ADVERTISEMENT

I really don’t like Illinois going with bielema

You are forgetting Northwestern! I then place minn, Purdue and Nebraska in the next tier and Illinois on the bottom. Barring upsets, Illinois should go 0-6 in the West every year. But we all know upsets do happen! Purdue has pulled a few and also been upset!

to me .. IF Purdue hires a good DC, id rank the programs as far as near future outlook going into next year as follows:

wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Purdue
Minnesota
Nebraska
Illinois
Remember that Nebraska had like 8 senior starters on D

I don't see a Western Conference championship in Illinois' future. he could bring them some respectability and a 6-6 season. he knows what it takes to win in college football. Whether he is able to attract the same type of players to Illinois is questionable. I guess tressel and miles were holding out for that upcoming vacancy.

he's being paid $4.2 million. That sounds about right for an experienced coach. isn't Illinois still on tap to pay Smith?

I'll say it now. i don't like the hire. Sure, he's got experience as a head coach in the BIG 10 and SEC. he has experience and connections in the NFL. his salary is about right for a BIG 10 coach. he seems like a very logical pick. and he's basically what i expected Illinois to hire. but to me, he just doesn't seem to be a coach who will take them to anything more than mediocrity. I really don't see him leading Illinois to anything better than going 6-6 and 7-5. and to me, Smith in a normal season with a smart scheduler could have done that. Throw in a game against SIU, Vandy and Wafe forest, and Lovey could have a 6-6 season. if you're going to fire a guy, his replacement should be one capable of turning the program around and delivering 8-10 win seasons. What i see is a carbon copy of UW with lesser talent, and lesser success.

a good hire. a solid hire. a logical hire. not a great hire.
Lovey Smith sucked. He couldn't recruit in a state he was well known in, he couldn't win with the players he recruited. But Lovey is walking away with a ton of free money just like he did when he ruined my Bears. Bielema will own Chicago recruiting, plus he'll venture into Wisky, Indiana, maybe Missouri, and parts of the south. I'll say it here...he'll do better after a year than Brohm will have done here in six.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Lovey Smith sucked. He couldn't recruit in a state he was well known in, he couldn't win with the players he recruited. But Lovey is walking away with a ton of free money just like he did when he ruined my Bears.

Not sure what the bears have been before or after lovie since I was about 9 years old.

the thing that’s smacking my fellow Chicagoans in the face but the can’t see it. The mccaskeys ruined the bears..and As long as they have any involvement in who the president, GM or coach are.. they will never be anything but a mediocre outfit who puts all their eggs in one basket for a so so season every five years so they can buy themselves five more years of people paying no attention to the morons behind the curtain.

the bears lmao yeah ok...

Not sure what the bears have been before or after lovie since I was about 9 years old.

the thing that’s smacking my fellow Chicagoans in the face but the can’t see it. The mccaskeys ruined the bears..and As long as they have any involvement in who the president, GM or coach are.. they will never be anything but a mediocre outfit who puts all their eggs in one basket for a so so season every five years so they can buy themselves five more years of people paying no attention to the morons behind the curtain.

the bears lmao yeah ok...
I'm a huge Bears fan, and I've suffered through their ownership...can't use the word leadership with them. I've hoped for years they'd sell and get totally out...but alas, they're still there. To think....they could have had Mahomes.

I'm a huge Bears fan, and I've suffered through their ownership...can't use the word leadership with them. I've hoped for years they'd sell and get totally out...but alas, they're still there. To think....they could have had Mahomes.

I’m in your same boat... I don’t believe in rooting for a non hometown team so I’m just sitting it out until they sell the team or hire another football man like finks and get out of his way

I’m in your same boat... I don’t believe in rooting for a non hometown team so I’m just sitting it out until they sell the team or hire another football man like finks and get out of his way
There really is no incentive for ownership of the Bears to put a winner on the field. The same dummies every year will support the team, buy season tickets and the like no matter what.

Bielema will own Chicago recruiting,
Never happen. Too many other schools and coaches with established relationships and pipelines. Bielema has been gone for 8 years and won’t be able to pick right up where he left off.

ND, UW and Purdue are closer to most of that talent than UI is.

Last edited:
There really is no incentive for ownership of the Bears to put a winner on the field. The same dummies every year will support the team, buy season tickets and the like no matter what.

im not planning on ever having just cause to root for the team based on my previous statement. I think the best I can hope for is something like the Cubs before they hired Epstein. Apathy had set in to the point where the Cubs were considered a permanent joke and When the score tried their normal propaganda the phones were either dead or full of people mocking the Cubs and the score

I said to myself “if all I ever get is this current mockery extended for the rest of my life, it’s a win.”

the problem with the bears is that the nfl allows a scenario where you can just trade your draft away for one good season every five years ... I think the mccaskeys can use this to fool the rubes for the rest of my life

Exactly. I wanna be able to go out on a college football Saturday in Chicago and see a statistically appropriate amount of Illini gear for this location and not feel frickin’ embarrassed for wearing Illini apparel ... that’s all. I think BB can do that!
Trust me, been there...and, pretty much there again right now for that matter.

When Brohm arrived, I saw the situation as pretty much hopeless at Purdue...I was thrilled that they were just functional and prepared, with some sort of game plan on both sides of the ball that they at least attempted to execute...which was more than enough to make me happy at the time. Illinois' situation is not near as bleak as Purdue's was, and, Bielema has a ton of familiarity with the conference, and, has recruited the state of Illinois before as well...he will hit the ground running at least, which is more than what Brohm had in his favor when he arrived.

Never happen. Too many other schools and coaches with established relationships and pipelines. Bielema has been gone for 8 years and won’t be able to pick right up here he left off.

ND, UW and Purdue are closer to most of that talent than UI is.
He won't own Chicago, I agree with you there...and I don't ever see him moving ahead of ND, but, he will compete with UW...probably sooner than later, and, Purdue is not going to be much of a factor I don't think. He will have much more of a presence for certain than Lovie did, and, it will be a focus of his.

to me .. IF Purdue hires a good DC, id rank the programs as far as near future outlook going into next year as follows:

wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa
Purdue
Minnesota
Nebraska
Illinois
Remember that Nebraska had like 8 senior starters on D

Your post gave me an idea/thought. I would put the teams in tiers. Each team is capable of beating any team in their own tier and 1 tier higher and should always beat the teams 1 tier lower So purdue could beat a team in tier 2, all of the teams in tier 3, and should always beat the teams in tier 4. and yes, according to my rankings, I believe IU got very lucky this year and do not expect their continued success against teams like UW, Mich and penn state, but hey, it was a nice season.

I'll repeat, a team could beat a team 1 tier higher. should be able to beat any team in its own tier, and should always be able to beat teams a tier lower. I don't expect purdue to be able to beat UW, Mich, OSU or penn state. i believe they could beat iowa, NW and MSU. they should be able to beat Neb, IU, Minn and they should always beat Rutgers, maryland and Illinois.

tier 1 :
UW

Tier 2; in no specific order
Iowa
Northwestern

Tier 3: in no specific order
Purdue
Minn
Nebraska

tier 4
Illinois

other side

tier 1
OSU
Michigan
penn st

Tier 2:
MSU

Tier 3
IU

Tier 4
Maryland
Rutgers

I'll repeat, UW has a great pipeline for Chicago and Illinois talent. but that pipeline existed long before Bilema was their coach. He may try to tap onto that pipeline, but I highly doubt he'll be very successful and those players UW recruited in the past will still go to UW. bilema is more likely to recruit the same Illinois players Purdue recruits. Basically the second tier. I will be shocked if bilema is able to land the best players in Illinois. I also believe most elite players will take the tried and proven approach. basically, before committing to illinois, they will want to see wins first rather than being pathfinders. Success breeds future success.

Your post gave me an idea/thought. I would put the teams in tiers. Each team is capable of beating any team in their own tier and 1 tier higher and should always beat the teams 1 tier lower So purdue could beat a team in tier 2, all of the teams in tier 3, and should always beat the teams in tier 4. and yes, according to my rankings, I believe IU got very lucky this year and do not expect their continued success against teams like UW, Mich and penn state, but hey, it was a nice season.

I'll repeat, a team could beat a team 1 tier higher. should be able to beat any team in its own tier, and should always be able to beat teams a tier lower. I don't expect purdue to be able to beat UW, Mich, OSU or penn state. i believe they could beat iowa, NW and MSU. they should be able to beat Neb, IU, Minn and they should always beat Rutgers, maryland and Illinois.

tier 1 :
UW

Tier 2; in no specific order
Iowa
Northwestern

Tier 3: in no specific order
Purdue
Minn
Nebraska

tier 4
Illinois

other side

tier 1
OSU
Michigan
penn st

Tier 2:
MSU

Tier 3
IU

Tier 4
Maryland
Rutgers

drop Nebraska into Illinois tier

Wisconsin is a well oiled machine built for any coach to be successful right now. Bielema left for Arkansas and proceeded to stink it up after petrino had actually built something decent there. Doubt he's any better than lovie if at all. Should have went with a coach that's more pass oriented.

Reactions: wakeman2626
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT