ADVERTISEMENT

I got two questions

PurdueDave

True Freshman
Jan 22, 2005
After Smith made his last big 3 pointer, he made a gesture with his arm. I'm old....what does it mean?

I know nobody can really answer this, but why did AZ abandon the zone? PU couldn't do anything against it. AZ switched to man and boom, PU is up by 10.

I’ll never be confused with a BB coach or strategist , but IMO we did a much better job down the stretch of taking care of the ball, and picking our spots to attack the rim ….

Smith was spectacular on offense and Edey totally took away ANYTHING that AZ attempted in the paint.

This was a TOTAL team win!

I think the zone slowed down the offense and AZ couldn't afford the time. I also think Purdue started to figure out how to break it with the inside/outside game.
if you count the reversed goal tend call, Zack missed 4 straight turn around 8 fters against it

After Smith made his last big 3 pointer, he made a gesture with his arm. I'm old....what does it mean?

I know nobody can really answer this, but why did AZ abandon the zone? PU couldn't do anything against it. AZ switched to man and boom, PU is up by 10.
So, I would have to see the game again to get the particulars. First AZ played a 2-3 zone and Purdue scored easy against it. Then they matched Purdue's 3 out with a 3-2 match-up zone it appeared to be. Later I couldn't tell is the communication was bad for AZ to tell if it was still matchup 3-2 look or 3-2 zone. Sometimes players screw up or the offense doesn't move to tell what kind of defense is going on. They may hav been switching 3-2 zone and 3-2 match-up. For the most part after the first attack by Purdue they had a player on the other players matching up with them, but once I think they either got lost or went to straight 3-2. The biggest problem was the ball handling by players not named Braden or Fletcher. Zach was not getting deep enough and settled for about 4 or 5 missed shots where he was too far out. I'm guessing he tired since that was a very fast paced game.

Off the top of my head Zach threw it away 4 times that went for run outs. I have no idea how many scored. Heide fumbled it, but think he got it back not resulting in a basket for AZ. Caleb then lost the ball on a scrape coming from the backside. Also, Ethan was left open in the zone and once I believe his man fronted Zach with Ballo behind and the D still on Fletch. Earlier the D on Fletch would "incorrectly dig down on the ball (turn his back to the offensive player) and Zach kicked it bac out for a 3 ball by Fletch.

Bring Myles along...he isn't ready yet. Lost his man that resulted in 6 points. Cam needs more success as well as his loses his aggressiveness against the Big Boys. Plenty of time for those two. I'm guessing AZ scored at least 12 points on the weakside lob. Once it was pointed out by Robbie that Lance has to get in there, but maybe lance's man was one to not help off....and lance is small to defend a lob.

Like Matt said, the D can improve..."still"...

Reactions: Zaphod_B

They’re dead. Start the embalming. No?

Reactions: PurdueDave
I think the zone slowed down the offense and AZ couldn't afford the time. I also think Purdue started to figure out how to break it with the inside/outside game.
Zach’s quick kick outs to Braden, who nailed the three —was lethal to AZ’s zone…

That action looked like something ZE and BS practice over and over and over again….

Zach’s quick kick outs to Braden, who nailed the three —was lethal to AZ’s zone…

That action looked like something ZE and BS practice over and over and over again….
I thought they were playing man at that point?

I thought they were playing man at that point?
not knowing which 3 or the time of it a match up zone ...matches up with the players and you attack it as if it were man...since basically that is what it is. The match-up "tries" to play man against people in the areas of the court they are better defenders. Switching can also accomplish this when switching five ways and a lot in switching 4 ways. So if Purdue has 3 out the match up matches them and switches defending different players as they leave their area and get picked up by another in their area. You like a lot of lane crossing and such hopeful the handoffs get messed up, but it does eat some clock. I just think the Bigs turned it over and Zach needed to get lower. Anyway, it may have been man or a match-up that tried to keep the defender in their best area to defend, but still defending a man..

not knowing which 3 or the time of it a match up zone ...matches up with the players and you attack it as if it were man...since basically that is what it is. The match-up "tries" to play man against people in the areas of the court they are better defenders. Switching can also accomplish this when switching five ways and a lot in switching 4 ways. So if Purdue has 3 out the match up matches them and switches defending different players as they leave their area and get picked up by another in their area. You like a lot of lane crossing and such hopeful the handoffs get messed up, but it does eat some clock. I just think the Bigs turned it over and Zach needed to get lower. Anyway, it may have been man or a match-up that tried to keep the defender in their best area to defend, but still defending a man..
I must cconfess that I don’t pay a lot of attention to what D the other team is playing. In fact, I only noticed it after the announcers mentioned zone.

I must cconfess that I don’t pay a lot of attention to what D the other team is playing. In fact, I only noticed it after the announcers mentioned zone.
it is easy to miss and sometimes the offense makes it hard to see. if you see people in an area giving the look of a zone and then everyone has a defender next to them if the player is an offensive threat, then you know it is match-up. A pure zone just defends the area and similar to a match up but many times they are not as tight and then you will see teams attack gaps or overload the zone (put more offensive players where there are not enough defenders). The absolute easiest way to tell is while the offense is crossing half court a defender up top will point to the player he is taking for everyone to match up. Again, the D misses handoffs or the Offense gets stagnant and you may not tell which is which, but if you see the zone morph to the offense then it is usually a match up, but could be a player still playing man and the rest of the team in a zone...

try to catch the first 3 minutes so you can see how it could be difficult to distinguish due to the offense as well.

So, I would have to see the game again to get the particulars. First AZ played a 2-3 zone and Purdue scored easy against it. Then they matched Purdue's 3 out with a 3-2 match-up zone it appeared to be. Later I couldn't tell is the communication was bad for AZ to tell if it was still matchup 3-2 look or 3-2 zone. Sometimes players screw up or the offense doesn't move to tell what kind of defense is going on. They may hav been switching 3-2 zone and 3-2 match-up. For the most part after the first attack by Purdue they had a player on the other players matching up with them, but once I think they either got lost or went to straight 3-2. The biggest problem was the ball handling by players not named Braden or Fletcher. Zach was not getting deep enough and settled for about 4 or 5 missed shots where he was too far out. I'm guessing he tired since that was a very fast paced game.

Off the top of my head Zach threw it away 4 times that went for run outs. I have no idea how many scored. Heide fumbled it, but think he got it back not resulting in a basket for AZ. Caleb then lost the ball on a scrape coming from the backside. Also, Ethan was left open in the zone and once I believe his man fronted Zach with Ballo behind and the D still on Fletch. Earlier the D on Fletch would "incorrectly dig down on the ball (turn his back to the offensive player) and Zach kicked it bac out for a 3 ball by Fletch.

Bring Myles along...he isn't ready yet. Lost his man that resulted in 6 points. Cam needs more success as well as his loses his aggressiveness against the Big Boys. Plenty of time for those two. I'm guessing AZ scored at least 12 points on the weakside lob. Once it was pointed out by Robbie that Lance has to get in there, but maybe lance's man was one to not help off....and lance is small to defend a lob.

Like Matt said, the D can improve..."still"...
I thought painter said they came out and players the 2-3 in the second half for the first time all season?

I thought painter said they came out and players the 2-3 in the second half for the first time all season?
He did. He said that and the first possession after half when they showed zone it was 2-3 and Purdue scored. It looked like to me they matched up with the Purdue players after that, but again...if Purdue thinks it is a zone they may not move as much and sometimes it gets blurred. In a pure 2-3 zone (few teams play a pure zone like you may see in high school or years ago). In a pure zone you have an area more than a player. Different people will play it different, but they shift on the ball and will not cover a man as much typically, but an area...more stationary if that makes sense. Later AZ showed a 3-2 (3 on top 2 low) and even Robbie said 2-3. After the first pass about all pure zones look the same whether starting out in a 1-2-2 or a 2-3 or a 3-2 or a 1-3-1 or some very few 1-1-3 and some show 1-1-3 which is really a 2-3 with the top 2 in tandem and with the right big agile defender a 3-2 that morphs into a 2-3 by dropping the middle of the 3 in a 3-2 to a 2-3...but all pure zones defend an area more so than the man. You can take a zone and do about everything a man does and you can take a man and do about everything a zone does and a match-up tries to gain the advantage of a perimeter player defending the perimeter and a big defending a big. Switching can pretty much duplicate that other than you will at times see Braden down low on a big due to switching.

I would need to watch again, because I was just watching the game rather than trying to really understand what was going on and even then if the offense is stagnant it can be really hard to differentiate. It just seemed that they matched up with the top 3 closer than a pure zone would and most teams actually want that man coverage in a zone and use a match-up. Against a pure zone you can always get an open look and why most teams play man or match-up secondary.

Had we seen Fletcher or Braden cut without the ball through the lane and saw a player follow then we would know it wasn't pure zone. Had the player on the perimeter followed Fletcher without the ball into the lane and then "handed off Fletcher" to a big in the lane and then tried to find the other player on the perimeter we would know it was match-up. If the player followed Fletcher through the lane and out on the baseline, then it would be man. If the players don't force a handoff or a complete follow by moving without the ball, then we were not able to see enough to know for certain.

I thought he was referring to a "shot in the arm" but "ice in his veins" works too
I’m old and had to look it up but appears to be something deangelo Russel started doing in clutch plays going back to 2016 and then became a TikTok thing. I saw Jones do once too with a bit more swagger.

I think he meant the arm band is too tight and wanted to use a scissor to cut it apart.

Third Question - Purdue beat the #1 team.....no court rushing? Haha.

Exactly......always look eye, Boiler-son.

ff0d27d5d757b5619f4cef3522e58765.gif

Crazy to think one would ever say “slow down the offense” for Purdue. Last year it seemed we were so slow and took almost all the time off the shot clock…and this year we are playing at such a quicker pace (or at least showing we can). Hope we can play with this type of tempo in conference play and not fall back into typical slow, B1G football style games!

Reactions: Dryfly88
Crazy to think one would ever say “slow down the offense” for Purdue. Last year it seemed we were so slow and took almost all the time off the shot clock…and this year we are playing at such a quicker pace (or at least showing we can). Hope we can play with this type of tempo in conference play and not fall back into typical slow, B1G football style games!
It's the difference between freshmen guards and experienced sophomore guards. The freshman to sophomore leap..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT