ADVERTISEMENT

I'll say it..D'Angelo is babied way too much

boilerjrut3

Senior
Feb 2, 2011
He's good and all, but he gets all the help he wants. Ridiculous. We got outshot by nearly 20 at the line, which is expected. Just frustrated we lost a game we should have won.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

35-13 to be exact. Almost as bad as at Wisconsin. For a team that throws it down low and drives a lot that's pretty ridiculous.

Originally posted by boilerjrut3:
He's good and all, but he gets all the help he wants. Ridiculous. We got outshot by nearly 20 at the line, which is expected. Just frustrated we lost a game we should have won.
3, how many ill advised three's did we take with double digit leads instead of going inside ? How many times did we get trapped in a corner? How many times did we have AJ or Haas or Edwards open on a break and not get the ball to them? How many FT's did we miss? How many TO's did we have?

Personally I like D' Angelo and think he earns everything he gets. Going to be one hell of a pro.

No doubt Russell is good, but he is also a pouty little punk who does get the treatment

we don't get calls because we don't have any players that can drive to the basket strong. the high weave for the first 10 seconds of every possession doesn't really challenge the defense. we have to hit 3s to make space for Hammons otherwise we have no offense.

Originally posted by Boiler8285:
we don't get calls because we don't have any players that can drive to the basket strong. the high weave for the first 10 seconds of every possession doesn't really challenge the defense. we have to hit 3s to make space for Hammons otherwise we have no offense.

Or the players that do the head flop.

Originally posted by Boiler8285:
Ray was clobbered at the end there on his drive and no call

That makes no sense because purdue hit plenty of threes in this particular game.

We were outshot 35-13 at the FT line by a team that doesn't throw it to the paint for points why we do that all the time.

We also drive in the lane a lot and hit 3s tonight. No excuse for being outshot by 22.

which is why we were up at the half. once they walled off Hammons we had to settle Smotherman 3. Our D is tough.

Can't compare FT #s. We'd have shot a lot more than 13 if we'd made the front ends. They made their's we didn't end of story.

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
Can't compare FT #s. We'd have shot a lot more than 13 if we'd made the front ends. They made their's we didn't end of story.
I'd like to see the statline on that. It would still be a large difference sorry

Originally posted by jadeezra:

Originally posted by SIBoiler2:
I'd like to see the statline on that. It would still be a large difference sorry

Mathias made 1-3 one trip and Raphael missed the front end of one and one.

I'll admit, I had a few drinks during the game and I started a bit of a whiner thread, but I couldn't help how protected Russell was.

I think Pat Chambers was right, B1G officiating is bad and freshman like Russell and Tremble are too protected.

Either way Purdue has a chance to win and didn't.

Missed the front end of two 1-and-1s and we fouled around 4 or 5 times (8-10 FTA) at the end that also skews the numbers. The officiating wasn't bad, in fact they were very consistent with their calls. D'Angelo isn't that whiney and he is a he'll of a player--he dissected Louisville in non-conf play.

he's a dirty player that uses cheap tricks on d when he gets beat. flopper on o. plus he's pretty good

This post was edited on 3/2 5:40 AM by spradecki

All is good. I told my daughter at the beginning of the first half after four foul calls after a minute in, that here we go again.

The refs called everything for about the first 4 minutes of the half. Then they let them play and OSU was very physical.

Putting them on the line was the I my say they win and it was a good strategy from Matta.

We should have had this one. Haas also missed the front end. Hit our freebies and we win even with the unbalanced calls.

I might be a bit picky here, but in the first half , Octeus had a wide open put back under the basket and put it up too strong and Bryson missed an easy layup. I thought Bryson played pretty well last night too.

Bryson's Game

Originally posted by PaBoiler78:

I might be a bit picky here, but in the first half , Octeus had a wide open put back under the basket and put it up too strong and Bryson missed an easy layup. I thought Bryson played pretty well last night too.
I also thought last night was one of Bryson's best games. He did well on both defense and offense, including a great dish on a drive. One of his best games. I think he is maturing.

cool.r191677.gif

I don't know if he's "babied" or not, but...
Originally posted by spradecki:

he's a dirty player that uses cheap tricks on d when he gets beat. flopper on o.
All this.

He's worse than a Team Euro soccer player. He even tries to distract while our guys are taking FTs by signaling 1 & 1 flamboyantly when it's a 2 shot foul.

I can't stand the guy. Acted like a complete attention whore when on the bench too.

What a frustrating loss...FU tOSU!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 3/2 10:46 AM by Cleanface

yes i agree
the only reason ohio st was able to handle tom and the hoosiers is because of his head flopping... what a joke..

he's lucky he escaped that game without tom coming after him to be honest

Purdue has an excellent team this year. I like Octeus a lot and Hammonds is a flat out beast when he wants to be and when Purdue looks for him. Purdue also plays excellent Defense. Ohio State was fortunate to get a W.

As far as the BIG officiating, it is just a joke all around. The disparity between calls on the home team vs the visiting team is laughable. It happens across the board in nearly every game. It is amazing with all of the revenue generated from BIG Hoops and the BIG Network they cant do better.

In my opinion, Purdue is built for a nice NCAA run. Good Luck.

russell should consider himself very very lucky that crean didnt come after him... crean would have gave him something to really cry about.

OSU was playing some extremely aggressive defense when they made their run in the second half. It looked like they got away with a number of slaps, geabs, and arm bars to me. Maybe Purdue coyld use some work on their acting skills to draw attention to that sort of thing or maybe it wouldn't have mattered with those refs.was frustrating anyway. The best part of getting back to the ncaas might be getting to watch some well officiated games.

Before you get all worked up, go look at the stat line of our game against OSU in Mackey. We shot way more FT than OSU. And yes, Russell is a golden boy with the officials and media. But hey, he'll get clobbered a few times in the NBA and become a player that doesn't whine. They don't last at the next level unless they are as good as MJ and he isn't. (Not saying MJ was a whiner, most great players don't whine they are just better than the rest.)

Originally posted by Heller:
Before you get all worked up, go look at the stat line of our game against OSU in Mackey. We shot way more FT than OSU. And yes, Russell is a golden boy with the officials and media. But hey, he'll get clobbered a few times in the NBA and become a player that doesn't whine. They don't last at the next level unless they are as good as MJ and he isn't. (Not saying MJ was a whiner, most great players don't whine they are just better than the rest.)
I think he'll do alright, but yeah, there's going to be a learning curve. He won't get to control the ball as much like Paul or Westbrook, but he can shoot and has good ball skills generally. He'll need to work on defense too.....reminds me a little bit of DJ Augustin, but I grade him out better.

All in all.....still pretty darn good and savvy for a frosh.

I think too many people are looking at Russell through Gold colored glasses. The kid is good. Good players get or manufacturer a few calls for themselves. On the bench late I saw a "kid" celebrating with his teammates as it should be. He'll be gone after this year. Frankly, O$U is not very good if he can't play for any reason. Some decent players but no other studs. Definitely not as loades as Matta normally has.

Originally posted by Purdue Grad in Texas:
Originally posted by Heller:
I think he'll do alright, but yeah, there's going to be a learning curve. He won't get to control the ball as much like Paul or Westbrook, but he can shoot and has good ball skills generally. He'll need to work on defense too.....reminds me a little bit of DJ Augustin, but I grade him out better.

All in all.....still pretty darn good and savvy for a frosh.
He's good, no question.

Reasonable guy is right! The creaner really understands how to instill fear in other coaches.... Just Look at what he did to Painter this year!

Originally posted by BoilerDeac:
Augustin is a true PG, and Russell has 5 inches on him. Russell reminds me much more of Harden than anyone.
I can see that.

Speaking of Harden, what would OKC be like if they could have somehow found a way to keep him?

Originally posted by olafmetal:
OSU was playing some extremely aggressive defense when they made their run in the second half. It looked like they got away with a number of slaps, geabs, and arm bars to me. Maybe Purdue coyld use some work on their acting skills to draw attention to that sort of thing or maybe it wouldn't have mattered with those refs.was frustrating anyway. The best part of getting back to the ncaas might be getting to watch some well officiated games.

It was non-stop defense with hands all over the offense. For something they've made a new emphasis on they sure let a ton go.

Originally posted by boilerjrut3:

Originally posted by olafmetal:

It was non-stop defense with hands all over the offense. For something they've made a new emphasis on they sure let a ton go.

You guys sound like a bunch of PeegsStye members whining about Boiler defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT