ADVERTISEMENT

Is it only a matter of time...? "I Am An American"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is f'n cheesy besides the political crap going on.

Also its funny it is played since Purdue has one of the largest international student populations.

I'd be fine if it didn't exist anymore.
and yet, that "large" international student base is probably more proud of the opportunity Purdue, and this country, is offering them than you insinuate.

Is it only a matter of time before Purdue starts getting pressure, possibly internally, to do away with "I Am An American" at the beginning of football games?
Would President Daniels just laugh it off and tell those protesters to take a flying F***?
Would the administration take any complaints seriously?
I wonder what the fan base response would be if it were even brought up for debate?
I'm assuming this is the result of silent sam being torn down? Outside the destruction of taxpayer property in many cases, the ignorance of sooooooo many protesters wanting to belong to a herd and "feeling" they are doing something of worth with little to no understanding of the civil war, relative to the view and support of slavery above and below the Mason Dixon, line leaves little hope for a bright future. Like many...I "FEEL" a sense of pride in what this country has accomplished when I hear those words. With all the warts that show up from time to time, the USA is at the apex of the mountain all wish to climb. If those words are removed, it will be the result of the silent majority or the evolution of a new vocal group wishing to make this country more like those a few rungs below.

Removing history eliminates the tie to the past and the present with implications of a future. Most find value in that understanding. However, if you wanted to fundamentally change the USA...remove the references to history and start with a blank sheet is a sound approach

I'm assuming this is the result of silent sam being torn down? Outside the destruction of taxpayer property in many cases, the ignorance of sooooooo many protesters wanting to belong to a herd and "feeling" they are doing something of worth with little to no understanding of the civil war, relative to the view and support of slavery above and below the Mason Dixon, line leaves little hope for a bright future. Like many...I "FEEL" a sense of pride in what this country has accomplished when I hear those words. With all the warts that show up from time to time, the USA is at the apex of the mountain all wish to climb. If those words are removed, it will be the result of the silent majority or the evolution of a new vocal group wishing to make this country more like those a few rungs below.

Removing history eliminates the tie to the past and the present with implications of a future. Most find value in that understanding. However, if you wanted to fundamentally change the USA...remove the references to history and start with a blank sheet is a sound approach
Truth

[QUOTE="tjreese, post: 1826684, member: 4834"

Removing history eliminates the tie to the past and the present with implications of a future. Most find value in that understanding. However, if you wanted to fundamentally change the USA...remove the references to history and start with a blank sheet is a sound approach[/QUOTE]

I favor maintaining the same language as recited before but I question whether or not this patriotic ceremony actually reflects a "historical" significance. I was present when it was initiated at the first home game after the Iranian Hostages were abducted by thugs in Nov 1979. It had a fantastic response and gave me chills at the time but may not be as representative as it was a few years ago.

Reactions: destewart
[QUOTE="tjreese, post: 1826684, member: 4834"

I favor maintaining the same language as recited before but I question whether or not this patriotic ceremony actually reflects a "historical" significance. I was present when it was initiated at the first home game after the Iranian Hostages were abducted by thugs in Nov 1979. It had a fantastic response and gave me chills at the time but may not be as representative as it was a few years ago.

Welp, now you found the commies an out clause here.

Especially if it's in response to actions of Muslims. Nice knowing you "I am an American"

In today's climate of cultural self-immolation it's not too far-fetched to think that the self-appointed arbiters of mores and thinking would at some point target "I Am An American." When statues of William McKinley(!) are being toppled, even benign expressions of pride and patriotism are considered dangerous.

I would hope that any attempt to erase that pre-game tradition would simply be ignored. If, however, an organized protest or campaign became loud enough, I believe that Mitch and Mike would politely but firmly remind the afflicted that they are free to avoid Ross-Ade Stadium on bright autumn days so that their sensitive ears are not inflamed.

I hadn't heard about that earlier this year http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-native-american-statue-removal-20180401-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT