ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetical because I don't think it will happen, but what if Purdue wins 3 more

3 more wins and a bowl appearance does Parker get the HC job

• Yes

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • I want someone with a really big name and a proven track record

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
under Parker. Do you give him a shot after taking Purdue to a bowl game?

And what if the team beats IU for that sixth win....does that make it more positive to give him his shot?

The AD must have seen something in him to appoint him and not the other guys on staff.

I would certainly consider it and would fully understand if they did give him the job then. My biggest concern with him is whether he can pull in better recruits as I believe he was doing recruiting under Hazell and not exactly pulling in highly ranked players.

I would prefer someone else, but don't want someone with a really big name because that would imply someone like Miles who wouldn't be available at all if he was able to adapt a little, and if it wouldn't work with the recruits at the level he was getting, it sure as hell not going to work at Purdue.

It's odd to not want a "big name" because one of the guys you don't want has a big name.

I think that for Parker to get the job, he has to win out. If he beats NW, IU, and Minnesota, great... but that's not exactly the bar we want to set at Purdue. That's Hope level.

That said, obviously I hope they win out.

I think the more interesting question is if he wins a couple games, will he stay on the staff? I assumed Freeman would be the interim head coach, but I do like what I've seen out of Parker so far.

I would certainly consider it and would fully understand if they did give him the job then. My biggest concern with him is whether he can pull in better recruits as I believe he was doing recruiting under Hazell and not exactly pulling in highly ranked players.

I would prefer someone else, but don't want someone with a really big name because that would imply someone like Miles who wouldn't be available at all if he was able to adapt a little, and if it wouldn't work with the recruits at the level he was getting, it sure as hell not going to work at Purdue.
How much was his recruiting success impacted by the head stiff???

It's odd to not want a "big name" because one of the guys you don't want has a big name.

I can't think of a big name other than Miles that doesn't have a P5 job and no one with a P5 job is going to make the lateral or step down move to Purdue. Even a Leach isn't coming here to rebuild after WSU, he's got them rolling now and why would you want to start over again for a similar level job.

So if you want to turn things around and actually climb out of the basement, an up and comer or coordinator is pretty much what you have to go with at this point.

Reactions: FearTheTrain
How much was his recruiting success impacted by the head stiff???

That I don't know. Just seems some people are able to recruit well inspite of the head coach and those types move up the ladder quickly to bigger programs. The fact that he hasn't makes me wonder if he can recruit at a higher level or if Hazell was that big of a turn off, but not sure I like the gamble to find out.

If Purdue wins 3 more games, that's likely to draw some sort of media attention to Parker, especially since every win from here on out would be a good win. I would definitely think you would have to consider him for the job, especially if winning those games puts more people in the seats and he has support of the fan base. Not to mention the continuity of Blough not having to learn a new system under a new coach next year.

Having said that, it won't happen...

I can't think of a big name other than Miles that doesn't have a P5 job and no one with a P5 job is going to make the lateral or step down move to Purdue. Even a Leach isn't coming here to rebuild after WSU, he's got them rolling now and why would you want to start over again for a similar level job.

So if you want to turn things around and actually climb out of the basement, an up and comer or coordinator is pretty much what you have to go with at this point.
Purdue is planning a $60 million football training / practice facility upgrade, and the new AD and others have stated that there will be a lot more money for the next coach and his staff. Burke was always about the dollar, and he did a good job protecting that part of the equation...Athletic Department has been in the black. With a larger salary, and new facilities, now is the perfect time for PU to step up the coaching ladder and bring in someone WITH A PROVEN RECORD at a P5 university.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Hard to say to be honest. I don't think Hazell was a big impact on the recruiting trail beyond that of the overall strategy so the guys on this roster are in a way, Parker's. Now that being said, there are two big things that are hard to figure with Parker. A) If Parker is the HC, what does this roster look like as far as the overall identity of the team. For all we know Parker could have recruited different or possibly better players in a different team culture. B) Are these actually the best player's he could get if he was the HC because if that's the case, than no we need a higher level recruiter at the HC position to make up for all gaps in recruiting that have existed since Tiller's final years. My other concern with Parker being HC is whether he has the connections to bring in a high quality staff to help him.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
No sir - nothing against him but ... since he was recruiting lead and that has been a major issue for us, we need to look elsewhere.
Keeping him as a position coach under the new HC would be a possibility - but up to the new HC

Recruiting is the life blood for any program. I have several friends that live close to me and they were surprised that the 2 linemen in the Carmel area went to IU and another one at Carmel is committed to IU. I asked the parents of one of the present IU players why. They said there son wanted to go to PU as his father is a PU supporter but DH did not offer until his son committed to IU. They also stated the other player's parents had the same concern and experience. If you follow the Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Michigan, model we might be able to keep the best from going out of state. Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania programs have had success over many years with a lot of home grown players. Minnesota seems to be on the rise. Tiller stated in his first years that out of each recruiting class you will find 35% of the class will be able to help your program compete. I hope the new coach or present interim is in tune with the need to establish home grown players as a base for solid program and fondness for PU. WE NEED TO WATCH THE RESULTS OVER THE NEXT 5 GAMES. It might do us a lot of good to wait. The Clemson program has really come since their INTERIM was given to job. HOPE FOR THE BEST.......GO BOLIERS

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
RECRUIT CHICAGOLAND! Good Grief, what does Iowa or Wisconsin or Illinois have that we don't? Sell 'em on our outstanding computer science program. "Son, in twenty years you won't be playing football. Wanna be a corn farmer or a computer scientist?"

Plus Purdue is one of the very few Div 1 football schools where a kid can become a commercial pilot and there is no 5-yr service commitment like at the AFA. Recruit 'em with that pitch.

I hope this happens. May show potential coaches that there is some talent here to work with.

I then hoped Gerad swings himself a nice OC position at a P5 school or a HC MAC job

RECRUIT CHICAGOLAND! Good Grief, what does Iowa or Wisconsin or Illinois have that we don't? Sell 'em on our outstanding computer science program. "Son, in twenty years you won't be playing football. Wanna be a corn farmer or a computer scientist?"

Plus Purdue is one of the very few Div 1 football schools where a kid can become a commercial pilot and there is no 5-yr service commitment like at the AFA. Recruit 'em with that pitch.
Don't knock that corn farmer too much. Purdue graduates a lot of 'em and they make a lot of money.

Then you sign Parker to a 2 year deal for minimal money and see what he can do with these kids. Fully understand he's young and has no experience but I like his style and enthusiasm. If he gets this group to a bowl game, which I don't think he will, he deserves the opportunity in my view. If it goes as I expect it to I hope the new HC will keep him around. I think his future is bright and I love the fact that MBob saw that in him. #BTFU

Regardless of the rest of the season - Purdue needs to clean house. It sucks for those on the current staff but that is the life of a college football coach - and they signed up for it. They are all well compensated so I don't feel terribly bad for them. It's business.

We have a new AD. The new FB coach should bring in his own staff - all the way down to the strength coaches. I would get rid of every single coach or trainer associated with Hazzell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT