ADVERTISEMENT

IU - making dreams come true

indy35

All-American
Dec 14, 2006
Looks like IU has decided that with this year’s recruiting class they are going to be giving kids the opportunity to play FBS football, when they wouldn’t have had the chance otherwise. Those kids would have ended up at Jackson St or Coastal Carolina until the IU coaches stepped up and decided to bring them on the team.

It’s not a winning strategy, but good on the IU coaches for making dreams happen with those kids and for leaving talented recruits available for programs that care about winning games.

Looks like IU has decided that with this year’s recruiting class they are going to be giving kids the opportunity to play FBS football, when they wouldn’t have had the chance otherwise. Those kids would have ended up at Jackson St or Coastal Carolina until the IU coaches stepped up and decided to bring them on the team.

It’s not a winning strategy, but good on the IU coaches for making dreams happen with those kids and for leaving talented recruits available for programs that care about winning games.
Amen brotha! I feel like they deserve some sort of award for this kind act of charity.

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Good Grief...

Their recruiting has improved. Unfortunately for them, so has just about everyone else’s that they will be competing with in the B10. At some point, they’ll need to start winning games.

Their coach has still stacked some very good classes for them when you compare them to the classes that they usually pull in. iu still isnt a guaranteed win for us yet. I do think Brohm's offensive and Holt/Poindexter's defensive scheme plus our recruiting will get us back to beating them like they owe us money. But our last two bucket games have been narrow victories, so I'm not going to gloat too much yet.

Granted it’s just one guy but I’m guessing it matters a little bit that your QB recruit didn’t have any other P5 offers.
Don't forget Christopher Keys and Cameron Knight.
Ty Wise and Caleb Murphy also were looking at the MAC at best.

Their coach has still stacked some very good classes for them when you compare them to the classes that they usually pull in. iu still isnt a guaranteed win for us yet. I do think Brohm's offensive and Holt/Poindexter's defensive scheme plus our recruiting will get us back to beating them like they owe us money. But our last two bucket games have been narrow victories, so I'm not going to gloat too much yet.

We snuck out wins with significantly worse rosters. It's only going to get worse for them haha.

Reactions: indy35 and boilerpt
I get that. However, at this point, who knows what offers that kids claim are even committable? We saw this past year with Sheffield and Notre Dame. That being said, am I willing to drink the Kool-aid and believe that Allen is “building something special” even as his results to-date haven’t shown that? No. I still think Allen is better suited as a coordinator. Time will tell.

Granted it’s just one guy but I’m guessing it matters a little bit that your QB recruit didn’t have any other P5 offers.

IU landed coveted 3/4 star QBs the last two years and did so late in the cycle. That they've taken a kid relatively early in the process that they've had a chance to work out tells me they're not settling in taking this kid. I'm hardly an expert but I've watched his film and am thrilled IU got him.

We snuck out wins with significantly worse rosters. It's only going to get worse for them haha.
Our upperclassmen are still from hazell's worst classes or Brohm's 2017 class which was ranked in the 70s. Our young guys are phenomenal but we're still very thin on depth. Even Rondale's class was ranked like 50th nationally. We have to stack a few more classes together before having no more roster issues.

All of these kids camped at IU and received commitable offers as a result. This is very similar to the OL recruit Purdue recently landed from Pennsylvania.

When your coaches take early commits from kids they've had in camp, it's usually not because they're struggling to full out a class but rather because they've seen up close kids who will make them better. Time will tell obviously but Allen has proven himself able to put together good classes and if he wants these kids early, that says something imo.

Reactions: joe for prez
IU landed coveted 3/4 star QBs the last two years and did so late in the cycle. That they've taken a kid relatively early in the process that they've had a chance to work out tells me they're not settling in taking this kid. I'm hardly an expert but I've watched his film and am thrilled IU got him.
With 2 young 4* guys, iu can take a more developmental guy like they just did. This year is huge for them on the field. Another 5-7 season will do a lot to kill recruiting momentum.

Agree re the guys they’ve gotten recently. Just seems interesting why such a lack of quality offers for him you know?

With 2 young 4* guys, iu can take a more developmental guy like they just did. This year is huge for them on the field. Another 5-7 season will do a lot to kill recruiting momentum.

Agreed. If they miss a bowl game for the 3rd year in a row, his seat will start to warm up IMO.

Agree re the guys they’ve gotten recently. Just seems interesting why such a lack of quality offers for him you know?

Best guess is despite good tools, the kid is really raw. Like Nieman said above, it's the right year for a developmental QB.

Best guess is despite good tools, the kid is really raw. Like Nieman said above, it's the right year for a developmental QB.

I think that's fair. How do you like your class so far compared to last year?

Ty Wise and Caleb Murphy also were looking at the MAC at

Keys is rated very highly on 247...Rivals has yet to rate him.

And remember Jake Replogle?

iu sucks

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I think that's fair. How do you like your class so far compared to last year?

IU just received a commitment from Amaris Brown, a Florida safety with multiple power 5 offers. That brings the class to 9 commits.

My take on the class is that it's been a good, but not great start. It's not likely to be a class with as much sizzle as a year ago (with guys like Sampson James and Jack Tuttle) in that they're highly unlikely to add a RB and for reasons we've discussed, they've taken developmental under the radar type at QB.

Having said that, it's been a terrific start at WR which is a major need position. Landing Rashawn Williams was huge and it looks likely IU will add David Baker as well. I also really like the DBs in the class. They've got a really dynamic corner with size in Keys and a physical safety in Brown.

OL is a big need and landing two in state kids that they've seen a ton of in Wiggington and Knight is a solid start. That said, losing an instate kid like Martes Lewis to Minnesota hurt. That kid is huge and can really move for his size.

I am concerned about where the defensive line ends up. I love Murphy but losing Gage Keys to Minny was a blow. The d-line, along with the O-line, will ultimately tell the story for this class imo. They have multiple spots open for each and need to finish strong if the class is going to be a success.

IU just received a commitment from Amaris Brown, a Florida safety with multiple power 5 offers. That brings the class to 9 commits.

My take on the class is that it's been a good, but not great start. It's not likely to be a class with as much sizzle as a year ago (with guys like Sampson James and Jack Tuttle) in that they're highly unlikely to add a RB and for reasons we've discussed, they've taken developmental under the radar type at QB.

Having said that, it's been a terrific start at WR which is a major need position. Landing Rashawn Williams was huge and it looks likely IU will add David Baker as well. I also really like the DBs in the class. They've got a really dynamic corner with size in Keys and a physical safety in Brown.

OL is a big need and landing two in state kids that they've seen a ton of in Wiggington and Knight is a solid start. That said, losing an instate kid like Martes Lewis to Minnesota hurt. That kid is huge and can really move for his size.

I am concerned about where the defensive line ends up. I love Murphy but losing Gage Keys to Minny was a blow. The d-line, along with the O-line, will ultimately tell the story for this class imo. They have multiple spots open for each and need to finish strong if the class is going to be a success.

How many are you guys likely to take? It should be a smaller class for Purdue (probably not eclipsing 20). Williams was a good get but I do wonder if he'll still be there on signing day (full disclosure I'd think the same if he had committed to Purdue). For all of his offers, to only have IU and Purdue as finalists is interesting.

Baker is an interesting one as it seems that two of his early favorites (Purdue and Iowa) stopped recruiting him awhile ago. Wigginton looks solid but I do have questions on Knight. I know his brother was solid (even though he was hurt a bit) but his younger brother seems like a reach at least right now (I say that realizing our most recent OL commitment didn't have any other P5 offers either).

How many are you guys likely to take? It should be a smaller class for Purdue (probably not eclipsing 20). Williams was a good get but I do wonder if he'll still be there on signing day (full disclosure I'd think the same if he had committed to Purdue). For all of his offers, to only have IU and Purdue as finalists is interesting.

Baker is an interesting one as it seems that two of his early favorites (Purdue and Iowa) stopped recruiting him awhile ago. Wigginton looks solid but I do have questions on Knight. I know his brother was solid (even though he was hurt a bit) but his younger brother seems like a reach at least right now (I say that realizing our most recent OL commitment didn't have any other P5 offers either).

Right now, IU has room for only 19 in this class. Assuming there is a little bit of attrition, I would guess the class ends up at 21 or 22.

IU also has a commitment from a teammate and good friend of Williams, corner Lemuel Neely-Whatley. Hopefully that helps keep Williams in the class.

Iowa didn't stop recruiting Baker from what I understand. He's a guy they prioritized for a long time. Not that it really matters. It's not like Iowa has a great record of identifying WR talent.

Knight's issue is that while listed at 6'3", he's likely closer to 6'0" or perhaps 6'1". He's a good athlete and move really well. That IU took an early commitment from him tells they think he can play but at his height, there's good reason for skepticism.

What are your thoughts on Purdue's class?

Right now, IU has room for only 19 in this class. Assuming there is a little bit of attrition, I would guess the class ends up at 21 or 22.

IU also has a commitment from a teammate and good friend of Williams, corner Lemuel Neely-Whatley. Hopefully that helps keep Williams in the class.

Iowa didn't stop recruiting Baker from what I understand. He's a guy they prioritized for a long time. Not that it really matters. It's not like Iowa has a great record of identifying WR talent.

Knight's issue is that while listed at 6'3", he's likely closer to 6'0" or perhaps 6'1". He's a good athlete and move really well. That IU took an early commitment from him tells they think he can play but at his height, there's good reason for skepticism.

What are your thoughts on Purdue's class?

Yeah that makes sense. Will be interesting with Williams to see what happens. And true re Iowa. I do know Purdue stopped prioritizing Baker awhile back. This was always going to be a small WR class after their haul last year and they likely will only take one more (likely Maliq Carr who Purdue is in really good shape with).

Purdue's overall class is going to be small but after what we've seen the past week, I'm pretty happy. Even with some of the studs we landed last year, the average rating for the class last year on 24/7 was 0.8663 and so far this year, it's at .8757. It seems that the bottom of the class so far is better than what it was a year ago. Landing a 4* RB in Tirek Murphy was big as our RB depth chart has been almost completely wiped out. That guy might start as a freshman. Landing a 4* QB in Alaimo was big as we haven't had a 4* QB in over a decade. OL is probably our biggest weakness and we've landed one of our top priorities in Hartwig in addition to another solid one from Ohio in Bycznski. Kaltenberger was offered in camp so the coaches obviously liked something they saw. Probably take one more OL and hopefully it's Marcus Harper. They landed a safety from Tennessee with multiple P5 offers and a WR from Texas with multiple P5 offers as well. So far, I'm very happy. Throw in a Maliq Carr, Cullen Coleman, and Bryce Austin and we'll be in a good spot.

Yeah that makes sense. Will be interesting with Williams to see what happens. And true re Iowa. I do know Purdue stopped prioritizing Baker awhile back. This was always going to be a small WR class after their haul last year and they likely will only take one more (likely Maliq Carr who Purdue is in really good shape with).

Purdue's overall class is going to be small but after what we've seen the past week, I'm pretty happy. Even with some of the studs we landed last year, the average rating for the class last year on 24/7 was 0.8663 and so far this year, it's at .8757. It seems that the bottom of the class so far is better than what it was a year ago. Landing a 4* RB in Tirek Murphy was big as our RB depth chart has been almost completely wiped out. That guy might start as a freshman. Landing a 4* QB in Alaimo was big as we haven't had a 4* QB in over a decade. OL is probably our biggest weakness and we've landed one of our top priorities in Hartwig in addition to another solid one from Ohio in Bycznski. Kaltenberger was offered in camp so the coaches obviously liked something they saw. Probably take one more OL and hopefully it's Marcus Harper. They landed a safety from Tennessee with multiple P5 offers and a WR from Texas with multiple P5 offers as well. So far, I'm very happy. Throw in a Maliq Carr, Cullen Coleman, and Bryce Austin and we'll be in a good spot.

Tirek Murphy was definitely a big one. Looks like a 3 down back who can play right away at a position of need. Agreed on Hartwig and Bycznski. Those are good additions that make you better. Also thought the WR from Texas looked really good.

Tirek Murphy was definitely a big one. Looks like a 3 down back who can play right away at a position of need. Agreed on Hartwig and Bycznski. Those are good additions that make you better. Also thought the WR from Texas looked really good.

You guys like where you’re at with Fryar or think he’s headed out of state? Who are some of the higher ranked guys you think you can land?

Just want to say I love the civil conversation here. I'm an IU fan and my wife is a purdue fan and I find it silly that people bash and troll each other all the time. We can sit and have a conversation about each others teams and then fight it out on game day lol.
In my opinion only good things can come from both indiana and purdue being solid B1G teams. Can you imagine how awesome the oaken bucket game would be if both teams had really good records? Anyways I see a lot of Developmental guys in IUs class this year which makes sense after stacking two really solid classes.

You guys like where you’re at with Fryar or think he’s headed out of state? Who are some of the higher ranked guys you think you can land?

Fryar apparently really like Tom Allen and has visited IU a ton but PSU and OSU are tough to turn down. He's not committing until the fall so whether IU has a legit chance probably comes down to IU's on field success this fall. Would be a huge get at a position of need obviously.

Two of the bigger names with serious offer lists that IU is pursuing are DE Deontae Craig from Culver academy and south Florida OL Jonathan Denis. Both have been on campus recently. Not really sure how realistic either of these two guys are.

In addition to Maliq Carr, what other big names is Purdue in on?

Fryar apparently really like Tom Allen and has visited IU a ton but PSU and OSU are tough to turn down. He's not committing until the fall so whether IU has a legit chance probably comes down to IU's on field success this fall. Would be a huge get at a position of need obviously.

Two of the bigger names with serious offer lists that IU is pursuing are DE Deontae Craig from Culver academy and south Florida OL Jonathan Denis. Both have been on campus recently. Not really sure how realistic either of these two guys are.

In addition to Maliq Carr, what other big names is Purdue in on?

Purdue is in on Craig too but similar to you guys, not sure how realistic that is.

Others are as follows:

RB/LB: Cullen Coleman
OG- Marcus Harper
WR- Michael Redding
WR- Will Nixon
DE- Greg Hudgins
DT- Octavious Oxendine
DT- Bryce Austin
LB- Ty Berrong
LB- Jordan Turner

Chris Keys' only offer prior to IU was Jackson State, but shortly after committing Wiltfong gave him an 88 rating (would be 3rd highest commit in PU's class) and said it is very possible he ends up as a 4*. Being good at identifying talent early has its downside I suppose, maybe they should have waited for a few other schools to offer first?

IU's recruiting class is rated 60th in the country and ours is 52nd........they have some good recruits and some guys they are taking chances on. We have done that in the past.

IU's recruiting class is rated 60th in the country and ours is 52nd........they have some good recruits and some guys they are taking chances on. We have done that in the past.
During the Hazmat days we just waited to take what was left.

Reactions: delarno
Chris Keys' only offer prior to IU was Jackson State, but shortly after committing Wiltfong gave him an 88 rating (would be 3rd highest commit in PU's class) and said it is very possible he ends up as a 4*. Being good at identifying talent early has its downside I suppose, maybe they should have waited for a few other schools to offer first?

Thoughts on your overall class?

Both? I think the IU staff is doing everything they can but it comes down to what he wants to do.

Thoughts on your overall class?

Solid but need some high-end OL to round it out. A playmaker or two at WR to replace Westbrook/Hale and 4-5 OL are the only true needs in this class. One playmaker box checked, another soon hopefully with Tyler Scott. But I won't feel good about the class until we have multiple solid OL in the fold.

They wanted a project at QB that could potentially move to a different position one day if it worked out that way, and it seems like that's exactly what they got. He seems pretty similar to Marcus McMaryion at Fresno State that Deboer coached to back-to-back All-Mountain West seasons, so you know he fits the offense.

Really need Fryar. Like GK was for your class last year, highly rated in-state legacy. IU has had a ton of trouble closing those in recent history, but it is absolutely something you need to take advantage of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT