ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are you seeing that? I'm not seeing a thing. Googled him, nothing. Not on 247's portal list.

Not starting, another C on the roster now. Maybe just looking. Good luck either way.

Wow. We better be able to shoot next year. I'm not sure Tre can play 32+ MPG with his tendency to foul when frustrated. Dow and Edey may show flashes in non-conf play but they seem ripe for slaughter in the Big 10.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Wow. We better be able to shoot next year. I'm not sure Tre can play 32+ MPG with his tendency to foul when frustrated.
Yeah, I've always felt very comfortable with our defense when Haarms is in. Disappointed, but wish the big guy the best. Always been a fan of Matt.

Is he a grad transfer?

Are non-grad transfers now guaranteed automatic eligibility without sitting out a year? Since he redshirted his freshman year, the only way he he could play next year is if he didn't have to sit out a year.

Is this mean that someone else is taking his minutes next year?
If he were a 5, then who would that be, Dow?
Or, someone else coming in?

I did not see this coming..

G'Luck, Matt.

Is he a grad transfer?

Are non-grad transfers now guaranteed automatic eligibility without sitting out a year? Since he redshirted his freshman year, the only way he he could play next year is if he didn't have to sit out a year.
He can play immediately if he has eligibility remaining, has graduated, and finds a school with a graduate program he wants to be in.

All reports thus far are saying immediate eligibility.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Yeah, I've always felt very comfortable with our defense when Haarms is in. Disappointed, but wish the big guy the best. Always been a fan of Matt.
If you go back and watch the tape he gets himself out of position a lot on D. Gave up a lot of dunks. He doesn’t know how to rotate on D. Still always hedges too much on the pick and roll and Always going for the block. Maybe Painter told him the truth. You better get in the weight room and also improve your game in the gym , because Tre is already in there and looking to take another huge jump this year. Haarms regressed. He still makes the same mistakes now that he did as a freshman. How many times did he foul a 6’2 guard on the shot ? Nonsense. This in the immediate hurts from a depth standpoint , but he wasn’t going to start.

Last edited:
If you go back and watch the tape he gets himself out of position a lot on D. Gave up a lot of dunks. He doesn’t know how to rotate on D. Still always hedges too much on the pick and roll and Always going for the block. Maybe Painter told him the truth. You better get in the weight room and also improve your game in the gym , because Tre is already in there and looking to take another huge jump this year. Haarms regressed. He still makes the same mistakes now that he did as a freshman. How many towns did he foul a 6’2 guard on the shot ? Nonsense. This in the immediate hurts from a depth standpoint , but he wasn’t going to start.
Interesting take and not one I completely disagree with. He definitely wasn't going to start, but he would be playing a valuable role on offense and defense for this team and was going to be much needed next year.

I now worry about Tre's stamina, foul trouble, defensive positioning and the lack of a logical backup.

Perhaps his injuries has taken a toll.
His game was never the same after concussions.
His falls were getting viscous toward the end of the season.
More frequent and longer to get up..

I understand if this were the reason..

"It wasn't anything at Purdue. I just believe that I needed to make a change to help take my game to the next level," Haarms told Rivals.com. "I am definitely wide open right now with things and don't have anything narrowed down."

Oh man! I am bummed! I think Haarms was playing hurt a lot this year and never was quite himself. Was really looking forward to next year and seeing him have a bounce back year and do great things for us. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Probably one of the few things I hate about college basketball is how fluid the players situation is and how short a college career is especially if someone turns pro or transfers. Very few players who transfer seem to have better success elsewhere, but I wish him the best if this is what he wants to do. I just hope he has thought it through well enough.

Not to get back into the redshirt argument, but here’s another one that didn’t stay for their senior year...
Kind of a different situation. He came here in January of his Senior year , because he wasn’t eligible to play in HS. It made more sense for him to come to Purdue for the spring semester than sit around not playing, or practicing anywhere.

He is a shot blocker and he had developed a fairly decent jumper for a 7 footer. But the person here who noted how he constantly leaves his man to go after blocks and gives up a bunch of easy rebound-putback baskets is dead on. Was a constant frustration of mine.

I don't think we have anyone that can replicate his shot blocking right now. Williams is probably good for 25 mpg so we probably need to fill another 15 minutes there. We'll see if Dowuona can give us some productivity.

I do wonder if this had anything to do with our insistence in getting a big man in the incoming class or if this was a complete surprise like someone else said.

I’m floored by this. Bummed out a little too. I loved that he was a guy that other teams fans loved to hate. Wish him well, but still surprised. Thought with the influx of talent coming in he had a chance to have a special senior year.

I’m not worried. Its a loss but not a huge loss imo. He got hurt easily and had major deficiencies in his game even after 3.5 years. I like him as a back-up center but he wasn’t going to be more than that and he probably wants to be the unquestioned starter as a senior. I wish him luck and think we will be fine with Dow and whatever transfer we might bring in. We could definitely be transitioning to a smaller more up-tempo team which is the style CMP wanted to play when he first came to Purdue. We are finally getting some of the necessary pieces

Friends that are UK fans have been texting me the last hour. They think they have a good shot of getting him. Don't know what that "feeling" is based on. Don't want to ask them right now anyway.

As a couple of others stated, I thought he really liked Purdue and our fans. Shocked right now.

Kind of a different situation. He came here in January of his Senior year , because he wasn’t eligible to play in HS. It made more sense for him to come to Purdue for the spring semester than sit around not playing, or practicing anywhere.
Yes, we know all that. But like Sandi, JT, and others, he’s another redshirt leaving early. Just an observation, that’s all.

Interesting take and not one I completely disagree with. He definitely wasn't going to start, but he would be playing a valuable role on offense and defense for this team and was going to be much needed next year.

I now worry about Tre's stamina, foul trouble, defensive positioning and the lack of a logical backup.

Yeah, sure would have been nice to give Dow some minutes thru the year for his development. But so many people said we were already loaded at center. Then Haarms got hurt and is now transferring. So now we're thin at both the 4 and 5. Just great...

I think there's also issues with this team from a leadership perspective that probably weighed in on his decision as well. There's certainly something "not right" with this team right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT