ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Interesting comparison: Howard vs. Yancey

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Still waiting to hear anything official on Ra'Zahn Howard. I'd be shocked if he's back for his senior season.

I was going back through my old quotes, looking to see what kind of things Hazell has said about Howard, and I came across this exchange from after the 2014 season -- in December. That would have been Howard and DeAngelo Yancey's sophomore seasons.

Yancey's sophomore year was incredibly disappointing after what seemed like a pretty good freshman season. After playing sparingly but showing some flashes as a true freshman, Howard seemed to make some strides as a sophomore, though he battled injuries.

The two guys appeared to be moving in opposite directions. We know now they attacked the subsequent year-and-a-half much differently.

But, from then, here's what Hazell had to say:

Asked about Howard: "Ra’Zahn needs to be much better. He’s got the ability to make plays, but he doesn’t do it consistently. A lot of that has to do with some of the other stuff that’s always (makes gestures with arms), trying to figure out."

Asked about how viewed Howard and Yancey: "One has a lot of confidence (Howard). One has false confidence (Yancey). One has the ability to really take over a game, in my mind, if he can figure it out above the shoulders (Howard). The other one, I’m not so sure yet."

Howard's future/potential: "(I like) the quickness, power, but he has to mature enough to forget about the abilis and all this and this and that. Will he do that this offseason? I hope so because he’s certainly good enough."

Interesting stuff, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.