ADVERTISEMENT

I think Purdue and IU fans could agree that these two teams

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
need to have a protected rivalry. I wish all Big teams played home and home, but I know it has expanded too much to do that. I also know that playing a home and home with IU and Purdue probably favors other teams chances more often than not of having a better records in the BIG by not playing Purdue and IU twice some years. Still, we don't have a balanced schedule this year and most in the country as a result do not think the Big standings accurately represent the better teams ordering and don't appear to affect seeding for the other tourney. So why not realize the Big just isn't what it was with the home and home games of the past and put it all on the BTT and let these rivalries play out? Then add Butler to the schedule every year rotating a home and home game with Butler. I hate it that some years Purdue will play Rutgers twice and IU once? I was probably much more furious in missing the first part of the game yesterday than the actual outcome...Kentucky / Texas A&M...really? :)

Completely agree. My question is, does Duke and UNC also have this similar set up in the ACC? Do they go years without playing each other home and home?

To have such a great, historic rivalry only play once a year is ridiculous. On top of that, they're in the same conference. I understand Cuse and Georgetown not being able to do it (although they should do a non-conference home and home), UK and Louisville, etc. But going into this year, we all knew, even with Swanigan, that Purdue and IU were both going to be top 25 teams, or at least hover around there for a majority of the year.

It was such a good game to watch last night, for both fans really. PU shot really well, IU drained 3s and played defense like PU, and wanted the ball more. We rallied at the end to make it look good, but I still think PU would win this game anywhere else not named A-Hall. Biefeldt(?) played an oustanding game, Yogi was great, Troy Williams made some huge hustle plays that we needed to make, and Ted Valentine made sure that people knew he was there, refereeing.

I'm okay with the loss. I hate losing to them, and I wish I could hold PU to a higher standard, but this is what we are. A well built team, that lacks a go-to guard. If we get a guard like Trey Burke (hoping Carsen Edwards becomes that guy), then we can easily be a NC contender next year, even with Hammons/Davis. We're still going to be a tough team when we lose those guys. Maybe even better.

need to have a protected rivalry. I wish all Big teams played home and home, but I know it has expanded too much to do that. I also know that playing a home and home with IU and Purdue probably favors other teams chances more often than not of having a better records in the BIG by not playing Purdue and IU twice some years. Still, we don't have a balanced schedule this year and most in the country as a result do not think the Big standings accurately represent the better teams ordering and don't appear to affect seeding for the other tourney. So why not realize the Big just isn't what it was with the home and home games of the past and put it all on the BTT and let these rivalries play out? Then add Butler to the schedule every year rotating a home and home game with Butler. I hate it that some years Purdue will play Rutgers twice and IU once? I was probably much more furious in missing the first part of the game yesterday than the actual outcome...Kentucky / Texas A&M...really? :)
The Big Ten has somewhat been ruined in this regard. I mean Rutgers in the Big Ten, really? Teams like Maryland, ok, they are at least decent, but it's hard for me to even imagine them in our league, but they are and we have to live with it. Also, Nebraska, a football school, Penn State,,,,ugh,,,,,it's just ruining things and then we don't get to do two games each like it was for a century. The ONLY way to make it fair is for every big ten team to play all teams twice and reduce the pre-conference schedule by several games. I'm not saying reduce it by the exact amount of games that you would have to expand to, it can be more than the exact amount of expansion. You go to 26 games instead of 18. If you are going to expand a conference, don't keep the same number of games you had when you only had 10 teams, that's just ludicrous.
So go to 26 conference games and 4 pre-conference, that's 30 games. If you win it all, you have still only played 36 games, and that's only one team.... most teams are one and done so a total of 31 games. Or you could go 8 pre-conference and the majority of NCAA selected teams would have only played 35. Lots of combinations. Or get rid of Rutgers & Penn State. Indiana has the weakest Big Ten Schedule of all teams this year. it's not fair.

Last edited:
The Big Ten has somewhat been ruined in this regard. I mean Rutgers in the Big Ten, really? Teams like Maryland, ok, they are at least decent, but it's hard for me to even imagine them in our league, but they are and we have to live with it. Also, Nebraska, a football school, Penn State,,,,ugh,,,,,it's just ruining things and then we don't get to do two games each like it was for a century. The ONLY way to make it fair is for every big ten team to play all teams twice and reduce the pre-conference schedule by several games. I'm not saying reduce it by the exact amount of games that you would have to expand to, it can be more than the exact amount of expansion. You go to 26 games instead of 18. If you are going to expand a conference, don't keep the same number of games you had when you only had 10 teams, that's just ludicrous.
So go to 26 conference games and 4 pre-conference, that's 30 games. If you win it all, you have still only played 36 games, and that's only one team.... most teams are one and done so a total of 31 games. Or you could go 8 pre-conference and the majority of NCAA selected teams would have only played 35. Lots of combinations. Or get rid of Rutgers & Penn State. Indiana has the weakest Big Ten Schedule of all teams this year. it's not fair.
Are you a Boilermaker or a whiny baby? Kudos to them, they took advantage of an easy schedule. The season is far from over, I think Iowa will end up beating them in Iowa City and get the title anyway.

There is no need to replay this game. It was completely one sided, until IU let off the gas. Nothing would change no matter where it's played. Hopefully Purdue can get in the NIT where they will see teams closer to their talent level.
douche, do you understand this thread has nothing to do with the game yesterday? This thread has to do with IU and Purdue playing twice and that gives you twice the chance of coming to the GBI forum and "typing" and the adults choosing to do with it what they want. Additionally, the thread that was started listed a desire for Butler being on the schedule every year. Did you intend to post on a different thread?

I'm here to laugh at u pathetic people for backing a piss poor team. Get a new team. You never win anything.

I'm going to "try" to help you if that can be accomplished? You embarrass the IU fans by using a moniker that you are the douche from a Boiler that is an IU fan. What a proud moment for the IU graduates. This misapplication of your moniker, apparently not noticed by yourself, has no doubt generated quite the humor from the Boilers. Just between you and me (and this will be our secret), I would suggest you go back and reinvent yourself with a different moniker...one that doesn't proclaim yourself as the douche from a Boiler. Once you get a new handle, come back and entertain us some more.

Reactions: mathboy
Are you a Boilermaker or a whiny baby? Kudos to them, they took advantage of an easy schedule. The season is far from over, I think Iowa will end up beating them in Iowa City and get the title anyway.
Yes, Iowa will win that game exactly like Indiana played at Michigan State, ugly and weak. They have no answer on the road. We would have beat them by 23 at Mackey. On a different note, don't be so sure that IU won't lose on the road Thursday in Champaign. That's shaping up to be a good ole ambush. IU won't escape the clamps of Maryland either, count them out in that one as well. So bottom line, Michigan State still has a chance to creep ahead of IU in the standings with a lose out and a win out. IOWA = This year's deserv'ed BIG TEN Champs. Purdue will finish higher in the B1G standings than you Debbie Downer's think we will.

go back and reinvent yourself with a different moniker

Yeh, douche, that handle stinks, although it does allow us to call you douche which fits your presence fairly well. Maybe keep it. It doesn't really matter because so many have already ignored you. I suppose those who haven't think you're a funny little moron who can't even set up a troll user ID right.

Purdue had a really weak schedule last year. Was that fair?

Your team knows no championships.

I actually feel sorry for you. Someone who comes over to a rival board, gets banned, and then keeps coming back to spew garbage is truly a sad person. Your actual life must be pretty depressing.

Even my IU buddies (the intelligent alumni ones) admit the rivalry has been dead for awhile now. I know they are worried about coaching in tournament play, they miss threes and turn the ball over and they are done against any decent team.

I attended the game Saturday. It was ANYTHING but dead.
To declare the rivalry over is simply not correct, at least based on Saturday's game.

Even my IU buddies (the intelligent alumni ones) admit the rivalry has been dead for awhile now. I know they are worried about coaching in tournament play, they miss threes and turn the ball over and they are done against any decent team.
The rivalry did die, as they all do when it's one - sided. We were killing IU for years and thus the rivalry died away, Crean single-handedly helped that cause due to his losing ways. Sampson also contributed to that as did Mike Davis and Dan Dakich. IU had the worst assistant coach in the history of assistant coaches.....arrogant Dan Dakich who thought he knew everything, just ask his players...... IU was a total joke for years. They have rebounded a little bit but Purdue still owns them.just look at the all time record... Keady used to dominate Knight also. Knight has respect for those who beat his ass. Reference Knight only going to Keady functions.. He has nothing to do with lowly IU and their miserable cheating program. I'd rather be a clean program like Purdue than a cheating one with titles like Indiana.

They have rebounded a little bit but Purdue still owns them.just look at the all time record...

IU holds the advantage over the past 75 years, which is considerably better than "rebounded a little bit." You have to go all the way back to the Coolidge Administration, and add in those games to get the Purdue advantage.

Or to put it another way: Over your lifetime, your parents lifetime, and probably your grandparents' lifetime, Indiana has the W/L advantage.

How about this? In the years we only play once in basketball, we just hold an extra basketball game in lieu of the football game.

IU holds the advantage over the past 75 years, which is considerably better than "rebounded a little bit." You have to go all the way back to the Coolidge Administration, and add in those games to get the Purdue advantage.

Or to put it another way: Over your lifetime, your parents lifetime, and probably your grandparents' lifetime, Indiana has the W/L advantage.
That is such BS, you need to look at the lifetime of the rivalry. Typical Indiana fan right there mr. LGwalt. Purdue has dominated IU in the past 10 years if you want to go like that, us Purdue fans can spar that way too. Painter has owned IU.

Sweet. If we don't count things that didn't happen in our lifetime then I know many IU fans who need to stop talking about national championships.

That said, your current head coach has a losing record against us.

Sweet. If we don't count things that didn't happen in our lifetime then I know many IU fans who need to stop talking about national championships.

That said, your current head coach has a losing record against us.
IU has been sad against Painter. Matt has out-coached IU no question about it. You can't count those years Purdue was in obvious rebuild-mode.

IU has been sad against Painter. Matt has out-coached IU no question about it. You can't count those years Purdue was in obvious rebuild-mode.

To be fair, if we aren't counting rebuild years in that stretch then you have to ignore about 3 years worth of Purdue wins as well. At the end of the day, you can slice it many different ways. If you look at it this way, Purdue has won more. Another way, IU has won more. That said, when you look at the entire series, Purdue has won far more than IU has.

The rivalry did die, as they all do when it's one - sided. We were killing IU for years and thus the rivalry died away, Crean single-handedly helped that cause due to his losing ways. Sampson also contributed to that as did Mike Davis and Dan Dakich. IU had the worst assistant coach in the history of assistant coaches.....arrogant Dan Dakich who thought he knew everything, just ask his players...... IU was a total joke for years. They have rebounded a little bit but Purdue still owns them.just look at the all time record... Keady used to dominate Knight also. Knight has respect for those who beat his ass. Reference Knight only going to Keady functions.. He has nothing to do with lowly IU and their miserable cheating program. I'd rather be a clean program like Purdue than a cheating one with titles like Indiana.
Badger, I think your assessment of our rival is a little harsh, and a little inaccurate. IU has owned us during the Davis and Sampson eras. They have also been dominant for the pre-Keady era. Yes, Keady is the only BIG coach to have a winning record against Knight. I will give you that.

As for being a rival, I would point to MSU as a more current and more critical rival than IU, but tradition must have some influence. I would also vote for protecting our home-and-away games with IU.

Added: Nobody gets "byes" for rebuilding. All of those various rebuilding years at Purdue and at IU were self-inflicted wounds, so they all count in the record books.

:cool:

Personally I would be in favor of reducing the preseason to get back to playing everyone twice. To me, with the way things currently are, more times than not someone will win the regular season and have an unbalanced and favorable schedule. For me it just cheapens the title.

Reactions: PTPer
Badger, I think your assessment of our rival is a little harsh, and a little inaccurate. IU has owned us during the Davis and Sampson eras. They have also been dominant for the pre-Keady era. Yes, Keady is the only BIG coach to have a winning record against Knight. I will give you that.

As for being a rival, I would point to MSU as a more current and more critical rival than IU, but tradition must have some influence. I would also vote for protecting our home-and-away games with IU.

Added: Nobody gets "byes" for rebuilding. All of those various rebuilding years at Purdue and at IU were self-inflicted wounds, so they all count in the record books.

Better rivalries MSU, Notre Dame, Butler, Michigan
Can't count the rebuilding years.
Oh and "bye" the way, look at the all-time record where both teams were ranked. Come back and let me know what you find, LOL. I realize you are a Purdue fan as well, so you'll like that one.

Reactions: mathboy
Personally I would be in favor of reducing the preseason to get back to playing everyone twice. To me, with the way things currently are, more times than not someone will win the regular season and have an unbalanced and favorable schedule. For me it just cheapens the title.
yes, thanks for agreeing. I know right, we need it to happen.

That is such BS, you need to look at the lifetime of the rivalry. Typical Indiana fan right there mr. LGwalt.

It's not irrelevant to point out that IU has a 4 game advantage since 1930. I'd say an advantage over the past 86 years is a more accurate way of summing up the rivalry than "IU rebounded a little bit." That "rebounded a little bit" has been an 86 year work-in-progress. It's also a more precise way of summing up the current state of the rivalry. When you add in NCAA achievements in the modern era (1939 to present) it also says something else.

It's not irrelevant to point out that IU has a 4 game advantage since 1930. I'd say an advantage over the past 86 years is a more accurate way of summing up the rivalry than "IU rebounded a little bit." That "rebounded a little bit" has been an 86 year work-in-progress. It's also a more precise way of summing up the current state of the rivalry. When you add in NCAA achievements in the modern era (1939 to present) it also says something else.

What's with this arbitrary cut off point? I noticed you made sure to get 1949-1955 included when IU won 13 straight games as if that were somehow far more relevant than 20 years before that when Purdue won 13 of 14.

As I said before, you can slice it many different ways to try to show something. I know this. When you look at the overall series, Purdue has won many more. When you look at just the current coaches, Purdue has won more. Overall - advantage Purdue. Current programs - advantage Purdue.

Compared what it used to be, the rivalry is dead. Just my opinion, some of the more redneck IU fans that have never seen the campus think it is still alive. It will never be what it was, just another conference game now.

While a lot of fans would like that most of the top attendance teams wouldn't. We pay much more to conference foes to play in Mackey than we pay directional Michigan. Or at least that's how it worked. Things may have changed with all the TV money.

I'm going to "try" to help you if that can be accomplished? You embarrass the IU fans by using a moniker that you are the douche from a Boiler that is an IU fan. What a proud moment for the IU graduates. This misapplication of your moniker, apparently not noticed by yourself, has no doubt generated quite the humor from the Boilers. Just between you and me (and this will be our secret), I would suggest you go back and reinvent yourself with a different moniker...one that doesn't proclaim yourself as the douche from a Boiler. Once you get a new handle, come back and entertain us some more.
He is back as Boilerdouch2. Seems like a lot of effort to troll on the Purdue board, especially with as alias. No doubt he is too embarrassed by his own posts to use his regular name here.

He was posting here at 5:00 am Sunday morning, still excited by the basketball game. There are also posts around that time on Peegs by a certain user under a different name. Want to bet they are the same guy?

Reactions: tjreese
How about this? In the years we only play once in basketball, we just hold an extra basketball game in lieu of the football game.

I wish that, the Crossroads Classic format would change to allow for IU and PU to play each other in that venue. It would be huge. Right now, I'm kind of liking the Bucket Game.:D

I wish that, the Crossroads Classic format would change to allow for IU and PU to play each other in that venue. It would be huge. Right now, I'm kind of liking the Bucket Game.:D

You should enjoy the fruits of the Darrell Hazell era. I agree about the CC too. Maybe Butler and ND would agree to play one another in years that IU and Purdue only play once. I wonder if that possibility has been explored already.

You should enjoy the fruits of the Darrell Hazell era. I agree about the CC too. Maybe Butler and ND would agree to play one another in years that IU and Purdue only play once. I wonder if that possibility has been explored already.

What I really like is that the Darrell Hazell era is happening while both my kids are at IU.

I'd love to see a double header of IU/PU and Butler/ND in the Crossroads Classic. That would be a great afternoon of college hoops.

BTW, you were asking about the crowd at the Saturday's game, both of my kids said that the atmosphere was unbelievable. FWIW.

Compared what it used to be, the rivalry is dead. Just my opinion, some of the more redneck IU fans that have never seen the campus think it is still alive. It will never be what it was, just another conference game now.
I agree it isn't the same, but it could be on the way back "IF" a home and home was protected rather than just playing in Indy in the Crossroads. I would love to see Butler on the schedule home and home on the years that Purdue plays ND

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT