ADVERTISEMENT

In: Stadium alcohol sales, Out: Pass-outs

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Thoughts? Do you see this as a net positive or negative?

Personally, I never used the re-entry/pass-out system. Never parked close enough to realistically make it back to the game. And I may buy an occasional beer. So, for me this is a positive, but curious about others' thoughts.

On the plus side I can see this keeping more fans in the stadium for halftime (and the second half of blowouts). And if you're willing to pay, the convenience of not having to go outside the stadium for beverages.

The downside is freedom of movement. The stadium lot parking passes may lose some of their appeal. Also, there are other reasons people use the pass-out system besides to get alcohol.

Last edited:
Thoughts? Do you see this as a net positive or negative?

Personally, I never used the re-entry/pass-out system. Never parked close enough to realistically make it back to the game. And I may buy an occasional beer. So, for me this is a positive, but curious about others' thoughts.

On the plus side I can see this keeping more fans in the stadium for halftime (and the second half of blowouts). And if you're willing to pay, the convenience of not having to go outside the stadium for beverages. I have heard home and visiting fans remark positively about this aspect of the Purdue football experience.

The downside is freedom of movement. The stadium lot parking passes may lose some of their appeal. Also, there are other reasons people use the pass-out system besides to get alcohol.
Oh there will still be pass-outs...

The way we have played in the last few years; we should have offered alcohol before now. That way the Hazell games would have been less painful. There could have also been drinking games too. Take a drink every time the other team scores a TD after they were up on us by 3 TDs.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Like the overall concept. Just hope they have more than Bud and Bud Light on tap. Have heard there are craft beers, but haven't been back to see Purdue in the last 2 years due to the "Haze" factor. I might step back onto campus in November or a weekend that my 2 kids are not playing soccer. I've got to check their schedules first.

Reactions: nagemj02
The way we have played in the last few years; we should have offered alcohol before now. That way the Hazell games would have been less painful. There could have also been drinking games too. Take a drink every time the other team scores a TD after they were up on us by 3 TDs.
Beer and wine would not have gotten it done during the Haze era… It would've taken a double of knob Creek just to take the edge off.

Like the overall concept. Just hope they have more than Bud and Bud Light on tap. Have heard there are craft beers, but haven't been back to see Purdue in the last 2 years due to the "Haze" factor. I might step back onto campus in November or a weekend that my 2 kids are not playing soccer. I've got to check their schedules first.

If People's Brewing Company doesn't get in to the stadiums, that would be a real shame. A local company could really benefit and hopefully grow/partner with Purdue Athletics.

1. Revenue to make up for butts in seats that will gradually go back up with the new era

2. Most likely less binge drinking ahead of the game and sneaking in flasks. (Unlikely to stop the Breakfast Club attendees, though)

3. Hopefully some solid craft beers. Fall weather calls for some beers with flavor..not lawnmower beers.

Reactions: nagemj02
I have to believe like Pepsi and Coke, what will be offered will be a national brand of beer. I have to believe the beer maker also gave purdue additional money for the right to sell beer. and I highly doubt the local breweries or craft beers would have the money to be able to just give Purdue money for the right to sell beer.

Think about it. how many football stadiums sell Sun Drop, nehi, big red or RC ? What you'll get is either Bud or Miller and maybe Michelob, PBR, or Coors depending on the brewer.

I have to believe like Pepsi and Coke, what will be offered will be a national brand of beer. I have to believe the beer maker also gave purdue additional money for the right to sell beer. and I highly doubt the local breweries or craft beers would have the money to be able to just give Purdue money for the right to sell beer.

Think about it. how many football stadiums sell Sun Drop, nehi, big red or RC ? What you'll get is either Bud or Miller and maybe Michelob, PBR, or Coors depending on the brewer.
You can buy sun king at Pacers games, so I wouldn't see why Ross Ade would be any different.

Knowing the amount of Purdue brewers, I suggested a "brew off" to the last admin, with the winner being crowned "Boiler Brew of 2018", etc.

A lot of "craft brands" are owned by the national beers. You'll see them there

The pass-out system was a bit antiquated given today's security environment. I'll miss my halftime tailgating, but consider beer sales inside a net positive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT