ADVERTISEMENT

I Think We Can All Agree

Interesting viewpoint, but why then did the SEC and ACC presidents not come to the same cost/benefit about the risks of potential lawsuits?

Because they aren't doubly hypocrites. They knew if it was "safe" to have students on campus then it's all the more safe to play football as members of the football team will be monitored to the extreme degree in comparison to the normal student body.

Here is a leading sports medicine doctor that questions the BT's rationale like most people on this board do.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/leading-sports-doctor-on-big-ten-postponement-i-don-t-understand-

Here are some of our coaches taking pay cuts to help with the athletic department shortfall. We all know this is just the beginning. There will have to be non revenue teams cut and/or job cuts in that department too. Thanks to Commissioner Warren. Have not seen where he is taking a voluntary pay cut yet to help out. Does anyone know how much he makes a year?

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-s-athletic-department-announces-cost-saving-measures

Whoa, so athletes are more at risk than regular Joe's? For the safety of the students, I demand a campus ban on all forms of exercise and for the dining halls to double the supply of pizza.

Good point about regular students. If the OSU study is confirmed, then perhaps regular students will be advised to scale back on extreme exercise during the pandemic. If I were still a student, I wouldn't take a chance - not that I have ever needed an excuse to duck extreme exercise (nor to eat extra pizza...)

Is there not legitimate medical concerns about CTE, head trauma, etc where there isn't a regular connection between football players and regular students in any given year? Why is player safety and health all the sudden this huge deal? As I stated above, I would bet a lot to a little that any college football player playing this fall will have more long term damage due to wear and tear on their bodies than potentially catching COVID.

Let's call a spade a spade here. Big Ten presidents knew that could afford to not have a fall season for one year at the risk of potential lawsuits from COVID. The same university presidents also knew they COULDN'T afford to not have students on campus this fall because that risk far less outweighs the long-term effects from COVID for the college-aged demographic. No students on campus = less tuition dollars which is far more crippling to any university than any lawsuit from a student who is asymptomatic.
So, what do you say about the SEC? Is their plan not a huge money grab? Students on campus and attempting to play football? Use some logic. The coaches going on and on about "needing" to play for the kids is 100% a money grab. Those coaches do not give a d$$n about their players, well, except their star players who will keep their coaches way overpaid for years to come. Try your 2 + 2 = something differnt than 4 logic with your ilk, they will be fawnng all over you for your supposed intelligence.

Reactions: Riveting
So, what do you say about the SEC? Is their plan not a huge money grab? Students on campus and attempting to play football? Use some logic. The coaches going on and on about "needing" to play for the kids is 100% a money grab. Those coaches do not give a d$$n about their players, well, except their star players who will keep their coaches way overpaid for years to come. Try your 2 + 2 = something differnt than 4 logic with your ilk, they will be fawnng all over you for your supposed intelligence.

Of course it's a money grab. But unlike the B10 and P12 presidents, the SEC presidents aren't sitting behind hypocrisy. They know that if they can justify admitting tens and thousands of students on campus in close corridors, they sure as hell can allow 100 some young men who are closely monitored and tested frequently to play football. Not sure how you don't see this?

Reactions: Purdue85
I think our group can agree that Commissioner Warren has done an incredible lousy job (trying to keep it clean here) as his first year as Commissioner. We still don't have any idea, if there is going to be a Spring season. Who knows when that will be announced. Since it looks like the ACC, Big 12, and SEC are going to have Fall football. I think this is going to set the Big Ten back in football in Fall 2021, whether we have football in the Spring or not. The financial impact on athletic budgets, teams, scholarships, and athletic department jobs are not known yet and will take months to play out.

I thought this part of the article summed up my opinion of him too.

Finebaum said. "He could easily teach a course at a university, 'How not to spend your first year as a college commissioner.' We all watched these things over the years. I've never seen one go as poorly as his.

Here is the full article:

https://247sports.com/college/purdu...e-of-what-went-wrong-Paul-Finebaum-150622261/
They should not play football until the fall of 2021 only if they have an approved vaccine

Of course it's a money grab. But unlike the B10 and P12 presidents, the SEC presidents aren't sitting behind hypocrisy. They know that if they can justify admitting tens and thousands of students on campus in close corridors, they sure as hell can allow 100 some young men who are closely monitored and tested frequently to play football. Not sure how you don't see this?
I think we can all agree......................that nobody agrees with anyone else!!! :)

I don't think that's quite apples to apples. The Big Ten/Purdue is not banning the football team from doing any activities. They have practiced, worked out, etc. - that's the equivalent of having kids on campus.

The issue has a lot to do with travel and testing/contact tracing. For example, Purdue is not allowing students to have visitors outside of the "Purdue bubble", nor are University departments. What these schools want to do is minimize the exposure outside of that respective "bubble" (sorry for lack of a better word) - and travel makes that more challenging and also to trace it back.

The testing is another challenge that the conferences playing also have - the testing is not instant. These teams are getting results of tests 2-3 days later last time I saw. So if you're getting results in 48 hours, a test Wednesday morning would come back before a team travels on Friday. And a test administered after a game day would not be available until late Monday/Tuesday - meaning a full day of classes, time with teammates, roommates, etc.

I think the testing is the biggest hurdle. As the Pac 12 said about their agreement with rapid tests later in the fall, it's a game changer as they are cheap and don't have to be shipped off to a lab. You can test everyone before practice, a workout, game, etc. and know before that starts whether they should be sidelined or not.

Overall, I think the "nightmare" scenario for all of these conferences that have postponed fall sports is based on a team traveling, a player coming back to the "campus bubble" and spreading it in their dorms, to teammates, in classes, etc. And it starts an outbreak. Because in theory, the team (gathering of 200+ people for a football game day in different states) would be going against all of these policies the university has in place. It certainly may not happen, but it certainly could. You can come up with theories on every conference - the ACC, for example, is terrified of Clemson/FSU leaving to the SEC so it will probably do everything in its power to keep those schools happy (same with Big 12 and Oklahoma/Texas).

Whatever the Big Ten does I just want to see them have a plan in place that can be executed (i.e. 2 games involving Big 12 teams have already been postponed). If there needs to be time to feel comfortable in eliminating some bumps, so be it. But what's not going to be fun is games being postponed, there being a completely unbalanced schedule, there isn't enough preparation, teams have entire position units depleted, etc. - that's not fun for anyone. If there are things like rapid tests, campuses seem to have the initial student arrival surge under control, etc. -- then let's start as soon as it is feasible.

Not sure why you think there would be thoughts of a conspiracy.

Or, that there's anything ... "weak".

None of what you posted makes sense.

It's entirely rational to question "authority"... no?

If so, I have a novel idea: let's look at the data!

You do realize that PAC-12 and Big10 programs are taking massive financial hits because they aren't playing so being cautious doesn’t exactly help the schools except for the idea that they are worried about potential long term consequences, spread, and potential death.

You do realize that PAC-12 and Big10 programs are taking massive financial hits because they aren't playing so being cautious doesn’t exactly help the schools except for the idea that they are worried about potential long term consequences, spread, and potential death.

The Big Ten has a committee of medical experts with representation from every school. There are multiple Big Ten presidents that are public health experts. But yeah, they didn't look at any data or have an understanding. It's pointless to argue with him.

The Big Ten and Pac 12 obviously felt they weren't there yet - with regards to rapid testing being unavailable, a dozen athletes developing a heart condition, etc. - to push ahead. It doesn't mean it can't change, and it doesn't mean we have to wait until January. We're all operating in unchartered territory.

As I said in another post, no one is playing a normal season, whether the dates say September or not. And the worst thing would be some hodge podge season - for example, 3 Big 12 games this weekend are postponed. That's not fun for anyone. Who knows what some of these early season leagues will encounter - you obviously don't want to see a bunch of postponements or cancellations. Maybe it won't be a big issue. But we don't know. Regardless, no one is playing a traditional season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT