top level player becomes available or she may be under an internal limit imposed by our cheap skate AD trying to keep the books balanced.

It does seem to happen to us more often than others but I just saw UConn and S. Carolina had players leave in the last week also. I think this situation with us was playing time for Miss Hall. May have been another homesickness from the west though who decided not to come back for the 2nd semester, who knows?

I do not believe we have EVER had 15 recruits on scholly. I don't know whether it is SV keeping some in the bank in case a top level player becomes available or she may be under an internal limit imposed by our cheap skate AD trying to keep the books balanced.

15 seems like too many to try to keep happy anyway but with several transfers having us down to 10 players I think we're uncomfortably low. Maybe we'll be able to find a good JUCO to bring in next year to help balance it out more.

On another board, someone pointed out that both Curry and Versyp recruited the same number of players--and had the exact same number of transfers from those players. FWIW.

On another board, someone pointed out that both Curry and Versyp recruited the same number of players--and had the exact same number of transfers from those players. FWIW.

What was the point that was being made by that?

Several fans were griping about SV, saying she couldn't hold onto good players, so another poster pointed out that SV and KC were absolutely even in the number of players recruited and the number of players who transferred.

Several fans were griping about SV, saying she couldn't hold onto good players, so another poster pointed out that SV and KC were absolutely even in the number of players recruited and the number of players who transferred.

I guess 10 scholarships right now seems a little slim to me no matter who the coach is. SV doesn't seem overly concerned about it based on her recent comments though. Hopefully she can land monster classes in 2017 and 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT