ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Tiller

Wilt 13

True Freshman
Jul 12, 2007
If we lose to BG fire Hazell. Tiller interim. Packed stadium. Fun returns. Worth thinking about !!!

I'd be all for that (assuming Hazell was fired, which isn't happening no matter what), but I don't think Joe wants to put up with our BS anymore. I think he's too busy and content with fly-fishing in big sky country, to volunteer for this punishment.

At any rate, the Boilers fortunes are about to take a dramatic turn for the better, starting with Bowling Green (at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself :D).

I'd be all for that (assuming Hazell was fired, which isn't happening no matter what), but I don't think Joe wants to put up with our BS anymore. I think he's too busy and content with fly-fishing in big sky country, to volunteer for this punishment.

At any rate, the Boilers fortunes are about to take a dramatic turn for the better, starting with Bowling Green (at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself :D).
If you worked under me I'd get you drug tested followed by a psych eval.

If we lose to BG fire Hazell. Tiller interim. Packed stadium. Fun returns. Worth thinking about !!!
F Tiller. He is the guy who retired on the job and then dictated Hopeless to succeed him. I booed him at Ross-Ade Saturday.

F Tiller. He is the guy who retired on the job and then dictated Hopeless to succeed him. I booed him at Ross-Ade Saturday.
This is at least partially incorrect. Tiller was eager for Spack to follow him. In fact, he was very skeptical of the Hope decision. The decision to hire Hope was all Burke's, largely influenced by former players.

Tiller as an interim would at least put some fun back into Purdue football. It is impractical, however, as the assistant situation would be a mess.

I would look for a future coach who could bring a staff with him. Having a turn-key solution on the whole staff can be very powerful.

If you worked under me I'd get you drug tested followed by a psych eval.

No need, I admit it - that's the liquor talking. (How else would I be able to stomach Purdue football... followed by Colts football for "desert"?)

Anyone that would boo Tiller is an idiot. If we were 3-0 right now, I doubt you'd have booed him. Try not to let disgust for this season taint your opinion of the winningest coach in Purdue's history. He wasn't perfect, but he's done what only one other guy in the past 120 years could do - win at Purdue consistently.

You don't know jack -- Tiller never retired in place -- Cutis Painter never panned out as expected and too many years of MB's penny pinching caught up with recruiting. Plus, Spack never would have let JT retire in place, if he'd wanted to -- since Spack was heir apparent and he wanted that job more than his next breath. The mistake was not appointing Spack the HC, but our dumb a$$ fan base turned on Spack when the defense dropped off due to recruiting misses.

You don't know jack -- Tiller never retired in place -- Cutis Painter never panned out as expected and too many years of MB's penny pinching caught up with recruiting. Plus, Spack never would have let JT retire in place, if he'd wanted to -- since Spack was heir apparent and he wanted that job more than his next breath. The mistake was not appointing Spack the HC, but our dumb a$$ fan base turned on Spack when the defense dropped off due to recruiting misses.
HTF does MB's alleged penny pinching relate to JT not recruiting. He seemed to not want to get off his comfortable FA and go out and talk to kids and get them to come to Purdue. Spack had some pretty good NFL players when his defense could not stop Mother Teresa and 10 more nuns.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
HTF does MB's alleged penny pinching relate to JT not recruiting. He seemed to not want to get off his comfortable FA and go out and talk to kids and get them to come to Purdue. Spack had some pretty good NFL players when his defense could not stop Mother Teresa and 10 more nuns.

Are you kidding me? ... recruiting fell off in JT's last few years because we didn't invest in the facilities necessary to compete against our peer institutions, which at the time were MSU, Wisky, Iowa, etc. Wisky tried to hire Spack as their DC in 2005 or 06 because they -- and most others -- thought he was the best Defensive coach in the B1G, doing more with less. Wisky offered Spack almost twice what MB was paying -- and they came poaching our best coaches because they knew MB was underpaying. Our D fell off with recruiting and because most of the remaining talent was put on offense. Spack should have taken the Wisky DC offer, he'd be a successful Power 5 HC somewhere now. But instead, he was loyal to Purdue, and learned like so many others before him, that Purdue shows zero appreciation to those who are loyal.

Are you kidding me? ... recruiting fell off in JT's last few years because we didn't invest in the facilities necessary to compete against our peer institutions, which at the time were MSU, Wisky, Iowa, etc. Wisky tried to hire Spack as their DC in 2005 or 06 because they -- and most others -- thought he was the best Defensive coach in the B1G, doing more with less. Wisky offered Spack almost twice what MB was paying -- and they came poaching our best coaches because they knew MB was underpaying. Our D fell off with recruiting and because most of the remaining talent was put on offense. Spack should have taken the Wisky DC offer, he'd be a successful Power 5 HC somewhere now. But instead, he was loyal to Purdue, and learned like so many others before him, that Purdue shows zero appreciation to those who are loyal.

+1000

Didn't he have half those yards against IU? Curtis was an excellent passer if he had the time to set up and survey the field, which is why he got a cup of coffee in the NFL. But his effectiveness fell dramatically if the D got any pressure on him at all, and he could never "feel" pressure and adjust, which is why we weren't more competitive against the better teams back then.

Brother in law was on the colts staff when Painter was there. Said he had a much better arm than 18 and was more accurate. Christensen was always frustrated with him because he couldn't do read progressions.

You make a good point in your last sentence about loyalty to Purdue fans. Being a season ticket holder for more than 60 years, this is a new all time low for the program when we are an underdog at home to a 1-2 MAC team.

Reactions: Redhotfill
obviously it would be a step up, but the reason the Purdue did so well under Tiller was he was ahead of the curve in the midwest as far as having a spread offense. Once the midwest caught up to having to cover WRs all over the field, Tiller wasnt having as much success. Also didnt hurt that Brees(HOF NFL QB) was under center.

I've never seen a QB so afraid as Painter was during that night game against OSU. Look up "deer in headlights" or "peeing down leg" and you'll see a picture of him that night.

I've always felt like the inability to win big in the 2002 and 2003 seasons really killed us. Those defenses were really good, the best of my lifetime, and we didn't get it done offensively. Yes I know we were 9-4 (I think) losing new years day to UGA in 03, but oh what could have been (@ OSU anyone?) That 02 season was especially painful, because we gave away every game with just plain ridiculousness.

I've always felt like the inability to win big in the 2002 and 2003 seasons really killed us. Those defenses were really good, the best of my lifetime, and we didn't get it done offensively. Yes I know we were 9-4 (I think) losing new years day to UGA in 03, but oh what could have been (@ OSU anyone?) That 02 season was especially painful, because we gave away every game with just plain ridiculousness.

And now that I think about it I think we laid a big-time egg in Ann arbor in 03 too. 31-3? We were way better than that.

And now that I think about it I think we laid a big-time egg in Ann arbor in 03 too. 31-3? We were way better than that.

Purdue fans who act like the last three years are so terrible have very selective memories. My heart has been broken on fall Saturday's for decades.

Reactions: pu1985
Purdue fans who act like the last three years are so terrible have very selective memories. My heart has been broken on fall Saturday's for decades.

Oh yes, many many fans are heartbroken every year. But what we are enduring right now is not heartbreak in that sense. This is complete and utter disgrace. Humble pie. I would kill for an 8 win team right about now.

This is it. I guarantee that had we gone with Spack, we would be in a very different place as a program. We simply do not need to be as bad as we have been.

Reactions: Redhotfill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT