ADVERTISEMENT

Is it only a matter of time...? "I Am An American"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
Is it only a matter of time before Purdue starts getting pressure, possibly internally, to do away with "I Am An American" at the beginning of football games?
Would President Daniels just laugh it off and tell those protesters to take a flying F***?
Would the administration take any complaints seriously?
I wonder what the fan base response would be if it were even brought up for debate?

Last edited:
I always liked the performance. I admit I haven't heard it in over 40 years as I don't really visit Purdue that much . As far as a debate goes, I would welcome an update to some of the words. I recall while in school, Some of the words were changed from the original version to reflect our current country.

I am an American. That's the way most of us put it, just matter of factly. They are plain words, those four: you could write them on your thumbnail, or sweep them across this bright autumn sky. But remember too, that they are more than just words. They are a way of life. So whenever you speak them, speak them firmly, speak them proudly, speak them gratefully. I am an American.

Is it only a matter of time before Purdue starts getting pressure, possibly internally, to do away with "I Am An American" at the beginning of football games?
Would President Daniels just laugh it off and tell those protesters to take a flying F***?
I wonder what the fan base response would be if it were even brought up for debate?
They could always kneel during the presentation. tic

Reactions: cjcollie

Have people protested this? If not, I feel its pretty moot.

Theres no mention of race....religion....anything really controversial.

The second I can't be an American and celebrate that in America....I'm out.

Have people protested this? If not, I feel its pretty moot.

Theres no mention of race....religion....anything really controversial.

The second I can't be an American and celebrate that in America....I'm out.
I'm not aware of it being protested but we live in "Butt-Hurt USA" these days and you can bet a Brohm trick play that someone is going to complain about it. I'd be shocked if they didn't. Anything celebrating nationalism or pride in your country seems to be a target.
But I agree with you. If the admin were to cave in to the snowflakes, Purdue wouldn't see another dime from me. (preemptive strike).

I'm not aware of it being protested but we live in "Butt-Hurt USA" these days and you can bet a Brohm trick play that someone is going to complain about it. I'd be shocked if they didn't. Anything celebrating nationalism or pride in your country seems to be a target.
But I agree with you. If the admin were to cave in to the snowflakes, Purdue wouldn't see another dime from me. (preemptive strike).

Ain't gunna happen. I welcome the protesters. Love knowing who the local commies are.

In today's climate of cultural self-immolation it's not too far-fetched to think that the self-appointed arbiters of mores and thinking would at some point target "I Am An American." When statues of William McKinley(!) are being toppled, even benign expressions of pride and patriotism are considered dangerous.

I would hope that any attempt to erase that pre-game tradition would simply be ignored. If, however, an organized protest or campaign became loud enough, I believe that Mitch and Mike would politely but firmly remind the afflicted that they are free to avoid Ross-Ade Stadium on bright autumn days so that their sensitive ears are not inflamed.

Last edited:
Nearly 15% of student body is decidedly not American anymore....
In today's climate of cultural self-immolation it's not too far-fetched to think that the self-appointed arbiters of mores and thinking would at some point target "I Am An American." When statues of William McKinley(!) are being toppled, even benign expressions of pride and patriotism are considered dangerous.

I would hope that any attempt to erase that pre-game tradition would simply be ignored. If, however, an organized protest or campaign became loud enough, I believe that Mitch and Mike would politely but firmly remind the afflicted that they are free to avoid Ross-Ade Stadium on bright autumn days so that their sensitive ears are not inflamed.

I completely agree and would like to believe that most snowflakes go to IU, the ones that make it to our campus would never attend such a barbaric sporting event known as (American) football, and if they do and were to protest our pregame ceremony, the above would be the best response.

Bubbye snowflake.

Apparently being an American is nothing to be proud of.
“We are not going to make America great again. It was never that great.”
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo 8/15/18

I think it is f'n cheesy besides the political crap going on.

Also its funny it is played since Purdue has one of the largest international student populations.

I'd be fine if it didn't exist anymore.

Reactions: Frankie611
I think it is f'n cheesy besides the political crap going on.

Also its funny it is played since Purdue has one of the largest international student populations.

I'd be fine if it didn't exist anymore.

It's been going on a lot longer than the crappy political environment that you're referring to which IMHO has coincided with the explosion of social media. I like it because it's unique to Purdue and shows pride in our country.

I cannot agree, being an American is something of which to be proud. Norm
I think we are all proud to be an American. I just don’t think we all have such an emotional attachment to a PA announcement. But I think we all appreciate the sentiment of it and I think none of us have heard a single complaint about it. So I’m confused by what triggered the OP to suddenly warn us all that it was under target.

Well this turned in to a rage debate pretty quickly...I’ll take the bait though.

The speech is an amazing show of patriotic pride and one I, as a liberal, get choked up at every.damn.time I hear it. I stood on that field and saluted the flag while being the drum major of the AAMB and took pride in carrying on that tradition and would get compliments from opposing bands and fans when they would hear that for the first time.

When you actually look at individuals like me and actually have a conversation with me, you’d see that I don’t hate patriotic things...I hate idiotic individuals who couldn’t give me a 10% of an understanding of the Civil War telling me the Confederate flag is about heritage. I had a lot more but it got to be a bit to much.

I love coming here and talking sports and other aspects about sports with each and every one of you...but I don’t come here to talk politics.

#triggered

I hope the great I Am An American announcement is always part of the pre game at Ross Ade stadium.Until it is removed I am not going to worry about it any more than I will worry about Coach Brohm leaving.

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue

Getting all hot and bothered over Potential responses to a (unlikely) theoretical event...just isn’t my thing

You could easily make this a whole series though.

“It’s only a matter of time before purdue tears down the Union! I would not give a dime!”

Well this turned in to a rage debate pretty quickly...I’ll take the bait though.

The speech is an amazing show of patriotic pride and one I, as a liberal, get choked up at every.damn.time I hear it. I stood on that field and saluted the flag while being the drum major of the AAMB and took pride in carrying on that tradition and would get compliments from opposing bands and fans when they would hear that for the first time.

When you actually look at individuals like me and actually have a conversation with me, you’d see that I don’t hate patriotic things...I hate idiotic individuals who couldn’t give me a 10% of an understanding of the Civil War telling me the Confederate flag is about heritage. I had a lot more but it got to be a bit to much.

I love coming here and talking sports and other aspects about sports with each and every one of you...but I don’t come here to talk politics.

Don’t get sucked in...

They could always kneel during the presentation. tic
I think we just found a solution to the NFL anthem problem. Play America the Beautiful while reciting a poem and allow players to kneel and then stand united for the anthem.

Jeez what a persecution complex. Everybody wants to be a victim, so much as to invent hypotheticals just to feel attacked!

"Oh no! It's so terrible! I bet after the damn liberals and commies get rid of "I am an American" they'll replace it with forcing everyone in attendance to make out in a big ol gay makeout session. I'm outraged at this offensive scenario I just made up! I can't believe Nancy Pelosi is going to ban football and make the players wear skirts! I won't stand for it!"

Unwad your panties and get a grip.

Jeez what a persecution complex. Everybody wants to be a victim, so much as to invent hypotheticals just to feel attacked!

"Oh no! It's so terrible! I bet after the damn liberals and commies get rid of "I am an American" they'll replace it with forcing everyone in attendance to make out in a big ol gay makeout session. I'm outraged at this offensive scenario I just made up! I can't believe Nancy Pelosi is going to ban football and make the players wear skirts! I won't stand for it!"

OT: But Nancy Pelosi should go back to her home planet.

Reactions: jimsil13
I am going out on a limb here and saying it will never happen. If you dont like being an American, go to IU and be a pussy like the rest of the Hoosiers

Why did you mention a gay make out session? Aren't we talking about Purdue traditions?

OT: But Nancy Pelosi should go back to her home planet.
Something I think both Dems and GOP could agree with. The Dems will do much better if they move away from Pelosi and Schumer trying to control what occurs with the Dem party. The old guard needs to move along and it should have happened after Clinton lost the election. Young and influential Dems that both sides can respect, like Joe Kennedy III need to come to the forefront.

Excellent post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT