ADVERTISEMENT

IVEY needs to set on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one needs to be an NBA expert, we can see what NBA considers valuable. JI will go far before Carsen, JJ, 3'Twaun, and Biggie. I don't see the point in comparing him to JBC or Big Dog, game has changed and the type of player that is valued is changed. Plenty of NBA players that looked nothing like Big Dog or JBC out of college have went on to become all-stars.

I just want to confirm your stance that you believe JI is a project in process?

Again, look at the current numbers … since he turned 20 years old … Ivey in his last seven games is shooting 24 percent from three and 37 percent overall with 24 turnovers against 15 assists -- his judgment now openly questioned by neutral parties -- while Purdue went 4-3 -- two baskets away from 2-5 -- and came from ahead to lose the Big Ten championship it had been favored to win. Is that the clutch production of a finished performer? Is it progress of any kind? Or is that a full month of regression with much work to do? Or are you just anxious to see him go before he’s able to even buy his pro teammates a drink? I want to see him get better and fully kick ass, then treat fellows to champagne instead of champ-pain. Legally, of course.

Again, look at the current numbers … since he turned 20 years old … Ivey in his last seven games is shooting 24 percent from three and 37 percent overall with 24 turnovers against 15 assists -- his judgment now openly questioned by neutral parties -- while Purdue went 4-3 -- two baskets away from 2-5 -- and came from ahead to lose the Big Ten championship it had been favored to win. Is that the clutch production of a finished performer? Is it progress of any kind? Or is that a full month of regression with much work to do? Or are you just anxious to see him go before he’s able to even buy his pro teammates a drink? I want to see him get better and fully kick ass, then treat fellows to champagne instead of champ-pain. Legally, of course.
So, a 7 game stretch where he is not playing as well as earlier in the season defines how he will play for the rest of the season? You say Purdue went 4-3 (two baskets away from 2-5). Well, Purdue is also a few baskets, more FTs, or less TOs from 6-1 in that stretch.

To lay all of Purdue’s struggles at his feet is just plain disingenuous. Outside of Edey, nobody has consistently played well in that stretch. At times, Hunter played better. Gillis played better at times. Tre, Sasha, IT, Furst all struggled - yet it’s all Ivey’s fault. WTH.

So, a 7 game stretch where he is not playing as well as earlier in the season defines how he will play for the rest of the season? You say Purdue went 4-3 (two baskets away from 2-5). Well, Purdue is also a few baskets, more FTs, or less TOs from 6-1 in that stretch.

To lay all of Purdue’s struggles at his feet is just plain disingenuous. Outside of Edey, nobody has consistently played well in that stretch. At times, Hunter played better. Gillis played better at times. Tre, Sasha, IT, Furst all struggled - yet it’s all Ivey’s fault. WTH.

Not what I said. Blame is universal. But the fact remains Ivey is the designated lottery pick who did not play close to that way when most needed over a month’s time as Purdue blew the title.

Not what I said. Blame is universal. But the fact remains Ivey is the designated lottery pick who did not play close to that way when most needed over a month’s time as Purdue blew the title.
Sorry, but if he played out of his mind and won us the title but had a bad game and "lost" it for us in the tourney you would be singing the same tune. His production over a couple of games does not determine how he translates to NBA. He would not be better off getting a year older at Purdue, he will have the best facilities, coaches, and competition the world has to offer in the NBA. Will he be successful, we will have to wait to find out, but my guess is he will end up the best we have seen out of Purdue since Big Dog.

The sad thing is your position only makes it look like you want him to fail. I'm sure NBA teams don't care about your La z boy analysis and they will draft him where he deserves and will develop him appropriately. Best of JI is still yet to come.

So you are saying the team goes as its best player goes? Astute…

Two things are certain-

1) Ivey is a top 5 pick barring serious injury

2) the Boilers will go as far as he takes them. They hitched their wagon to his star (rightfully so) and the offense runs through him.

we can win if he doesn’t play well - see our last stretch - but we have a ceiling of about the sweet 16 / elite 8 with him not performing his best.

We are almost impossible to beat if he plays at his peak. Basketball is a team game won by individuals. Team with the best player wins 9 out of 10 unless all else is crazy unequal (like Steph Curry at Davidson).

I could be wrong, I am all of the time. But I see Ivey having a tourney for the ages. Carmelo Anthony type tourney.

^^^^Hot take alert^^^^
Here's a specific suggestion. Rather than benching Ivey when things go poorly, if/when Purdue gets up double digits (which they often do).....keep/take Ivey and Trey out of the game for 4-ish minutes. They are the two players that tend to lose some focus and try to get fancy and do too much. Let the other guys keep the game "controlled".....and we may be in better shape with sustained momentum when they come back into the game.

Reactions: Boilerrk
So you are saying the team goes as its best player goes? Astute…

Two things are certain-

1) Ivey is a top 5 pick barring serious injury

2) the Boilers will go as far as he takes them. They hitched their wagon to his star (rightfully so) and the offense runs through him.

we can win if he doesn’t play well - see our last stretch - but we have a ceiling of about the sweet 16 / elite 8 with him not performing his best.

We are almost impossible to beat if he plays at his peak. Basketball is a team game won by individuals. Team with the best player wins 9 out of 10 unless all else is crazy unequal (like Steph Curry at Davidson).

I could be wrong, I am all of the time. But I see Ivey having a tourney for the ages. Carmelo Anthony type tourney.
I like your thinking on this.

Reactions: DenverBoiler
Sorry, but if he played out of his mind and won us the title but had a bad game and "lost" it for us in the tourney you would be singing the same tune. His production over a couple of games does not determine how he translates to NBA. He would not be better off getting a year older at Purdue, he will have the best facilities, coaches, and competition the world has to offer in the NBA. Will he be successful, we will have to wait to find out, but my guess is he will end up the best we have seen out of Purdue since Big Dog.

The sad thing is your position only makes it look like you want him to fail. I'm sure NBA teams don't care about your La z boy analysis and they will draft him where he deserves and will develop him appropriately. Best of JI is still yet to come.

Bullshit. Seven is not “a couple of games,” let alone one. It’s the last third of the Big Ten season with the championship on the line.

If he had just played average or a couple more had done the same, I would be celebrating the 12th Big Ten title since I’ve been around and banner No. 25 overall. Anything else is gravy, because the Big Ten Tournament means absolutely nothing, and, having seen two Purdue teams make the NCAA Final Four, I can say all that banner does is remind you that you lost.

The sad thing is losing for you obviously is just fine.

Oh FFS, lay off the sauce, dude. This is clueless. You’re comparing a lottery pick to a 5’10” 2nd rounder.

THank you! So OVER people thinking it's strictly IVEY'S FAULT! You win and lose as a team anyway and you rarely hear anybody get the blame ,but Ivey.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
If NBA scouts are telling him he's a Top 5 pick and will be an instant millionaire, how does it make any sense for him to come back to college, risk injury and potentially fall out of the lottery?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Here's a specific suggestion. Rather than benching Ivey when things go poorly, if/when Purdue gets up double digits (which they often do).....keep/take Ivey and Trey out of the game for 4-ish minutes. They are the two players that tend to lose some focus and try to get fancy and do too much. Let the other guys keep the game "controlled".....and we may be in better shape with sustained momentum when they come back into the game.
In that up 10 situation, take Tre/Edey out and put Furst in. Let the team play some transition ball, get a couple easy buckets and try to push that lead out.

Bullshit. Seven is not “a couple of games,” let alone one. It’s the last third of the Big Ten season with the championship on the line.

If he had just played average or a couple more had done the same, I would be celebrating the 12th Big Ten title since I’ve been around and banner No. 25 overall. Anything else is gravy, because the Big Ten Tournament means absolutely nothing, and, having seen two Purdue teams make the NCAA Final Four, I can say all that banner does is remind you that you lost.

You think the B10 regular season is more important than the NCAA tourney?

I don’t think he’s saying that at all. What’s ridiculous is thinking previous seasons in the NCAAT are at all indicative of this season and this team. This idea that the outcome is already preordained and Purdue will get upset earlier than it should is a loser mentality.

None of us know how this will play out. Sometimes teams get good match-ups and/or seedings. Sometimes they just play an inspired stretch of basketball and put a historic run together. This team is capable of that. We’ll just have to see…..

Reactions: mathboy
THank you! So OVER people thinking it's strictly IVEY'S FAULT! You win and lose as a team anyway and you rarely hear anybody get the blame ,but Ivey.
Well Hunter. Tre. IT. Sasha. Knuckleheads complain about everyone of them, too. Ivey gets as much “hate mail” as any of them and it is pathetic. He’s an incredible player with an incredible future and is exactly the kind of player that can carry a team to a National Championship.

Now that I know you are old and jaded it makes sense you would rather have a Big Ten regular season championship over a Final Four.

Your are correct, losing is fine, as going undefeated is nearly impossible. How we learn from the losses is more what I am interested in. I will reserve how I feel about this year when we are either holding the national championship trophy, or sent home with a loss.

Last edited:
While I would be disappointed with anything less than a NC this year (because that is their ceiling), a FF is huge. That is a two game tourney for the NC. A week where you are discussed and exposed on a National Stage. Matt Painter gets to talk to millions of people about our philosophy. Recruiting benefits. Purdue University benefits.

For a program like ours (that is really good but not great) to make a move to the next tier of programs, a FF and a top 5 lottery pick leading them there will do more for Purdue Basketball for the future than 100 B1G championships.

Oh FFS, lay off the sauce, dude. This is clueless. You’re comparing a lottery pick to a 5’10” 2nd rounder.

Truly it’s not fair to compare a player who averaged 34.8 points in one NCAA run, twice going for 42, to one who’s never scored more than 27 against a cupcake. Can’t get carried away there. Carsen also won two Big Ten Championships in three years. No one here has won a Big Ten title or even one NCAA game since. No comparison, for sure.

Now that I know you are old and jaded it makes sense you would rather have a Big Ten regular season championship over a Final Four.

Your are correct, losing is fine, as going undefeated is nearly impossible. How we learn from the losses is more what I am interested in. I will reserve how I feel about this year when we are either holding the national championship trophy, or sent home with a loss.

Oh. That must be it. I’d been wondering why I don’t always get carded anymore. What gave me away? The Big Dog? JBC? Watching Doug Collins play in high school? How about Jerry Sloan, too? No wonder I’m jaded over a sophomore’s slump.

Some of us good ol’ Boilers have already “learned” way too often. We’d like a new Big Ten banner from the 2020s. And one alongside 1932.

If NBA scouts are telling him he's a Top 5 pick and will be an instant millionaire, how does it make any sense for him to come back to college, risk injury and potentially fall out of the lottery?

True. Always gotta worry about risk. Spacelab could fall on his head.

Truly it’s not fair to compare a player who averaged 34.8 points in one NCAA run, twice going for 42, to one who’s never scored more than 27 against a cupcake. Can’t get carried away there. Carsen also won two Big Ten Championships in three years. No one here has won a Big Ten title or even one NCAA game since. No comparison, for sure.
What NBA team does Carsen Edwards play for?

What NBA team does Jimmer Fredette play for? Just because you can score points doesn't make you a better NBA prospect.

Ivey in last 3 weeks went from top 4 pick to maybe not even a lottery pick. No ****ing clue what hes doing out there but it isnt good basketball and he has cost himself quite a bit because of it
Holy cow! Watch yourself on this form saying anything that could be conceived is true about the Almighty Jaden Ivey.. there are guys on here that are so certain about it they are willing to cover any losses he has if he leaves early and is not a lottery pick.
It’s almost like when you are looking out for the guy you’re a bad guy. It’s hilarious. I feel your thoughts though, another year in college basketball is the elixir but whatever he decides to do hopefully he is the one calling the shots because if it doesn’t work out all of the people who have told him to go go go go get the money will disappear and he’ll be left to deal with the aftermath.

I agree that Ivey is great but I don’t know what else Painter could do for him. Unless you give him the ball literally every time, he has had every chance to do whatever he wants and make plays. He just doesn’t have the experience yet to make the best play every time. That’s why he is a lottery pick. He is young, can be so good and has the ability. He just needs to refine his tools and you do that in the NBA when you have what he has. But Painter has clearly let him do what he wants which is totally fine with his ability.
You said something there that really made sense to me. I wasn’t seeing it that way but when you said “there’s nothing more painter can do for him“ that made a lot of sense. I see what you mean he needs to be in the NBA because he’ll be around players that are as fast as him and have a similar skill set and that’s what’s going to make him better. For better or for worse. Hopefully, lottery pick or not, he’ll make plenty of money and not have handlers who swindle it away

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT