ADVERTISEMENT

Humbling experience

Apr 1, 2019
I’m not a Hurley fan, but give credit where it’s due. He has put together a beast of a program since taking over at UConn. That team was better at 4 out of 5 positions than Purdue. They shut down every player on Purdue besides Smith and Edey. They completely took away the 3-point shot. And, I never thought I’d see Purdue get beaten that badly on the boards. Purdue had a great season, but the best team won the Natty. Really looking forward to next year—that Cam Heide one-hand tip jam has me jazzed for what next year could look like. Go Boilers!

I’m not a Hurley fan, but give credit where it’s due. He has put together a beast of a program since taking over at UConn. That team was better at 4 out of 5 positions than Purdue. They shut down every player on Purdue besides Smith and Edey. They completely took away the 3-point shot. And, I never thought I’d see Purdue get beaten that badly on the boards. Purdue had a great season, but the best team won the Natty. Really looking forward to next year—that Cam Heide one-hand tip jam has me jazzed for what next year could look like. Go Boilers!
Creighton , Seton Hall and whoever else they lost to are proof that they can have an off night…

Unfortunately that’s what Purdue needed to win tonight.

I agree about next year for Purdue— I think that opponents who are banking on a post-Edey drop off are in for a sickening surprise.

Creighton , Seton Hall and whoever else they lost to are proof that they can have an off night…

Unfortunately that’s what Purdue needed to win tonight.

I agree about next year for Purdue— I think that opponents who are banking on a post-Edey drop off are in for a sickening surprise.
I checked out the Way Too Early poll for 2025 on the ESPN app and they have:
1. Duke
2. UConn
3. Kansas
Purdue was on the #6 slot.

The offensive rebounds for UConn were stunning and as someone who was at that game demoralizing to the team. Second the subs Hurley would use allowed them to keep throwing different things at Purdue and we were always on our heels. UConn put their foot down and stopped us from making any run at all.

No shame in losing this one, UConn has that perfect balance of depth, athleticism and discipline.

Very proud of the Boilers and all they have achieved. While disappointed it dud not go our way, it was a very exciting season and fun to watch. Happy that this team enabled the fans to experience a championship game.

Now we know what it takes to get there and in those famous words, we'll be back!

I keep thinking of that popular metaphor: “shutting off their water”. ….

UConn relentlessly and effectively severed the connection between our front line and our backcourt when Purdue had the ball.

We could/should have shot it a little better, but I’m doubtful even that would have changed the outcome on a night when UConn was on its game.

I keep thinking of that popular metaphor: “shutting off their water”. ….

UConn relentlessly and effectively severed the connection between our front line and our backcourt when Purdue had the ball.

We could/should have shot it a little better, but I’m doubtful even that would have changed the outcome on a night when UConn was on its game.
We could have shot it better if we could have gotten an open look.

Read a post about the UConn assistant who was in charge of scouting us. Hats off to him. Shocked he hasn’t gotten a HC offer yet.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Uconn has great players not just in skill, but in execution, team play,ferocity and smarts. Their coach, despite his unlikeable personality is a great coach.

In looking at the UConn v Alabama box score, Alabama got off 23 attempts from 3 point range, making 11. Alabama also had only 9 assists for the entire game, so getting those 3 attempts did not come from many passes.. This all may indicate they either have (more) guys that can better create their own open space to get off shot attempts or just took and made lower % shots. It also may indicate that UConn’s defensive emphasis may not have been on shutting down their threes but maybe preventing offensive rebounds and paint points. Or, they just played a great defensive game v Purdue.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
That's true, but there's a difference between having a bad night in January or February on somebody else's floor and having one in the National Championship. Purdue had some tough road outings this year, too.

You have to expect a team like UConn to be at its best when everything is on the line. And they absolutely were, tearing through everybody in the NCAA Tournament.

I checked out the Way Too Early poll for 2025 on the ESPN app and they have:
1. Duke
2. UConn
3. Kansas
Purdue was on the #6 slot.
#6, wow! That's respect for Painter! I would have guessed somewhere in the low 20s--something of a courtesy ranking that could easily disappear if Purdue gets off to a rocky start.

In looking at the UConn v Alabama box score, Alabama got off 23 attempts from 3 point range, making 11. Alabama also had only 9 assists for the entire game, so getting those 3 attempts did not come from many passes.. This all may indicate they either have (more) guys that can better create their own open space to get off shot attempts or just took and made lower % shots. It also may indicate that UConn’s defensive emphasis may not have been on shutting down their threes but maybe preventing offensive rebounds and paint points. Or, they just played a great defensive game v Purdue.
Sears is a pro player, no offense to our guys in the backcourt but they’re not him.

I was thinking about that, too. Bama had no problem hoisting threes, but they play at a faster pace, and they're almost exclusively looking for 3 point shots. Plus, I don't think UConn had the size/athleticism advantage on the perimeter against Bama.
Purdue played in the half court and there wasn't a lot of swinging of the ball from side to side. Zach touched it on probably 75% of Purdue's possessions and they were content to let him eat as much as he wanted. So, the ball went in and didn't come out much. And, when it did, it went back in because UConn was smothering the shooters. Easy to do since UConn had the size and athleticism to do so.

They push the ball more than us.

Sears is a pro player, no offense to our guys in the backcourt but they’re not him.
Sears is a nice player for sure. Reminds me somewhat of Carson Edwards, but maybe an inch taller. But he only had 6 of the 23, 3 attempts, so their other guards were getting 3 point attempts off alright. Just us adding a bit more cold blood to our line up, especially by March, could be helpful.

I was thinking about that, too. Bama had no problem hoisting threes, but they play at a faster pace, and they're almost exclusively looking for 3 point shots. Plus, I don't think UConn had the size/athleticism advantage on the perimeter against Bama.
Purdue played in the half court and there wasn't a lot of swinging of the ball from side to side. Zach touched it on probably 75% of Purdue's possessions and they were content to let him eat as much as he wanted. So, the ball went in and didn't come out much. And, when it did, it went back in because UConn was smothering the shooters. Easy to do since UConn had the size and athleticism to do so.
Maybe not quickness, but they definitely had the size.

Bama played in the game longer but eventually they wore down and regressed to mean from 70% three point shooting. They were down as much as 20 late second half.

Sears is a nice player for sure. Reminds me somewhat of Carson Edwards, but maybe an inch taller. But he only had 6 of the 23, 3 attempts, so their other guards were getting 3 point attempts off alright. Just us adding a bit more cold blood to our line up, especially by March, could be helpful.
Estrada likes the 3 for them and can create his own shot

They push the ball more than us.
I was hoping when Edey needed a rest that we'd try to uptempo it for 3 mins or so just to see if we could get some 3's. I know the announcer were saying Purdue doesn't want to get into an uptempo game due to that's what UConn wants.

He can certainly jump. I would like to see him have the ability to drive into the lane and make baskets if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Did you see him attempt to try and play basketball yesterday? Backalley is spot on.
Man, I hope you didn’t watch IU all year or you would have seen some reeeeally bad basketball. Barely beating your buy teams with 3 5 stars and a first round pick. A lot of nut grabbing by your star PG…Loyer was lucky X didn’t grab his. Edey just abusing IU.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
After Ucon loses 4-5 players to the NBA, I wonder what their super team will look like next season as they poach NBA players (ring chasers) to fill those spots through the portal.

You realize that Edey hid how bad everyone on this team is right?

Well it will all be exposed next year just like it was vs UConn when they played him one on one. The rest of the team didn’t exist.

You have the worst, unathletic back court in the league.

Every backcourt will be licking their chops to play Purdue.
Nah. IU’s backcourt was already the worst backcourt last year and looking like they will be this year again.

They were more awful than you think as they were hidden by a lazy 7 footer who will get drafted first round.

Man that backcourt was awful with nut grabbing and turnover prone X, Cupps (who should be playing for a lower tier MAC program) is slow and can’t shoot or guard anyone, Galloway who can’t hit anything to save his life and try hard Leal who is somehow less athletic than Cupps.

You better hope Woodson recruits over all of them or you’ll be fighting to just make the BTT. This will be all while Purdue continues to be the top in the B1G, again, year after year and top 15 team. And you’ll be sitting there scratching your little head, wondering how do they do it every year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT