ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter answered the challenge

I'll repeat what I wrote earlier in response to someone ragging on him:

This young man is going to develop into an outstanding player for the Boilers before he's done. Sure, he'll have ups and downs, but he has the physique, the attitude and the desire to be a true Boilermaker!

#boilerup #letsplayfootball #tylerstrong

This young man is going to develop into an outstanding player for the Boilers before he's done. Sure, he'll have ups and downs, but he has the physique, the attitude and the desire to be a true Boilermaker!

People expect that every player coming in are going to start out as all world. It takes more time for certain players. We have to be patient. He had a good game, and he is going to be a very good player for us.

We saw what he could do tonight and he sure looks like the real deal with a little more seasoning. Hopefully this was his coming out party.

He sure did. He outplayed Eastern tonight. The team made two great runs with him on the floor. Happy for him and the team.

My favorite combo on this team is Eastern and Williams. They have a good feel and read for each other and it has lead to some really nice moves/dunks. Eastern’s game needs a low post threat, somebody to get the ball to when he drives. And when Williams put his back to the basket and backed his man down, Eastern’s defender helped and Eastern moved to the hoop for the easy dunk. We need much more of that. Hunter would be best served taking Cline’s minutes. Yes, Cline went nuts from 3, but he always seems to inflate his numbers against inferior opponents at home. Eastern needs the ball in his hands more, he is not a good fit for the move the ball around the perimeter until you find an open shooter offense. When he takes it to the rack, he gets results. When he has a true post presence, it’s even better.

Reactions: TX4GB and mille736
My favorite combo on this team is Eastern and Williams. They have a good feel and read for each other and it has lead to some really nice moves/dunks. Eastern’s game needs a low post threat, somebody to get the ball to when he drives. And when Williams put his back to the basket and backed his man down, Eastern’s defender helped and Eastern moved to the hoop for the easy dunk. We need much more of that. Hunter would be best served taking Cline’s minutes. Yes, Cline went nuts from 3, but he always seems to inflate his numbers against inferior opponents at home. Eastern needs the ball in his hands more, he is not a good fit for the move the ball around the perimeter until you find an open shooter offense. When he takes it to the rack, he gets results. When he has a true post presence, it’s even better.
I thought the ball movement and fast tempo was great last night when Hunter was in the game during those run spurts. It certainly looked like a different Purdue team then I've seen in decades. This style of basketball would help recruiting immensely.

I thought the ball movement and fast tempo was great last night when Hunter was in the game during those run spurts. It certainly looked like a different Purdue team then I've seen in decades. This style of basketball would help recruiting immensely.

Yep. If we could just schedule midmajor teams at home for the rest of the season, I am sure that would fix all the problems. All jokes aside, I hope we build on it.

We have a nice core of young guys; Hunter; Sasha; wheeler and Tre. ED is unknown however has the look physically.
Pair them with Newman and Thompson and it will be a team that should compete at a high level in 2-3 years. Just need to salvage this season and bridge into next.
They will play hard. That is what Purdue players do. However, compared to other teams, the overall talent level is not there. Plus Coach Painter. I just don’t see any chance of at least an Elite 8 appearance, let alone a Final 4 in the near future with this group plus Newman’s class.

They will play hard. That is what Purdue players do. However, compared to other teams, the overall talent level is not there. Plus Coach Painter. I just don’t see any chance of at least an Elite 8 appearance, let alone a Final 4 in the near future with this group plus Newman’s class.

Who knows if they will get to an elite 8 or a final four, but this is a bad take. Williams and Hunter have shown some really nice things as true freshmen. Wheeler has an athleticism and size that Purdue hasn’t had in forever. And Newman is playing like one of the best players in the country. Not to mention IT is an elite scorer/leader/good decision maker. The overall athleticism will be much better on this team going forward than the 14 class, and that young core will play a lot of games together. That first year the ‘14 class got here, I am sure there was a lot of doom and gloom as well. They one a Big championship and went to 2 sweet 16s.

IT, Hunter, Newman, Wheeler, and Williams will win a looooooooot of games. That doesn’t even take into account Sasha, ED (which we haven’t seen yet), and Nojel (who still has 2 more years).

Is Painter struggling with this team? Yes. He has been incredibly slow to adjusting the lineup and stubborn in his ways (how he teaches defense to this particular roster and who gets minutes when). Has he missed on elite recruits the past two years? Yes. But he has some really good young players. I think Hall (amongst others) would have been the perfect piece, but he got snagged away. But Purdue still got IT and Newman. IT was pretty much a lock, but Newman wasn’t and he is balling out right now.

I have been tough on Painter, but I liked what the team showed against Ohio. Now have to see what they can do against Belmont, who should be significantly better than Ohio.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
Who knows if they will get to an elite 8 or a final four, but this is a bad take. Williams and Hunter have shown some really nice things as true freshmen. Wheeler has an athleticism and size that Purdue hasn’t had in forever. And Newman is playing like one of the best players in the country. Not to mention IT is an elite scorer/leader/good decision maker. The overall athleticism will be much better on this team going forward than the 14 class, and that young core will play a lot of games together. That first year the ‘14 class got here, I am sure there was a lot of doom and gloom as well. They one a Big championship and went to 2 sweet 16s.

IT, Hunter, Newman, Wheeler, and Williams will win a looooooooot of games. That doesn’t even take into account Sasha, ED (which we haven’t seen yet), and Nojel (who still has 2 more years).

Is Painter struggling with this team? Yes. He has been incredibly slow to adjusting the lineup and stubborn in his ways (how he teaches defense to this particular roster and who gets minutes when). Has he missed on elite recruits the past two years? Yes. But he has some really good young players. I think Hall (amongst others) would have been the perfect piece, but he got snagged away. But Purdue still got IT and Newman. IT was pretty much a lock, but Newman wasn’t and he is balling out right now.

I have been tough on Painter, but I liked what the team showed against Ohio. Now have to see what they can do against Belmont, who should be significantly better than Ohio.
Great post. Don't forget Gillis. With his injuries he might be a bit of an unknown, but he has some good potential.

He sure did. He outplayed Eastern tonight. The team made two great runs with him on the floor. Happy for him and the team.

Very happy for Hunter, he executed within the flow of the offense and looked good, but saying he played better than Eastern is either ignorant or ridiculous, unless you’re only speaking of offense.

One thing I see on Wheeler is that he needs better ball handling, would make a big difference in his game.

The young core could be good down the road. The issue is that we are going to struggle for the next few years. That shouldn't happen, and I believe will lead to a new coach prior to the junior year of our current freshman.

Great post. Don't forget Gillis. With his injuries he might be a bit of an unknown, but he has some good potential.

I don’t know what Purdue is getting in Gillis. He had some excellent potential, but nobody knows the extent of his knee injury. He may never play again, or he may be able to come in and play with zero issues as a freshman. We just don’t know. I will say that Purdue is better off with Gillis coming back 100% and able to contribute early. But as of right now, I don’t think he is expected to do anything but redshirt next year. Whereas Newman and IT are going to have to contribute early. The unfortunate thing g is that the 4 is a huge position of need, and if Gillis can’t go, a grad transfer almost becomes a must.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The young core could be good down the road. The issue is that we are going to struggle for the next few years. That shouldn't happen, and I believe will lead to a new coach prior to the junior year of our current freshman.

You keep making the same statement about a new coach, which is fine, I just don’t see a scenario in which this team is bad enough this year and next to cause the university to pull the trigger on Painter.

Do you mind me asking your view as to how low in the conference standings Purdue would have to finish this year and next for your prediction of a new coach to come to fruition. Not how bad it has to be for you to think a change is warranted, but how bad it would have to be for Purdue to actually make a change.

I don’t know what Ourdue is getting in Gillis. He had some excellent potential, but nobody knows the extent of his knee injury. He may never play again, or he may be able to come in and play with zero issues as a freshman. We just don’t know. I will say that Purdue is better off with Gillis coming back 100% and able to contribute early. But as of right now, I don’t think he is expected to do anything but redshirt next year. Whereas Newman and IT are going to have to contribute early. The unfortunate thing g is that the 4 is a huge position of need, and if Gillis can’t go, a grad transfer almost becomes a must.

When you say you don’t think Gillis is expected to anything but redshirt next year, is that your expectation or are you saying that’s Purdue’s expectation? Just curious.

with a NPOY caliber upperclassman,
I thought we were leaning more towards reload than rebuild. hopefully we get the Ws in conference play and get on a roll by seasons end

Whereas Newman and IT are going to have to contribute early.
some keep suggesting thompson as a possible redshirt too. if so, that concerns me a bit to already have two 2020 spots filled (and only two for '19... newman, dow)

You keep making the same statement about a new coach, which is fine, I just don’t see a scenario in which this team is bad enough this year and next to cause the university to pull the trigger on Painter.

Do you mind me asking your view as to how low in the conference standings Purdue would have to finish this year and next for your prediction of a new coach to come to fruition. Not how bad it has to be for you to think a change is warranted, but how bad it would have to be for Purdue to actually make a change.
I don't think it has anything to do with conference standing imo. I think if we miss the tournament 2 years in a row, the University will make a change. We have an outside chance of making the tournament this year. I think we have almost no chance of making the tournament next year unless we get a couple of stud grad transfers (assuming Carsen leaves). This is the roster we are looking at next year:

Nojel/IT
Newman/Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms/EB/Williams/Dow

The roster is completely unbalanced, and will rely on players that a struggling a lot this year to be our best players. We dont have an AA coming back to save us like this year.

So basically, I believe we miss the tournament this year, and then I believe we are dreadful next year, so the University will make a change (unless Painter has some stud recruits lined up in 2020).

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Very happy for Hunter, he executed within the flow of the offense and looked good, but saying he played better than Eastern is either ignorant or ridiculous, unless you’re only speaking of offense.
His overall game was better whether you choose to recognize it or not. His defense was good not great, but offensively it was extremely good. Eastern didn't exactly have a lock down game on defense either.

I don't think it has anything to do with conference standing imo. I think if we miss the tournament 2 years in a row, the University will make a change. We have an outside chance of making the tournament this year. I think we have almost no chance of making the tournament next year unless we get a couple of stud grad transfers (assuming Carsen leaves). This is the roster we are looking at next year:

Nojel/IT
Newman/Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms/EB/Williams/Dow

The roster is completely unbalanced, and will rely on players that a struggling a lot this year to be our best players. We dont have an AA coming back to save us like this year.

So basically, I believe we miss the tournament this year, and then I believe we are dreadful next year, so the University will make a change (unless Painter has some stud recruits lined up in 2020).
If we miss the tournament two years in a row then I agree it is possible, but when looking at next year's roster you have to remember that everyone will have a whole year to develop and refine their skills. I could see major jumps in Eastern, Hunter, Williams, Wheeler and Sasha with another year of growth. I think Newman will be an instant impact player for us and maybe IT as well. If Eastern can develop a mid-range game I think he could really make a jump in his production. Wheeler has shown some flashes like he did in the Maryland game. I would like to see him add a little bulk perhaps, but I think he has a very bright future if he keeps working. I do not think the future is as bleak as you seem to think.

If we miss the tournament two years in a row then I agree it is possible, but when looking at next year's roster you have to remember that everyone will have a whole year to develop and refine their skills. I could see major jumps in Eastern, Hunter, Williams, Wheeler and Sasha with another year of growth. I think Newman will be an instant impact player for us and maybe IT as well. If Eastern can develop a mid-range game I think he could really make a jump in his production. Wheeler has shown some flashes like he did in the Maryland game. I would like to see him add a little bulk perhaps, but I think he has a very bright future if he keeps working. I do not think the future is as bleak as you seem to think.
People spent the whole offseason talking about the jumps Eastern and Haarms would make, as well as how good Wheeler and Hunter were going to be this year. Making that jump isnt as common as some seem to think. Especially for players that were ranked where these guys were out of high school.

We have no backup 3s or 4s on next year's roster at this point. We are losing 3 starters (including our only two scorers) from a team that is likely to miss the tournament. Nojel could even transfer to find a team that runs an offense more suited to his skillset. The future is not bright imo.

I don’t care about conference finishes, personally. If CMP misses the NCAAS two times in a row again, 15 years into his tenure, that would be a clear indicator that he is not the guy to move the program to the next level.

People spent the whole offseason talking about the jumps Eastern and Haarms would make, as well as how good Wheeler and Hunter were going to be this year. Making that jump isnt as common as some seem to think. Especially for players that were ranked where these guys were out of high school.

We have no backup 3s or 4s on next year's roster at this point. We are losing 3 starters (including our only two scorers) from a team that is likely to miss the tournament. Nojel could even transfer to find a team that runs an offense more suited to his skillset. The future is not bright imo.
We are really only losing 2 starters. Perhaps only one if Carsen decided to play his senior year - although I don't think that is very likely. I am still optimistic for next year. I think how the rest of this year goes could have a carry-over effect into next year. Hoping some of the younger guys get more minutes and that we can be sucessful enough to make the tournament. If Eastern were to leave early or transfer then I would not be so optimistic.

We are really only losing 2 starters. Perhaps only one if Carsen decided to play his senior year - although I don't think that is very likely. I am still optimistic for next year. I think how the rest of this year goes could have a carry-over effect into next year. Hoping some of the younger guys get more minutes and that we can be sucessful enough to make the tournament. If Eastern were to leave early or transfer then I would not be so optimistic.
Carsen, Cline, and Eifert are all starters.

Nojel/IT
Newman/Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms/EB/Williams/Dow

Well stated reply. I guess what I’m asking is how bad does ‘dreadful’ need to be next year for Purdue to make a change? Does just missing the tourney qualify or do they have to be really bad?

If we miss the tourney this year finishing and next year finish with 15 to 18 total wins and 7th in the conference and don’t make the NCAA with a relatively young team, I just don’t see the university replacing Painter. Again, setting aside whether they should or not I just don’t see it happening.

Well stated reply. I guess what I’m asking is how bad does ‘dreadful’ need to be next year for Purdue to make a change? Does just missing the tourney qualify or do they have to be really bad?

If we miss the tourney this year finishing and next year finish with 15 to 18 total wins and 7th in the conference and don’t make the NCAA with a relatively young team, I just don’t see the university replacing Painter. Again, setting aside whether they should or not I just don’t see it happening.
Imo, we could finish as the first team out each year, and I believe the University will replace him. A lot will depend on the shape of the program at the time too. Have a top 10 2020 class would allow him to keep his job no matter what.

I'm thinking we finish this season on the wrong side of the bubble, and next season I believe will look like the 13'-14' season. Our 2020 recruiting class will be the typical 40-50 ranked class.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Imo, we could finish as the first team out each year, and I believe the University will replace him. A lot will depend on the shape of the program at the time too. Have a top 10 2020 class would allow him to keep his job no matter what.

I'm thinking we finish this season on the wrong side of the bubble, and next season I believe will look like the 13'-14' season. Our 2020 recruiting class will be the typical 40-50 ranked class.

Interesting. I’m a bit more optimistic on the results this year and next, but you could easily be right.

The really interesting part would be if they did barely miss each year and Bobinski made the change. Whether that ends up being the right move or not it would show a huge set on the part of the AD.

I don’t care about conference finishes, personally. If CMP misses the NCAAS two times in a row again, 15 years into his tenure, that would be a clear indicator that he is not the guy to move the program to the next level.

Completely no offense meant, but I’ve reached the point where I have no interest in whether anyone here thinks that Purdue ‘should’ move on from Painter after this year or next. There is such a high level individual bias and lack of understanding of the issue on both sides of the arguement that the individual views on what should be done posted here almost never add any real insight to the conversation, IMO.

The question I was asking, which I think is much more interesting, is how bad would things have to be this year and next for the university to actually makes a change?

His overall game was better whether you choose to recognize it or not. His defense was good not great, but offensively it was extremely good. Eastern didn't exactly have a lock down game on defense either.

Hunter played very well. I’d take that level of efficiency on offense from anyone and relative to what we’ve seen from him in the past and where he is in his development his defense was much better.

Completely no offense meant, but I’ve reached the point where I have no interest in whether anyone here thinks that Purdue ‘should’ move on from Painter after this year or next. There is such a high level individual bias and lack of understanding of the issue on both sides of the arguement that the individual views on what should be done posted here almost never add any real insight to the conversation, IMO.

The question I was asking, which I think is much more interesting, is how bad would things have to be this year and next for the university to actually makes a change?
Yes, that’s what I meant. We miss NCAAs 2 years in a row, I think MBob makes a change.

I agree with most of what you say but if I were a Purdue fan you would be a buzz kill. I would know that you were right but hope you were wrong but you’re just a constant buzz kill for everyone but me!:)

Yes, that’s what I meant. We miss NCAAs 2 years in a row, I think MBob makes a change.

Got it. As said above, I’d be surprised to see that with a young team next year unless either 1) things got really bad next year or 2) Bobinski identifies a replacement that he thinks is a sure thing and he knows he can sign, but I could very well be wrong.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Got it. As said above, I’d be surprised to see that with a young team next year unless either 1) things got really bad next year or 2) Bobinski identifies a replacement that he thinks is a sure thing and he knows he can sign, but I could very well be wrong.
I would add one caveat: if CMP signs an extraordinarily good 2020 class, that could get him an additional year.

I agree with most of what you say but if I were a Purdue fan you would be a buzz kill. I would know that you were right but hope you were wrong but you’re just a constant buzz kill for everyone but me!:)
He/she is not a Purdue fan. If he is, he was one of those guys that thought he could play, showed up for a tryout, and painter laughed at him. It's the only way this dude could hate Painter as much as he does.

Most importantly, his opinion does not matter.

He/she is not a Purdue fan. If he is, he was one of those guys that thought he could play, showed up for a tryout, and painter laughed at him. It's the only way this dude could hate Painter as much as he does.

Most importantly, his opinion does not matter.
Lol that's cute. So because I'm not settling for mediocrity, I'm not a Purdue fan? I just happen to know we can be better than we have been. We need new blood. Sort of like how Brohm re-energized the football program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT