ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas Article

He makes some valid points but loses me when he talks about NIL:

'just like anyone else in our society and just like any student who isn't a student-athlete'

Everyone that isn't a student athlete doesn't have the scholarships that pay for basically everything that a student-athlete gets. It's not an equal comparison.

I am fine if the players want to make money off of their image and what not, they should, but it also should come off of their overall scholarship somehow so it is fair to those that can't.

Last edited:

'just like anyone else in our society and just like any student who isn't a student-athlete'

Everyone that isn't a student athlete doesn't have the scholarships that pay for basically everything that a student-athlete gets. It's not an equal comparison.

I am fine if the players want to make money off of their image and what not, they should, but it also should come off of their overall scholarship somehow so it is fair to those that can't.
Yeah, Bilas has no idea what a normal student has to deal with. Yeah, they can work a job, which can mean late hours, long hours, and then trying to find time to study without all of the tutors and support athletes get. And then with all that, they get to have to actually pay for the experience.

Bilas is an idiot.

What did you think of the section”It’s time to get serious about physical on court play?”
Most of his rule changes are nonsense and we just need to call the game to the rules we already have. Really, his stupidity lost me at the thought a secondary defender can't slide in to take a charge. His entire goal seams to be to turn the game into a one on one game so once you beat your defender, you should have a clear path to the basket.

Just call the fouls as they are now and physicality is taken care of and stop punishing big players for being big.

Most of his rule changes are nonsense and we just need to call the game to the rules we already have. Really, his stupidity lost me at the thought a secondary defender can't slide in to take a charge. His entire goal seams to be to turn the game into a one on one game so once you beat your defender, you should have a clear path to the basket.

Just call the fouls as they are now and physicality is taken care of and stop punishing big players for being big.
The widening the lane argument is dumb, 4 quarters is take it or leave it IMO. Pass on advance the ball out of a timeout. Reviews suck but I'd rather have the right call made in a crucial moment then lose because they missed an obvious call.

His thoughts on bench decorum are interesting, I think refs are too lenient with some coaches (K, Izzo etc.) and let them yell and complain all game. Should have a quick T when a coach is complaining for more than 15-30 seconds on a single call. But I hate the idea that coaches couldn't talk to officials because they're seeing things that they'd want the refs to look at as they feel the opponent is getting away with something illegal.

Lastly, the charge is a cluster nowadays. The way a secondary defender is refereed is by two separate refs, the ball handler is watched by one ref, and the secondary defender is watched by another and it makes it really hard to see when a player has left the ground on a bang-bang block-charge call. Personally I'd like to see an early barrier to be set to take a charge to encourage freedom of movement and honestly player safety, sliding in late is a danger to the player jumping off the floor. The gather is a better spot to officiate the secondary defender trying to take a charge than when they leave the floor. The counterpoint to that is that a secondary defender that jumps straight up/back, shouldn't be called for a foul because they took contact in the chest and their arms come down, that's a natural reaction to getting hit in the chest. IMO an offensive player initiating contact gets called a defensive foul way too often

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

It's also just not true. I studied English Ed and was explicitly told I couldn't have a job while student teaching. I got ten credit hours for that and spent at least 60 hours a week between lesson planning, teaching, and grading papers.

There are a ton of examples on top of this--good luck ever getting a good PR or entertainment industry job without an unpaid internship. Calling the amateur status of athletes unique is way off. And, like you mentioned, they get the royal treatment in revenue sports.

It's a dumb, tired argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT