ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the most disappointing Purdue team ever?

Jan 23, 2005
Indiana
Is it? I don't mean in terms of overall performance due to lack of talent, like the teams in the years right after Keady left. I also don't mean in terms of injury, like the years Hummel got hurt. I mean in terms of talent level to performance level.

It seems to me that this team is significantly underachieving relative to the talent on the squad. At this point, would anyone really be surprised if Purdue lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney? It's ridiculous to have this much talent and keep throwing away games.

I've been a Purdue fan my entire life. My first games in Mackey were when Steve Scheffler and Ryan Berning were on the team. In that time, I can't think of a team that had this much talent with this little to show for it.

Reactions: cprh9u and DG10
Since I've been a fan, yes.
Especially since we haven't been plagued by injuries, off court issues, etc this year.

Very frustrating to watch.
Seems like our overall effort/intensity continues to decline.

We still have the potential to put it All together for a good tourney run though.
But we seem to be trending downward at the worst time of the season.

Is it? I don't mean in terms of overall performance due to lack of talent, like the teams in the years right after Keady left. I also don't mean in terms of injury, like the years Hummel got hurt. I mean in terms of talent level to performance level.

It seems to me that this team is significantly underachieving relative to the talent on the squad. At this point, would anyone really be surprised if Purdue lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney? It's ridiculous to have this much talent and keep throwing away games.

I've been a Purdue fan my entire life. My first games in Mackey were when Steve Scheffler and Ryan Berning were on the team. In that time, I can't think of a team that had this much talent with this little to show for it.
Not to me. It is performing right on target for its talent / experience combination. I do think that we are failing to use our positional flexibility when confronted with really small perimeter scoring opponent lineups. When we went small last night the game turned in our favor.

Since I've been a fan, yes.
Especially since we haven't been plagued by injuries, off court issues, etc this year.

Very frustrating to watch.
Seems like our overall effort/intensity continues to decline.

We still have the potential to put it All together for a good tourney run though.
But we seem to be trending downward at the worst time of the season.
We may have the potential................but don't see it happening! Been tttooooooooooooo long since we have had two good halves BB! One and done with the way we have played lately! I was at Purdue during the Reid-Bullock era (Lewis, Mitchell,and Stephenson were just coming on the seen) Mean Gene coached with so much intensity and it showed on the court with the way his players played. This is such a low energy team! Even when we make good plays, nobody seems to get excited about it.As long as Painter s here, we will be low energy(reflection of his personality)decent program(most occasions underachieving) that is usually a one and done, maybe two and done program! Hate to accept that, but we are what we are!

I can't remember a more disappointing team. The potential is there, I see it. This team is lazy and yes, low energy. They can easily be mentally taken out of games. What good is bringing in talent if you can't coach them? Painter is not getting the job done.

Reactions: cprh9u and DG10
When the team is told to throw ball inside, and either it goes inside, a turnover happens or shot clock is almost done and a wild shot is thrown up, it's no wonder team struggles. Why not work for a good shot , regardless of who takes it? And the ball doesn't always have to be thrown to Hammons or Haas inside. Hammons can hit from outside, Haas can set picks outside. Just feel the team is so one dimensional. Hard to get into flow of game for your shooters.So I feel it's the coaching , just my thoughts

Last edited:
No full court press. No fastbreak points. I know they're instructed to look post first but we miss a lot of opportunities just playing half court all the time. We have no confident consistent slashers and our starting lineup has no confident quality shooters. What's really bad is there are only adjustments when it's too late....ONLY in desperation times. KS also getting low minutes is crazy. Missed the shot but did everything else well.

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Most disappointing defensive team I can remember. Used to be known for hustle, selling out, physical D. Team looked slow and tired last night. We have OK talent but players don't get better. We also make the same mistakes game after game. I think now itbis just our culture.

Reactions: DG10
I think I'll watch to see how the season plays out before declaring this team disappointing, let alone the most disappointing ever.
yes but we only have 3 regular season games remaining, and we are currently in 8th place.
there's a log jam of 5-loss teams above us, but we still have top ranked maryland, one on the road, and a rising wiscy team to face to move up.
much work to do to avoid an 8 BTT seed, let alone being stuck with an 8/9 seed in the ncaa's.
didn't think that was likely even a month ago.

Not to me. It is performing right on target for its talent / experience combination.
are you disappointed w/painter's recruiting and feel we still lack talent, or that we maybe need a starting 5 of all upperclassmen/seniors?
i would counter by saying:
talent - we are not loaded w/5 stars, but we did land swanigan. i think this is the most talent we've had w/painter since baby boilers. and this team is far deeper imo.
experience - 3 seniors get significant minutes. 1 junior used to (KS). next year we will only have 1 senior i believe, and he's coming off a redshirt.
so for next year, our talent/experience combo seems to be decreasing even more overall (gain a good PG but w/no experience, and lose a DPOY and all-B1G center).
there's been various reasons, but that rotation of our classes/class size really hurts long term.

Last edited:
We may have the potential................but don't see it happening! Been tttooooooooooooo long since we have had two good halves BB! One and done with the way we have played lately! I was at Purdue during the Reid-Bullock era (Lewis, Mitchell,and Stephenson were just coming on the seen) Mean Gene coached with so much intensity and it showed on the court with the way his players played. This is such a low energy team! Even when we make good plays, nobody seems to get excited about it.As long as Painter s here, we will be low energy(reflection of his personality)decent program(most occasions underachieving) that is usually a one and done, maybe two and done program! Hate to accept that, but we are what we are!

Spot on. as a fan of almost 40 yrs, this is the first time where I wasn't ready to watch an IU as a fan. The Result was sadly predictable. When I went to a gene Keady coached game I KNEW we had a chance to win every game because he took no prisoners. Fire and passion left Mackey when gene retired. And it seems as if since Robbie graduated painter is not the same person for whatever reason. The rigidness and inflexibility of coaching along with no fire and passion has left us with mediocrity no matter what talent we have.

There is clearly a problem with this team. The failure to maintain focus as evidenced by the second-half meltdowns and the lack of focus and hustle against IU clearly demonstrates this. It is obvious to me that there is a problem. Something is missing between the coaches and the players.

Most disappointing defensive team I can remember. Used to be known for hustle, selling out, physical D. Team looked slow and tired last night. We have OK talent but players don't get better. We also make the same mistakes game after game. I think now itbis just our culture.
Defense and effort were supposed to be the calling card for Purdue with Painter...this team in particular fails in both areas...it is as simple as this, IU was the better defensive team last night, and that is saying something given how bad they have been under Crean at that end of the floor (including earlier this year).

This Purdue team is without question the most disappointing defensive team...to have two returning all-conference defensive players, an then an athlete with the skills and ability seemingly that Edwards possesses (but fails to use on a regular basis), this team should have been above average at a minimum at the defensive end, but it has not been good at all...cannot contain a competent opposing PG, poor against containing the dribble, poor at handling the high pick-and-roll, and a guy in Swanigan that simply is not capable of defending away from the basket yet is asked to do it virtually each and every game.

Reactions: BandofBoilers

Not even close.

Defense and effort were supposed to be the calling card for Purdue with Painter...this team in particular fails in both areas...it is as simple as this, IU was the better defensive team last night, and that is saying something given how bad they have been under Crean at that end of the floor (including earlier this year).

This Purdue team is without question the most disappointing defensive team...to have two returning all-conference defensive players, an then an athlete with the skills and ability seemingly that Edwards possesses (but fails to use on a regular basis), this team should have been above average at a minimum at the defensive end, but it has not been good at all...cannot contain a competent opposing PG, poor against containing the dribble, poor at handling the high pick-and-roll, and a guy in Swanigan that simply is not capable of defending away from the basket yet is asked to do it virtually each and every game.
IU is just a better defensive team than us, without JBJ. I have IU friends who are hoping he never comes back. You are only as good as your worst defender, and he is awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT