ADVERTISEMENT

IU - making dreams come true

After a terrible start this has turned into a great thread. Nice to see we can have a civil discussion. Iu board take note.

Reactions: Boilers1975
Their coach has still stacked some very good classes for them when you compare them to the classes that they usually pull in. iu still isnt a guaranteed win for us yet. I do think Brohm's offensive and Holt/Poindexter's defensive scheme plus our recruiting will get us back to beating them like they owe us money. But our last two bucket games have been narrow victories, so I'm not going to gloat too much yet.

"Narrow victories" is distorted by a lot of late scores allowed in a prevent mode. IU was down three TD's with under eight minutes to go in 2017. They made a late surge to make it look respectable, but never had the ball with a chance to tie. Last year they were down two TD's with under four minutes to go. They got within seven, but once again never had the ball with a chance to tie.

Purdue has won convincingly, if not decisively with what many consider lessor talent. That equation is changing and I wouldn't want to be an IU fan while Brohm is here. He has the decisive schematic advantage Fat Charlie always dreamed about and the talent at the skill positions to make it happen.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
"Narrow victories" is distorted by a lot of late scores allowed in a prevent mode. IU was down three TD's with under eight minutes to go in 2017. They made a late surge to make it look respectable, but never had the ball with a chance to tie. Last year they were down two TD's with under four minutes to go. They got within seven, but once again never had the ball with a chance to tie.

Purdue has won convincingly, if not decisively with what many consider lessor talent. That equation is changing and I wouldn't want to be an IU fan while Brohm is here. He has the decisive schematic advantage Fat Charlie always dreamed about and the talent at the skill positions to make it happen.

I believe IU scored a TD with under 2 minutes in both the 2017 and 2018 games. Purdue was in no danger at the end of either of those "narrow victories"

A more apt comparison is this.

Team A gives up fewer yards but cant keep opponent out of end zone when they do get there.

Team B busts some plays but holds opponents to field goals on the goal line.

Are you comparing Points Against to Total Defense? Because neither of those is an apt description of S&P+..

Let's make it simple to match the room:

1 Clemson
2 Mississippi St.
3 Fresno St.
4 Appalachian St.
5 Washington

1 Mississippi St.
2 Michigan St.
3 Clemson
4 Washington
5 LSU

Which list, to you, is more accurate for Best Defenses in the country? Or put another way, if you were Purdue, would you rather have Fresno St.'s players or Michigan St.'s players? I'll rest my case here because anybody saying Fresno is lying through their teeth.

Are you comparing Points Against to Total Defense? Because neither of those is an apt description of S&P+..

Let's make it simple to match the room:

1 Clemson
2 Mississippi St.
3 Fresno St.
4 Appalachian St.
5 Washington

1 Mississippi St.
2 Michigan St.
3 Clemson
4 Washington
5 LSU

Which list, to you, is more accurate for Best Defenses in the country? Or put another way, if you were Purdue, would you rather have Fresno St.'s players or Michigan St.'s players? I'll rest my case here because anybody saying Fresno is lying through their teeth.
Nonsense

How many did OSU lay on you guys?
Iowa??

Your stupid S&P is flawed. IU runs up stats against shite teams.

Nonsense

How many did OSU lay on you guys?
Iowa??

Your stupid S&P is flawed. IU runs up stats against shite teams.

S&P+ isn't his... and yes it is flawed. But no less flawed then looking at simple statistics like yards per game. Purdue has been the better team since Brohm showed up, IU has had the better defense Purdue the better offense. Which makes complete sense looking at the head coaches.

Reactions: wakeman26
Looks like we can continue our discussion a little longer. We just picked up a 2* LB from New Jersey with MAC level offers. Looks like an under-the-radar, diamond in the rough to me (TIC). He appears to fit the rangy, athletic mold that we’ve favored with linebacker recruits.

Let's make it simple for iu fans. Against similar competition - in Big Ten conference games only Purdue has had a better defense than iu the last 2 years. Per game conference only stats are:

(2017)
Scoring D: P - 19.2 iu - 30.0
Total D: P - 369.8 iu - 362.0
Rush D: P - 134.6 iu - 166.0
Pass D: P - 235.2 iu - 196.0
(2018)
Scoring D: P - 28.2 iu - 33.9
Total D: P - 449.4 iu - 457.4
Rush D: P - 176.4 iu - 181.8
Pass D: P - 271.0 iu - 275.7

The "top 25" defense you cite earlier has largely been built upon a ridiculously weak non - conference schedule. Only 2 games versus P5 conference teams in the last two years. What's amazing is that it gets even easier moving forward with ZERO P5 conference teams on the iu non - conference schedule for the foreseeable future.

[QUOTE=Let's make it simple to match the room:

Reactions: delarno
The "top 25" defense you cite earlier has largely been built upon a ridiculously weak non - conference schedule. Only 2 games versus P5 conference teams in the last two years. What's amazing is that it gets even easier moving forward with ZERO P5 conference teams on the iu non - conference schedule for the foreseeable future.

I'll say it again for the slowest of the board: The S&P+ takes all of that into account. It handicaps/weights results based on opponents.

So no. The top 25 (no quotations needed) defense was not built on a ridiculously weak non-conference.

Looks like we can continue our discussion a little longer. We just picked up a 2* LB from New Jersey with MAC level offers. Looks like an under-the-radar, diamond in the rough to me (TIC). He appears to fit the rangy, athletic mold that we’ve favored with linebacker recruits.

I apologize if I'm repeating myself but if Purdue is taking him at this point in the process, that tells you that the staff fully believes he will be a productive B1G player, regardless of his lack of power 5 offers. If you trust your staff, which Purdue fans clearly do, then this is a good commitment.

I apologize if I'm repeating myself but if Purdue is taking him at this point in the process, that tells you that the staff fully believes he will be a productive B1G player, regardless of his lack of power 5 offers. If you trust your staff, which Purdue fans clearly do, then this is a good commitment.

Agreed. His grandpa is a Purdue legacy who played in the NFL and the staff must have liked what they saw.

I'll say it again for the slowest of the board: The S&P+ takes all of that into account. It handicaps/weights results based on opponents.

So no. The top 25 (no quotations needed) defense was not built on a ridiculously weak non-conference.
S&P is inherently flawed and based on judgment

Here is all I need to know

pts scored vs IU

Iowa 42
OSU 49
MSU 35

It’s score bad Purdue
Iowa 36
OSU 20
MSU 23

If S&P has metrics saying IU has a better D, then you might want ignore S&P. It’s just numbers at this point with no validation or evidence to support

S&P is inherently flawed and based on judgment

Here is all I need to know

pts scored vs IU

Iowa 42
OSU 49
MSU 35

It’s score bad Purdue
Iowa 36
OSU 20
MSU 23

If S&P has metrics saying IU has a better D, then you might want ignore S&P. It’s just numbers at this point with no validation or evidence to support

How should we interpret the 63 against Auburn? Puts you right on par with 4-7, FCS Alabama State.

All excellent counterpoints to why Points Against and Total Defense are the end-all-be-all metric to determine quality of a defense and S&P+ isn't. Case closed, Fresno St. is better defensively than Alabama.

All excellent counterpoints to why Points Against and Total Defense are the end-all-be-all metric to determine quality of a defense and S&P+ isn't. Case closed, Fresno St. is better defensively than Alabama.
Nonsense

These metrics work in small leagues. In any normal metric an argument can be made that Purdue has a better defense.

You want to compare apples and oranges, while I am comparing similar opponents. In which the Purdue defense fared better every time!

Nonsense

These metrics work in small leagues. In any normal metric an argument can be made that Purdue has a better defense.

You want to compare apples and oranges, while I am comparing similar opponents. In which the Purdue defense fared better every time!

You conveniently left Minnesota off your list, so that last line isn't true.

If you truly believe that cherry-picking 1 number from 3 games is a more comprehensive comparison than the S&P+ then more power to you brother.

You conveniently left Minnesota off your list, so that last line isn't true.

If you truly believe that cherry-picking 1 number from 3 games is a more comprehensive comparison than the S&P+ then more power to you brother.
Score

Board

S&P is meaningless and a terrible metric in NCAA

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85
crap like the S&P is for losers to count.

Like... "the popular vote"

Or, most runs in a series.

What matters is the W's and L's.
Exactly

It’s a feel good metric. IU being 25 is virtually no difference from Purdue being 32.

But when you watch the game it’s clear who was the better defense.

So the iu defense is good? Top 25 is usually at least considered good, right? Yet the last 2 years have resulted in 30 and 33.9 points against averages per game in the Big Ten and at or near bottom of the conference rankings. S+P attempts to take into account opponent strength but, in my opinion not very successfully.
If you're happy with your supposed top 25 defense that's fine. It sure hasn't helped to produce a bowl game, or even a 3 win conference season the past 2 years.

Their top 25 defense (sure) could not stop Rondale when they tried. We now have even more weapons now. I think it is pretty safe to say Brohm's streak against IU will stay unblemished for another year.

Their top 25 defense (sure) could not stop Rondale when they tried. We now have even more weapons now. I think it is pretty safe to say Brohm's streak against IU will stay unblemished for another year.

I remember a "Top 25 Defense" being (literally!) dragged into the end zone.

yeah.... that D... man, that's a STOUT defense.

Markell says "hello".

(I think he's still running.)

Reactions: Nieman and Poprudy
I'm no expert on the analytics but my take on IU's defense a year ago is that it reflected its youth, inconsistent through the season and within the games themselves. It played really well at times but was ultimately exposed in critical moments against good offenses.

I do think last year will serve as a positive stepping stone for this upcoming season and that this year's defense will be better and more consistently so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT