ADVERTISEMENT

IU fans are having fun today but never consider a logical conundrum

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
IU fans are having great fun rehashing St. Peter's upset of Purdue last night. They regard Purdue's lack of an NCAA Tournament Championship as evidence of an inferior program to them; discounting head to head record or the number of repective B1G Championships.

However, they simultaneously hold a contradictory idea. John Wooden's NCAA record at UCLA exceeds IU's by quite a bit. However, they argue that their record is not inferior because UCLA's wins were achieved as the result of cheating; specifically payments to players by a UCLA booster (Sam Gilbert.) IU's were achieved legitimately whereas UCLA's were not.

If you accept their thesis, then you must accept that the UCLA defeat of the Rick Mount Purdue team in the NCAA Final game was accomplished by cheating. Logically then, UCLA was not the real winner of that game. Essentially, Purdue was cheated out of a fairly earned championship.

I personally do not subscribe to the Wooden cheated thesis. As far as I am concerned UCLA won those tournaments. However, you cannot hold the UCLA did not earn their tournament wins hypothesis while simultaneously disparaging Purdue's record. It is not possible to have it both ways.

IU fans are having great fun rehashing St. Peter's upset of Purdue last night. They regard Purdue's lack of an NCAA Tournament Championship as evidence of an inferior program to them; discounting head to head record or the number of repective B1G Championships.

However, they simultaneously hold a contradictory idea. John Wooden's NCAA record at UCLA exceeds IU's by quite a bit. However, they argue that their record is not inferior because UCLA's wins were achieved as the result of cheating; specifically payments to players by a UCLA booster (Sam Gilbert.) IU's were achieved legitimately whereas UCLA's were not.

If you accept their thesis, then you must accept that the UCLA defeat of the Rick Mount Purdue team in the NCAA Final game was accomplished by cheating. Logically then, UCLA was not the real winner of that game. Essentially, Purdue was cheated out of a fairly earned championship.

I personally do not subscribe to the Wooden cheated thesis. As far as I am concerned UCLA won those tournaments. However, you cannot hold the UCLA did not earn their tournament wins hypothesis while simultaneously disparaging Purdue's record. It is not possible to have it both ways.
How do you know IU is saying all of this? I've never heard any of this until just now.

Reactions: lifelonghoosier

Who cares how they rationalize their delusion(s)?

That said, of course they are having a field day, and, rightfully so...they absolutely should be.

Purdue has failed time and time again in March...literally now in historical fashion...if the reverse were true, I would NEVER let them hear the end of it...I would buy a Saint Peter's shirt and where it anytime that I did not have my Purdue shirt on...I would answer any question ever about the merit(s) of the programs with "Saint Peter's".

Indinia sucks...but, they at least have history on their side, and, right now, even though they suck...they still don't have the literal historic loss hanging around their neck like an albatross or over their program like Purdue does.

Indinia does indeed suck, and has, but, Purdue sucks even more when it comes to March in that they have failed repeatedly for 42 years now, and, now have compounded said failure by not just blowing the greatest opportunity that they have had to get to a Final Four and play for a National Championship, but, they made history in doing it.

There have been numerous posts over on their site on this issue over time. There are many posts regaling about Purdue's loss last evening.

• Haha
Reactions: BoilTheBIG
There have been numerous posts over on their site on this issue over time. There are many posts regaling about Purdue's loss last evening.
Seriously curious, what makes a person go and worry what they are saying? I've never thought about another teams board and going there to read the posts or troll it.

• Haha
Reactions: iueyedoc99 and BSIT
Misery loves company
Sounds pretty miserable and even toxic at Indinia. Assistant coaches leaking information about each other to Woodson and the media. Fife getting trashed in an orchestrated campaign, with whispers of racial overtones. The Late Night Hemp Hunt at Northwestern and multiple drug test failures and suspensions throughout the season. And now the mass exodus of players has begun. All that for a 9th place team in a Mall Hall with 5,000 - 6,000 empties every game. And most of their fans thought it was a good season. Love owning the State of Indiana now.

Some interesting Stats:
Who cares though?

We know that Purdue is better than Indinia, but, Indinia sucks...they are not relevant even in the conference, never mind nationally.

If the goal was/is to be better than Indinia...awesome...check the box I guess, but, when I look at that and realize that in 17 years, Purdue under Painter has a single BTT title and 3 regular season titles to Indinia's 2, it is not as if Purdue is ridiculously better, nor, accomplished near what one would have hoped even given the talent that Purdue has had in that time.

Most importantly, the zero in the FF column that has been there since 1980 is mind blowing...Saint Peter's now has as many Elite 8 appearances that Purdue has in 17 years...and, they beat a 2-seed and a 3-seed to get there!

Sounds pretty miserable and even toxic at Indinia. Assistant coaches leaking information about each other to Woodson and the media. Fife getting trashed in an orchestrated campaign, with whispers of racial overtones. The Late Night Hemp Hunt at Northwestern and multiple drug test failures and suspensions throughout the season. And now the mass exodus of players has begun. All that for a 9th place team in a Mall Hall with 5,000 - 6,000 empties every game. And most of their fans thought it was a good season. Love owning the State of Indiana now.
Stuart Smalley can help you

Who cares how they rationalize their delusion(s)?

That said, of course they are having a field day, and, rightfully so...they absolutely should be.

Purdue has failed time and time again in March...literally now in historical fashion...if the reverse were true, I would NEVER let them hear the end of it...I would buy a Saint Peter's shirt and where it anytime that I did not have my Purdue shirt on...I would answer any question ever about the merit(s) of the programs with "Saint Peter's".

Indinia sucks...but, they at least have history on their side, and, right now, even though they suck...they still don't have the literal historic loss hanging around their neck like an albatross or over their program like Purdue does.

Indinia does indeed suck, and has, but, Purdue sucks even more when it comes to March in that they have failed repeatedly for 42 years now, and, now have compounded said failure by not just blowing the greatest opportunity that they have had to get to a Final Four and play for a National Championship, but, they made history in doing it.
I am just curious how much time you and a few others spend typing Indinia like it is some huge badge of something. I root for teams from the state of INDIANA regardless but GD if there isnt something else to make yourself look more immature I'd love to know what it is?

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I am just curious how much time you and a few others spend typing Indinia like it is some huge badge of something. I root for teams from the state of INDIANA regardless but GD if there isnt something else to make yourself look more immature I'd love to know what it is?
I will save you the trouble, and, you are not being honest anyway or you would not be over here to begin with (although, I am sure that you do root for all teams from Indinia), but, I would not root for Indinia...EVER...literally, NEVER...and, I spend very little time actually typing it (appreciate your concern and interest though) because I spend so little time or thought on them.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
I will save you the trouble, and, you are not being honest anyway or you would not be over here to begin with (although, I am sure that you do root for all teams from Indinia), but, I would not root for Indinia...EVER...literally, NEVER...and, I spend very little time actually typing it (appreciate your concern and interest though) because I spend so little time or thought on them.
Why? Gin Blossoms

As a frequent commenter on the IU board during the season, the OP's argument is news to me. To be blunt, Purdue had the talent, the bench, but not the game plan for St. Peters and that is inexcusable. Say what you may about UK losing to the Peacocks, it was the first game of the tournament. Painter and staff had several tournament games to evaluate St. Peters and didn't appear to take advantage of it. I don't think I am saying anything new to this forum when I mention that, with Baylor out and UK out, the road was paved for the Boilers. Tough loss but Painter seems to be collecting those. Unless you are satisfied with B10 titles, it may be time for a change.

As a frequent commenter on the IU board during the season, the OP's argument is news to me. To be blunt, Purdue had the talent, the bench, but not the game plan for St. Peters and that is inexcusable. Say what you may about UK losing to the Peacocks, it was the first game of the tournament. Painter and staff had several tournament games to evaluate St. Peters and didn't appear to take advantage of it. I don't think I am saying anything new to this forum when I mention that, with Baylor out and UK out, the road was paved for the Boilers. Tough loss but Painter seems to be collecting those. Unless you are satisfied with B10 titles, it may be time for a change.
Yes, we need advice for the program from the fans from the ever so successful Indinia program...a program that was the last to make it in this year's tournament, and, had to play an extra game to even get in it, then, folded like the cheapest of cheap tents...but, awesome that you apparently knew how Purdue could beat the Peacocks.

Purdue is who it is and is what it is...at least I (and most of the other fans of the program) realize that unlike those on your side that remain so myopic and delusional.

Painter indeed has collected them...and, will continue to likely...how is it any different than Mark Few and Gonzaga, does Gonzaga need to move on as well then?

Nobody is satisfied with anything....well, except for the fact that Purdue has a successful and respectable program, and, guys that they don't have to worry about being suspended for stupidity during the course of the season, or, repeated mass exodus of players...but, nobody is as desperate for validation as those on your side, and, you STILL don't have it, nor are you any closer to getting it.

Yes, we need advice for the program from the fans from the ever so successful Indinia program...a program that was the last to make it in this year's tournament, and, had to play an extra game to even get in it, then, folded like the cheapest of cheap tents...but, awesome that you apparently knew how Purdue could beat the Peacocks.

Purdue is who it is and is what it is...at least I (and most of the other fans of the program) realize that unlike those on your side that remain so myopic and delusional.

Painter indeed has collected them...and, will continue to likely...how is it any different than Mark Few and Gonzaga, does Gonzaga need to move on as well then?

Nobody is satisfied with anything....well, except for the fact that Purdue has a successful and respectable program, and, guys that they don't have to worry about being suspended for stupidity during the course of the season, or, repeated mass exodus of players...but, nobody is as desperate for validation as those on your side, and, you STILL don't have it, nor are you any closer to getting it.
Pound your chest all you want. Purdue has become synonymous with talented teams with early March exits. Would you listen if my moniker was Old Gold and Black? Truth is still truth either way. Have a great night.

Wow you know that much about me? You guys sound like 6th graders that keep saying that. I'm not even going to type it .You go out of your way to miss spell something in every thread . You did it twice just replying to me. Hey whatever but the kindergarten nonsense reaches a point . Over here ? I have been here a lot . I don't choose to post negatives about athletics. The obsession I see on here is comical. If all seeds had followed I am for Purdue through all of them . Yeah If it was an IU PU game I was for IU. PU against any of the other top seeds it was PU no question. It just looks so juvenile to keep this '' Indinia'' crap up up. You obviously spend way too much time obsessing about it , if you spent so little time we can count your '' Indinia'' in posts and I'm sure it is well over 50 likely over 100. Give up the hate. I like to see the state of Indiana basketball do well even if that has to include Notre Dame.

Reactions: JeffBoiler

Having or showing an emotional or intellectual development appropriate to someone younger.

• Haha
Reactions: COBoiler1
Who cares though?

We know that Purdue is better than Indinia, but, Indinia sucks...they are not relevant even in the conference, never mind nationally.

If the goal was/is to be better than Indinia...awesome...check the box I guess, but, when I look at that and realize that in 17 years, Purdue under Painter has a single BTT title and 3 regular season titles to Indinia's 2, it is not as if Purdue is ridiculously better, nor, accomplished near what one would have hoped even given the talent that Purdue has had in that time.

Most importantly, the zero in the FF column that has been there since 1980 is mind blowing...Saint Peter's now has as many Elite 8 appearances that Purdue has in 17 years...and, they beat a 2-seed and a 3-seed to get there!
That's one of our problems. We keep comparing ourselves to a trash program and there's nothing to compere nor should there be. We are Purdue one of the top programs in the B1G and we haven't done s**t in March. This is exactly what we should care about.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Wow you know that much about me? You guys sound like 6th graders that keep saying that. I'm not even going to type it .You go out of your way to miss spell something in every thread . You did it twice just replying to me. Hey whatever but the kindergarten nonsense reaches a point . Over here ? I have been here a lot . I don't choose to post negatives about athletics. The obsession I see on here is comical. If all seeds had followed I am for Purdue through all of them . Yeah If it was an IU PU game I was for IU. PU against any of the other top seeds it was PU no question. It just looks so juvenile to keep this '' Indinia'' crap up up. You obviously spend way too much time obsessing about it , if you spent so little time we can count your '' Indinia'' in posts and I'm sure it is well over 50 likely over 100. Give up the hate. I like to see the state of Indiana basketball do well even if that has to include Notre Dame.
I assume this post was tongue in cheek, especially the lecture regarding spelling. If not, it’s both a lesson on irony as well as evidence that you’re badly in need of a proofreader. Looks like basketball isn’t the only area where Indinia fans are hopelessly deficient. We do love how you run to your Big Brother’s site, though. It’s what Indinia fans must do when they’re not trashing one of their own.

The irony is so rich
The irony is also rich in your handle here. Please remember that at least one, and likely two, of your 5-0 citations were earned in the second tournament. Lest you think that it is just my opinion and not fact, let me post a quote from a recent article in the NY Post, the nation's oldest newspaper.

" College basketball’s oldest major postseason tournament — and once its most prestigious — the National Invitation Tournament has played games at MSG since its inception in 1938. The entire event was held at “The World’s Most Famous Arena” until 1977, when early rounds were shifted to campus and regional sites."

Printed March 24th.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BoilTheBIG
Adorable, and it sure is. This isn’t as difficult as you’re making it. Indinia fans are a little slow that way. Try to hang in there, Gilligan.
You are doing a great job of representing yourself. The mature and rational Purdue fans cringe at your embarrassing posts.

The irony is also rich in your handle here. Please remember that at least one, and likely two, of your 5-0 citations were earned in the second tournament. Lest you think that it is just my opinion and not fact, let me post a quote from a recent article in the NY Post, the nation's oldest newspaper.

" College basketball’s oldest major postseason tournament — and once its most prestigious — the National Invitation Tournament has played games at MSG since its inception in 1938. The entire event was held at “The World’s Most Famous Arena” until 1977, when early rounds were shifted to campus and regional sites."

Printed March 24th.
Too easy, once again Stuart Smalley can help you.

You post just like (lackof) courtsense. Too bad that you are too cowardly to post under your normal name. And to add to it, you refer to the second most awful recurring spot on Saturday Night Live. Why am I surprised?

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
You are doing a great job of representing yourself. The mature and rational Purdue fans cringe at your embarrassing posts.
Look, if you don’t want to keep getting pushed around here, you should post with even a modicum of intelligence. We all realize Indinia isn’t a good program, and the treatment of Fife by your coaches and fans is deplorable, but you’ll have a whole new roster to look forward to next year in your pursuit of 8th place in the BiG. Good luck! Thousands of good seats remain, sporto.

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
You post just like (lackof) courtsense. Too bad that you are too cowardly to post under your normal name. And to add to it, you refer to the second most awful recurring spot on Saturday Night Live. Why am I surprised?
Your “too cowardly” comment is just dumb and false. I have had this handle since I created an account in 2002, sadly the numbers haven’t changed for either program. I rarely post, but the immaturity, ignorance and arrogance on this forum was too funny to ignore.

Here’s the deal, Purdue is a great school. The Purdue men’s basketball program has a strong tradition despite their disappointments in the tournament. Gene Keady is a great coach, a legend, a badass. Coach Painter is a really good coach and a very likable and genuine person who has established his program as a consistent winner.

However, the immature “IU sucks”/Purdue Mentality/Inferiority Complex segment of your fan base is just embarrassing. An example of this type of fan was on full display last week on Indianapolis sports talk radio, the guy was just as focused as trashing IU as he was gushing all over Purdue and its upcoming trip to the Final 4 and ultimate national championship. That guy is an embarrassment to the Purdue fan base, but maybe he is the hero of this forum?

IU has its share of embarrassing fans too no doubt, it’s embarrassing and classless when the IU students chant obscenities directed at Purdue or the Purdue players during games.

Purdue had a great season, just an unbelievably tough ending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT