ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetically: After Brohm

Mar 18, 2012
If Brohm were to have left, or does leave in the near future, do we pursue Sumlin? I think that in our current state we are a welcome destination for him, especially as we continue to progress. My question is more is he still someone fans would like to see hired/ someone worthy of pursuing

I agree with Hunk on this one. I think it's time to move on from the "What if/when Brohm leaves" posts and be happy with the future we currently have.
yeah, me too, still played out from all the drama from a few weeks ago.

Let’s enjoy a great recruiting class and the start of Spring practice in the near future. We can revisit this talk in the Fall when we have a monster year this year and this will be the topic of choice then.

I think Brohm is a man of his word and he would have told Bell and Karlaftis that he would be their coach through college, so I think Brohm will be with us for at least 3 to 4 years more years, if not longer.

Reactions: er5reni
Unless his goal is the NFL, I can see no reason for him to leave Purdue where he can become a coaching legend as he is quickly becoming.

If Brohm were to have left, or does leave in the near future, do we pursue Sumlin? I think that in our current state we are a welcome destination for him, especially as we continue to progress. My question is more is he still someone fans would like to see hired/ someone worthy of pursuing
I think the real issue is by that time Sumlin will be collecting SS and probably won't be looking for a coaching gig.

Unless his goal is the NFL, I can see no reason for him to leave Purdue where he can become a coaching legend as he is quickly becoming.
I could still see him coaching sometime at UL in the future, if the opportunity and timing presented itself. His family is very tight, and his parents really pushed for him to come “home”. Lucky for us. He felt he still had a lot to accomplish at Purdue.

I just can't see the love for Sumlin!

When Brohm leaves, I believe Purdue will replace him with somebody similar or with somebody from his staff - maybe his brother.

Reactions: BeerbellyBoiler

I think it’s a totally legitimate question. If Brohm continues to have success here he will leave at some point, whether for a true blue blood program (Notre Dame?) or the NFL. I’d dont think he’s in any hurry to leave and hopefully that’s 5+ years from now, but it’s a reality.

Regarding Sumlin, I don’t see that happening. If Sumlin does well at Arizona I don’t see him leaving to come to Purdue and if he doesn’t do well at Arizona I don’t think Purdue would target him.

I think it’s a totally legitimate question. If Brohm continues to have success here he will leave at some point, whether for a true blue blood program (Notre Dame?) or the NFL. I’d dont think he’s in any hurry to leave and hopefully that’s 5+ years from now, but it’s a reality.

Regarding Sumlin, I don’t see that happening. If Sumlin does well at Arizona I don’t see him leaving to come to Purdue and if he doesn’t do well at Arizona I don’t think Purdue would target him.

I have mixed feelings on Sumlin. I actually think he could come here and basically do the same thing he did At TAMU...win 7-8 games every year. That said, for how he recruited (generally well, Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen both came to TAMU at the same time) his teams results on the field were disappointing. I think that he could recruit well here and do decently well.

Evidently he has some drinking issues and other issues he hasn't seemed to get a hold of at this point.

I think we can all agree though that Texas, even in 2019 isn't the friendliest place for an African American to coach. It's a sad point....and I think a lot of the racism that was drummed up against him was other fan bases....but as long as your coach is black in that state they are going to get attacked for it by the small but very vocal minority. Whereas I never heard any racial attacks on Hazell in his 4 awful years here. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but I think it goes to show you're not under a microscope as intensely here as you would be at a higher profile school.

I have mixed feelings on Sumlin. I actually think he could come here and basically do the same thing he did At TAMU...win 7-8 games every year. That said, for how he recruited (generally well, Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen both came to TAMU at the same time) his teams results on the field were disappointing. I think that he could recruit well here and do decently well.

Evidently he has some drinking issues and other issues he hasn't seemed to get a hold of at this point.

I think we can all agree though that Texas, even in 2019 isn't the friendliest place for an African American to coach. It's a sad point....and I think a lot of the racism that was drummed up against him was other fan bases....but as long as your coach is black in that state they are going to get attacked for it by the small but very vocal minority. Whereas I never heard any racial attacks on Hazell in his 4 awful years here.

Mixed feelings on my end as well. Expectations at A&M were unrealistic. He should be able to win at Arizona. Pac10 is not a strong conference right now with USC and Oregon being down and at Az he can recruit both Tx and Ca.

I think that ship has sailed.

Reactions: Bob Sienicki
five years from now brohm ay leave. he will either succeed expectations and find a bigger gig, or he will continue to put up .500 numbers and the alumni be expecting more and will want a coach to take us to a higher level.

however, that will be 5+ years from now. By that time, Sumlin will be 5 years older. he'll either be a success and not interested in coming to Purdue. or he'll be a failure and Purdue will no longer be interested. I suspect in 5 years, Sumlin will be a lot like Les Miles nd Jack Akers.. there will be some schools interested in him. but I doubt Purdue will be. I suspect Purdue will go bac k to their young coach hiring strategy.

I have no doubt Brohm's name will come up every year he's coaching at purdue as the writers love to speculate, and purdue always seems to be a place that doesn't garner a lot of respect from the media as a great destination for coaches. Now that Louisville has made a hire, I highly doubt brohm will seriously consider leaving purdue unless it's for a recruiting trip or to help coach the senior bowl.

I don't think Brohm will ever be interested in taking over an elite college program. He is not wired that way. He is not looking for a college football Easy Button. If he was, he would have left for UTenn last year.

And if Brohm eventually ends up going to the NFL, it will likely be to a program that is...
a) not too far from his home in Louisville (think Colts or Titans), and
b) not a traditional NFL power, and is in need of a total rebuild.
The Colts appear to be on the upswing, and the Titans are likely not going to be in rebuild mode anytime soon.

Once Brohm builds Purdue into an annual B1G West power - and he will - he may just decide to finally buy a new car and enjoy the ride for a few seasons.

He doesn't hit me as someone who is in any hurry to climb up the career ladder. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be in West Lafayette for several years yet.

JMHOAU

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I don't think Brohm will ever be interested in taking over an elite college program. He is not wired that way. He is not looking for a college football Easy Button. If he was, he would have left for UTenn last year.

And if Brohm eventually ends up going to the NFL, it will likely be to a program that is...
a) not too far from his home in Louisville (think Colts or Titans), and
b) not a traditional NFL power, and is in need of a total rebuild.
The Colts appear to be on the upswing, and the Titans are likely not going to be in rebuild mode anytime soon.

Once Brohm builds Purdue into an annual B1G West power - and he will - he may just decide to finally buy a new car and enjoy the ride for a few seasons.

He doesn't hit me as someone who is in any hurry to climb up the career ladder. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be in West Lafayette for several years yet.

JMHOAU

I respect your opinion but disagree regarding Brohm's ambitions. He's shown that he has a sense of loyalty and wanting to finish what he started, but ultimately I believe he wants to win championships at the highest level, i.e. National Championships, and that's just very difficult at Purdue relative to an elite program.

The Tennessee job is in no way wired to the Easy Button. They have great resources relative to Purdue, but expectations there are signficantly out of line with the reality of their situation and as long as Saban is at Alabama it's going to be tough going for other teams that expect to win SEC championships.

I think he'd have a hard time saying no to the Notre Dame job if Kelly left. If Day doesn't work out at tOSU and Brohm is wins a West title in the meantime I'd think he'd be high on their list. UM and PSU would be tough jobs to turn down. These are elite jobs, I agree that he's not likely to leave for less in CFB. With respect to pro jobs, I know that family is extremely important to him, but I'd expect that going to an organization that he believes is committed to winning and has the resources to do so would be more important.

These are good problems to have for Purdue. Hopefully Coach Brohm continues to drive improvement so that he stays on other teams' watch lists.

I respect your opinion but disagree regarding Brohm's ambitions. He's shown that he has a sense of loyalty and wanting to finish what he started, but ultimately I believe he wants to win championships at the highest level, i.e. National Championships, and that's just very difficult at Purdue relative to an elite program.

The Tennessee job is in no way wired to the Easy Button. They have great resources relative to Purdue, but expectations there are signficantly out of line with the reality of their situation and as long as Saban is at Alabama it's going to be tough going for other teams that expect to win SEC championships.

I think he'd have a hard time saying no to the Notre Dame job if Kelly left. If Day doesn't work out at tOSU and Brohm is wins a West title in the meantime I'd think he'd be high on their list. UM and PSU would be tough jobs to turn down. These are elite jobs, I agree that he's not likely to leave for less in CFB. With respect to pro jobs, I know that family is extremely important to him, but I'd expect that going to an organization that he believes is committed to winning and has the resources to do so would be more important.

These are good problems to have for Purdue. Hopefully Coach Brohm continues to drive improvement so that he stays on other teams' watch lists.

I live in Tennessee and have two stepchildren in the UT Marching Band. There is no way is the job "wired to the easy button" with Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M, and the rest of the SEC. They have serious resources that Purdue can't counter, such as having 107,000 seats.

Reactions: northside100

Tennessee athletics just reported a deficit of more than $7 million for last year. They had expenses of $150 million and income of $143 million. They paid buyouts of more than $13 million to their departed AD and football coach.

Tennessee athletics just reported a deficit of more than $7 million for last year. They had expenses of $150 million and income of $143 million. They paid buyouts of more than $13 million to their departed AD and football coach.

It would be interesting to know what the swing in revenue a school like TN would expect to gain by going from where they are now to being a consistent 10+ game winner.

I think the UL talk in the future would have a slim chance of occurring and slim just squealed his tires on the way out of town!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT