ADVERTISEMENT

Jahaad Working

He likely won't be physically ready for minutes right away. He's shorter and not as strong as even Eric Hunter was coming into last year.

Nojel, Hunter, Proctor, Newman, and Sasha will be able to handle the 1-3 positions. Wheeler, Haarms, Tre, and EB will be able to handle the 4 and 5. I'd be shocked if IT gets 10 min/gm.

Where would Dowuona fit in all of these. He redshirted last year, has length and athletic ability and came in as a 4 star recruit.

Where would Dowuona fit in all of these. He redshirted last year, has length and athletic ability and came in as a 4 star recruit.
That's something I have been trying to figure out as well. My hope is that one of the four 5s can play a lot of time at the 4. The way it looks right now, we have four players at the 5 spot that are all capable of playing big time minutes.

That's something I have been trying to figure out as well. My hope is that one of the four 5s can play a lot of time at the 4. The way it looks right now, we have four players at the 5 spot that are all capable of playing big time minutes.

I am not a huge fan of EB, but he can slide to the 4 as he can hit the 3.

And Wheeler is a better version of Vince Edwards. He might play the 4 for us, but his natural position is the 3 and that's where he will play and the next level. Both him and Nojel could each play 3 positions, maybe 4 for Nojel because he has the strength to guard most 4's. Gives us crazy flexibility.

Reactions: LionBulldog83

And Wheeler is a better version of Vince Edwards. He might play the 4 for us, but his natural position is the 3 and that's where he will play and the next level. Both him and Nojel could each play 3 positions, maybe 4 for Nojel because he has the strength to guard most 4's. Gives us crazy flexibility.
I think you may be a bigger fan of EB if he didnt have Haarms and Tre in front of him. He hasn't really gotten to showcase his skills because of that imo. He was a different player prior to his injury, so hopefully he can get healed up and be that player again. I agree that we could see him as the backup 4.

Regardless, he is a great teammate and a very valuable member of the team, imo.

I agree with you that the Boilers will be very versatile next year and it will be fun to watch.

Wheeler better than VE.........good to know.

Wheeler better than Vince??? Um, no.

I'm not sure Dowuona will be ready to contribute in a major role next year. In the scrimmages I watched before last season, he did not impact the games very much. His athleticism and potential sticks out on HS YouTube clips, but it will probably take him some time to adjust to the speed of the high major level since he is still learning the game. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I am waiting until his Soph/JR year for him to really start contributing.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

More explosive, but VE was a stat sheet stuffer. Wheeler has shown flashes, but the light bulb hasn't come on yet. When it does, watch out. I see him as a Glenn Rice type of player.

Do people forget we play 3 guard lineups? It’ll most likely be:

-Nojel
-Proctor
-Sasha

Hunter could be in one of those 2 other spots. Hard to tell yet. Or Newman. Who knows.
Nothing against Sasha, but he is not starting next year. He makes too many mistakes and turns the ball over too much. Both very fixable and I am sure will be fixed sooner rather than later. That said, I don't think he is ready to start day 1. I see it as between Hunter and Newman (if Newman can show he can protect the ball). Also, small chance (minuscule probably) that Painter moves Wheeler over to the 3 as he has in the past said that is where Wheeler is best suited (depends on ability to guard other wings).

If the stories of Manny's (what the players call him) athleticism are true, he could get mins in a twin towers situation because of possible ability to guard on the wing. From what I have read (not seen him in person), Manny is an absolute stud athlete that moves like a wing in the body of a old school 5. If these reports are true, there is a possibility of paring him with Williams as Manny could guard the opposing 4/wing and Williams can guard the block. Again this is speculation. None of us have seen enough of him to know.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
More workout video of Jahaad preparing for the upcoming season...
FYI-Posting videos for BoilerNation so that they can get a 1st hand look at Jahaad. I've read a lot of different opinions based off of minimal information...so these videos give you a glimpse of Jahaad working out, so you can get a 1st hand look at his shot, his shot making ability, mid range and 3ball, dribbling, etc
No way am I posting videos to pick up enemies, receive shots, or minimize the work of any of his other teammates....
Just want to give BoilerNation a 1st hand look at my son at work before he arrives to campus...
See you Monday BoilerNation...
The journey begins.....

#BoilerUp
#CantWait
#Truth
#BeGreat

FYI-Shout out to Bryan Majors of Major Prep Sports Performance Training...
1 of my former players 11-12 years ago, now playing with the Washington Generals, traveling with the Harlem Globtrotters. Currently training college players and pros. Check him out at MajorPrep.

Thanks for these. I'm going to try that dribbling drill at the start. If I can do half of it I'll tear up the Y.
Looks like he'll be a great pickup. Definitely a worker and built like a man. He looks huge in that small gym

More workout video of Jahaad preparing for the upcoming season...
FYI-Posting videos for BoilerNation so that they can get a 1st hand look at Jahaad. I've read a lot of different opinions based off of minimal information...so these videos give you a glimpse of Jahaad working out, so you can get a 1st hand look at his shot, his shot making ability, mid range and 3ball, dribbling, etc
No way am I posting videos to pick up enemies, receive shots, or minimize the work of any of his other teammates....
Just want to give BoilerNation a 1st hand look at my son at work before he arrives to campus...
See you Monday BoilerNation...
The journey begins.....

#BoilerUp
#CantWait
#Truth
#BeGreat

FYI-Shout out to Bryan Majors of Major Prep Sports Performance Training...
1 of my former players 11-12 years ago, now playing with the Washington Generals, traveling with the Harlem Globtrotters. Currently training college players and pros. Check him out at MajorPrep.
Thanks for the videoa of your son. Its nice to get a little preview before the season. What was the main reason he choose Purdue? Goals for the year?

For those that don't see the Wheeler vs VE difference it might be because your thinking of Senior year Vince or you are romanticizing freshman Vince.

Either way, Vince was my favorite player on that team, I just love glue guys who are versatile, they are so important to a team's success, so this is not a knock on Vince, I thought he was the most NBA likely of the class.

But Wheeler has better length and athletic ability and has a better shot. Vince played twice as much as a Freshman because the team wasn't as strong that year and we needed him. Vince for sure is a better ball handler and passer.

But, Vince played exactly twice as much 27 vs 13.7. If you double Wheelers numbers, you will see what I mean. And I get how Vince improved through the 4 years, something yet to be seen with Wheeler, but as freshman, Wheeler is the slightly better prospect and I think he will end up being a late first pick as a sf much like Vince.

For those that don't see the Wheeler vs VE difference it might be because your thinking of Senior year Vince or you are romanticizing freshman Vince.

Either way, Vince was my favorite player on that team, I just love glue guys who are versatile, they are so important to a team's success, so this is not a knock on Vince, I thought he was the most NBA likely of the class.

But Wheeler has better length and athletic ability and has a better shot. Vince played twice as much as a Freshman because the team wasn't as strong that year and we needed him. Vince for sure is a better ball handler and passer.

But, Vince played exactly twice as much 27 vs 13.7. If you double Wheelers numbers, you will see what I mean. And I get how Vince improved through the 4 years, something yet to be seen with Wheeler, but as freshman, Wheeler is the slightly better prospect and I think he will end up being a late first pick as a sf much like Vince.
I wish it were as simple as a players production staying the same with increased minutes. Tre would have monster numbers next year if that were the case.

I think there are a couple of things you may be overlooking in this comparison. For starters, you are comparing Vince's numbers as a true freshman to Wheeler's numbers as a RS Freshman.

Vince's passing is what sets him far apart in this comparison. They aren't even close to the same level in that area. In all other areas, I could see an argument for them being similar. I'm expecting Wheeler's numbers this year to be similar to Vince's numbers as a sophomore with the exception of assists.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Thanks for these. I'm going to try that dribbling drill at the start. If I can do half of it I'll tear up the Y.
Looks like he'll be a great pickup. Definitely a worker and built like a man. He looks huge in that small gym
Yeah, I like the dribbling and shooting drills. If i do that with my new UA customized Curry shoes, I will dominate the pickup games at the church gym on the weekends.

Thanks for the videoa of your son. Its nice to get a little preview before the season. What was the main reason he choose Purdue? Goals for the year?

The coaches did, by far, the best job of recruiting him. Early into Jahaad entering the transfer portal, he heard from just about everyone. Seton Hall, Michigan, Nevada, Utah State, BC, TCU, Gonzaga, Maryland were the early favorites. A couple of days after that Purdue, Arkansas, Loyola-Chicago, New Mexico State, Murray State, Clemson, Wake Forrest got into the mix. After the dead period Kansas, Kansas State, Virginia, Texas Tech, Stanford, Florida, Cal, Arkansas, Pitt were all interested. Coach Brandon was the lead recruiter. He did an excellent job presenting all aspects of the University to us. Then the academics at Purdue speaks for itself, and we are definitely about our academics(2019 Scholar-Athlete of the Year in the Big South-2 time All Academic Team in the Big South, 2 time CoSida Academic All-District III Team).Before the official, we kinda knew Purdue was the right spot for him. However, after the visit it solidified his initial thoughts. Furthermore, the MBA program recruited Jahaad as well, which solidified his choice to come to Purdue. Gets the Best of both Worlds!

To help Purdue in whatever aspect Coach Painter needs. Albeit he was recruited for his ability to score the ball. He wants to help Purdue win the Big 10 conference, the conference tournament and win their 1st National Championship, while becoming a fan favorite of Purdue Nation. Hopefully cementing his name in the hearts and books of Purdue history!
#TRUTH
#BOILERUP
#BeGreat

I wish it were as simple as a players production staying the same with increased minutes. Tre would have monster numbers next year if that were the case.

I think there are a couple of things you may be overlooking in this comparison. For starters, you are comparing Vince's numbers as a true freshman to Wheeler's numbers as a RS Freshman.

Vince's passing is what sets him far apart in this comparison. They aren't even close to the same level in that area. In all other areas, I could see an argument for them being similar. I'm expecting Wheeler's numbers this year to be similar to Vince's numbers as a sophomore with the exception of assists.

Its not just numbers, its watching their games.

I think Wheeler will develop. He will never be as good of a passer as Vince, but he will be a better scorer and probably defender because of his extra length and quickness. I love Vince, one of my favorite Boilers ever. I use the comparison as a compliment to Wheeler, but they are different players and I think we will see Wheeler blossom allot next year and probably lead the team in scoring.

Nothing against Sasha, but he is not starting next year. He makes too many mistakes and turns the ball over too much. Both very fixable and I am sure will be fixed sooner rather than later. That said, I don't think he is ready to start day 1. I see it as between Hunter and Newman (if Newman can show he can protect the ball). Also, small chance (minuscule probably) that Painter moves Wheeler over to the 3 as he has in the past said that is where Wheeler is best suited (depends on ability to guard other wings).
It’ll be Sasha’s third year in the program. I personally believe he makes a leap and cleans up the mistakes.
My opinion.
Who else can shoot in that lineup other than Wheeler?( Proctor isn’t a definite YET)
EH is a shooter but needs muscle and hasn’t proven it yet.
Newman will still be a freshman.

Sasha is starting imo. We’ll see as the season gets closer. He shot 40 percent from 3. No one else on the team is close currently.

Maybe Newman is ready to go from day 1

The coaches did, by far, the best job of recruiting him. Early into Jahaad entering the transfer portal, he heard from just about everyone. Seton Hall, Michigan, Nevada, Utah State, BC, TCU, Gonzaga, Maryland were the early favorites. A couple of days after that Purdue, Arkansas, Loyola-Chicago, New Mexico State, Murray State, Clemson, Wake Forrest got into the mix. After the dead period Kansas, Kansas State, Virginia, Texas Tech, Stanford, Florida, Cal, Arkansas, Pitt were all interested. Coach Brandon was the lead recruiter. He did an excellent job presenting all aspects of the University to us. Then the academics at Purdue speaks for itself, and we are definitely about our academics(2019 Scholar-Athlete of the Year in the Big South-2 time All Academic Team in the Big South, 2 time CoSida Academic All-District III Team).Before the official, we kinda knew Purdue was the right spot for him. However, after the visit it solidified his initial thoughts. Furthermore, the MBA program recruited Jahaad as well, which solidified his choice to come to Purdue. Gets the Best of both Worlds!

To help Purdue in whatever aspect Coach Painter needs. Albeit he was recruited for his ability to score the ball. He wants to help Purdue win the Big 10 conference, the conference tournament and win their 1st National Championship, while becoming a fan favorite of Purdue Nation. Hopefully cementing his name in the hearts and books of Purdue history!
#TRUTH
#BOILERUP
#BeGreat
Speaking from experience I can guarantee you this your son will be judged good and bad by many whether on this board or not my advice to u let his game on the court do all the talking. Ive been there done that

Speaking from experience I can guarantee you this your son will be judged good and bad by many whether on this board or not my advice to u let his game on the court do all the talking. Ive been there done that

I was wondering if you'd share some parental advice. It's true there are some trolls that like to talk trash but those are not usually actual Purdue fans.

Those of us who love the program, show up to Mackey and follow these guys appreciate everyone who works and plays hard. Some point out more flaws than others but it all comes from wanting the best for the program and the guys busting their asses to make it and themselves better.

Looks like Jahaad will fit in perfectly as a boilermaker

#TRUTH
#BOILERUP
#BeGreat
I agree with everything you said as to why Purdue was the best fit. Question, have you or anyone you know been to a B10 game at MA? If you have not, get ready for one the best basketball venues anywhere.

For sure he is an exciting addition to our Boilers. I proven scorer at the college level to put next to your son. Worked well last year obviously, but as you have said your son is gaining confidence in his shot, should be amazing to watch on the court this year.

Out of the 350 Division 1 programs or so, how many were led in rebounding by there starting PG I wonder, lol. Still the most under rated part of your son's game, one that will translate very well to the next level when he decides to make the jump

Vince, as a true freshman, was better than Wheeler last year. Better passer, ball handler, and rebounder, and overall a much more consistent player. Wheeler was a spotty catch and shoot guy last year, and not very quick laterally on defense. He’s got upside for sure, but a long way to go to catch up with Vince, IMO.

Vince, as a true freshman, was better than Wheeler last year. Better passer, ball handler, and rebounder, and overall a much more consistent player. Wheeler was a spotty catch and shoot guy last year, and not very quick laterally on defense. He’s got upside for sure, but a long way to go to catch up with Vince, IMO.

I like Wheelers game allot, just like Vince. Vince is a better ball handler and passer for sure, but Wheeler is a better scorer and shooter and his 2 inches and better athletic ability will allow his game to develop more imo. That said I forgot Wheeler red shirted so for sure Vince at this point was ahead.

Reactions: delish1
I like Wheelers game allot, just like Vince. Vince is a better ball handler and passer for sure, but Wheeler is a better scorer and shooter and his 2 inches and better athletic ability will allow his game to develop more imo. That said I forgot Wheeler red shirted so for sure Vince at this point was ahead.
How can you say Wheeler is a better scorer? He has no dribble drive game or post up game and Vince had both.

1) EB @ the 4 ?? Coach mentioned several times last season that he can play the 4 on offense, but can't GUARD most 4's.

2)Wheeler ? NOT better than Vince. + can play TWO positions: 3 & 4. Handles not good enough for the 2/ not enough bulk for the 5..NBA ? Will need a STEEP performance curve upturn

How can you say Wheeler is a better scorer? He has no dribble drive game or post up game and Vince had both.

Valid points, not sure if we have seen all of Wheeler's game. Post up wasn't something VE did much freshman year, but he did always have the ability to drive.

1) EB @ the 4 ?? Coach mentioned several times last season that he can play the 4 on offense, but can't GUARD most 4's.

2)Wheeler ? NOT better than Vince. + can play TWO positions: 3 & 4. Handles not good enough for the 2/ not enough bulk for the 5..NBA ? Will need a STEEP performance curve upturn

Makes sense on EB not being able to guard the 4, obviously in modern basketball the position you can defend defines the position you play.

I don't think Wheeler is ever a 2 at the next level, he for sure needs to bulk up, but that should happen. I would also like to see more from Wheeler on his driving and dribbling. I feel he has more than we saw, was just trying to fit into the team last year.

Reactions: Schnelk
I would say its the most interesting thread even if it has gone off topic. We get to learn a bit about the newest member who will have a big impact.

I should have written, "I don't understand the point of this part of the thread."

A pissing match, pitting a current player (Wheeler) against a former player (V Edwards)?

Nah.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT