ADVERTISEMENT

Jayla Smith

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Had high hopes for her, in her last 30 minutes of action she’s 0-11 from the floor, is her confidence shot? Is she injured? Was told all off-season how this was her season to finally show the potential that we’ve heard about, so far things haven’t gone well, anyone have thoughts on her game and what’s gone wrong? Player development lately has to be a concern to some, doesn’t seem like players are getting better.

Had high hopes for her, in her last 30 minutes of action she’s 0-11 from the floor, is her confidence shot? Is she injured? Was told all off-season how this was her season to finally show the potential that we’ve heard about, so far things haven’t gone well, anyone have thoughts on her game and what’s gone wrong? Player development lately has to be a concern to some, doesn’t seem like players are getting better.
I have nothing specific on Smith but you are right that player development is a big concern for me. Four players are in their third year with Gearlds as head coach. None of them are playing better this year than their first year here IMO.

I have nothing specific on Smith but you are right that player development is a big concern for me. Four players are in their third year with Gearlds as head coach. None of them are playing better this year than their first year here IMO.
Correct, last year was a tourney team, most all returned, losing by 40 to an injured ND team is a concern. I hope they rebound and salvage the season, there’s still time.

I’ve been a fan of how athletic she is. As an IN Miss BB, I had high hopes for her. Purdue was her only offer out of HS however. She seems indifferent to me now. Like she’s checked out. Maybe discouraged. Seems like a good kid. JT, Layden Sr. and Jayla all seem burned out to me. Ellis keeps playing hard just lacks consistency. I can’t see Madison coming back. She acts miserable during games. She won’t want the pressure of being a veteran, with Ellis, Harper Sr and JT gone. I bet she goes out with those three. Excited about Poole coming in.

I am still missing Ava Learn. Seems like Katie likes What Al McGuire used to call "aircraft carriers" on her team.
They don't get pushed around, but they haven't shown much leaping ability (viz. rebounding) or ability to run the floor. Ava had both those skills. OK, my last comments on Ava.

I am still missing Ava Learn. Seems like Katie likes What Al McGuire used to call "aircraft carriers" on her team.
They don't get pushed around, but they haven't shown much leaping ability (viz. rebounding) or ability to run the floor. Ava had both those skills. OK, my last comments on Ava.
I don't know you are correct because she did not take full advantage of Woltman either. And the whole team misses Learn's energy and what she brought to the team. She's certainly shining at Murray St.

Reactions: Brya31
I miss her too. She played with joy and energy and enthusiasm - and when she wasn’t in the game she was a high-energy cheerleader from the bench. That vibe seems to be missing this year. There is just something different about the chemistry.
As other posters have said in various threads, the team seems to have regressed - it’s baffling to me. One would think/expect that with a solid core of returnees there would be at least some improvement. It’s like the air has gone out of their sails - I just hate it for them, for the program, and us fans.
I do wonder if the addition of so many new faces has disrupted team dynamics and caused this “wobbliness” and inconsistency in play. I’m rambling …. Sorry. Just disappointed.

Glad to hear Ava is doing well at her new school. Wish her huge success!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT