ADVERTISEMENT

How are we getting to 13 Scholarships

Emartin70287

Sophomore
Nov 17, 2015
Haven't been paying super close attention as Purdue is sitting out the portal off season, so maybe I missed it. But any word on how we are getting to 13 scholarships? I would have thought there would have been an announcement by now. Seems strange.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Haven't been paying super close attention as Purdue is sitting out the portal off season, so maybe I missed it. But any word on how we are getting to 13 scholarships? I would have thought there would have been an announcement by now. Seems strange.
Science.

We're going to merge two of the incoming frosh into one entity.

I posted on this earlier.....as board "experts" said at the time we took #14, that CMP had a clear plan. Yet here we are now....

We'll know more tomorrow.......

The fact Painter offered Cox late and took Jacobson when he reclassified, while still leaving door open for Harris leads me to believe he had a plan if nobody transfered.

Does Waddell move to walk-on, and still get some NIL to offset scholarship loss his last 2 years?

We'll know more tomorrow.......

The fact Painter offered Cox late and took Jacobson when he reclassified, while still leaving door open for Harris leads me to believe he had a plan if nobody transfered.

Does Waddell move to walk-on, and still get some NIL to offset scholarship loss his last 2 years?
Ideally if allowed that’s what happens. He seems like a great kid and true Boiler. Would love to see him finish here.

Ideally if allowed that’s what happens. He seems like a great kid and true Boiler. Would love to see him finish here.
I mean, if offering kids bags of money in recruitment is being allowed, then surely this is no big deal in this current landscape.

However it is the NCAA, so watch Purdue get 4 year post season ban while Cheatin' Bill laughs his way to another Natty.

Reactions: pboiler18
Bout has to be which is fine. This really says something about caleb furst to be honest. What a great dude he must be to not go into the portal
I really want Caleb to have a great Sr year. He's been patient with a generational talent eating the front court minutes.

I know when both TKR and Furst were recruited Painter said they could play together and were All B1G level guys by the end of their careers.

Hard to see that path now for Caleb, but the talent is there and hopefully he finds his groove with more minutes. I think he could be really good with Smith in ball screens. He has some bounce for lobs on rolls, and if he regains shooting Touch could open things up for Braden with pick and pops.

I think Painter will try them out starting together at the beginning of the year.

Scholarship players cannot become non scholarship players and remain in the program. They can stay at Purdue and have a scholarship, just wouldnt be able to play ball here.

So if he went to the portal he wouldn’t be a great dude? What a weird comment.
Ie i am sure there are bags of cash out there for him if he wanted it but if he isnt going in the portal it means that money is less of a priority in his mind. It takes a lot from somebody to pass that up, particularly when playing time hasn’t been there.

Ok, my 65th idea. Painter said he had a plan and it would all work out and be revealed in time. While many have continued to ask and speculate, Painter has said nothing.

My new speculation is that Painter cannot comment on the matter until the semester ends. My new speculation is that it involves a current player graduating earlier than originally planned. And a future that will be changed based on that graduation. But Painter has to wait until the graduation happens before taking the action. I

Additionally it was said above. painter doesn’t have to take any action until the Fall. That could give that player a Summer semester to graduate.

As I look at the current academic world of athletes, Many now arrive with credits earned while in high school. Many take self paced online courses. And many finish their degree in 3 years and even less.

May I ask what player has been on the team for 3 years and is very close to finishing his degree?

I’m familiar with the pre-med program at IU. They do accept students into their program that do not have a degree. It’s not very many, but it is possible.

My money is on Furst leaving basketball because he was accepted into med school and it’s an opportunity he can’t pass up. Getting accepted into med school is like the NBA draft. It’s a chance of a lifetime you can’t pass up. However before he can announce it, I believe Furst has to complete a couple of courses furst!

So my money says you will continue to hear nothing until graduation day. And then you will hear one really big and happy announcement.

If not Furst, is there another player who has been at Purdue for 3 years? Who may be graduating?

Ok, my 65th idea. Painter said he had a plan and it would all work out and be revealed in time. While many have continued to ask and speculate, Painter has said nothing.

My new speculation is that Painter cannot comment on the matter until the semester ends. My new speculation is that it involves a current player graduating earlier than originally planned. And a future that will be changed based on that graduation. But Painter has to wait until the graduation happens before taking the action. I

Additionally it was said above. painter doesn’t have to take any action until the Fall. That could give that player a Summer semester to graduate.

As I look at the current academic world of athletes, Many now arrive with credits earned while in high school. Many take self paced online courses. And many finish their degree in 3 years and even less.

May I ask what player has been on the team for 3 years and is very close to finishing his degree?

I’m familiar with the pre-med program at IU. They do accept students into their program that do not have a degree. It’s not very many, but it is possible.

My money is on Furst leaving basketball because he was accepted into med school and it’s an opportunity he can’t pass up. Getting accepted into med school is like the NBA draft. It’s a chance of a lifetime you can’t pass up. However before he can announce it, I believe Furst has to complete a couple of courses furst!

So my money says you will continue to hear nothing until graduation day. And then you will hear one really big and happy announcement.

If not Furst, is there another player who has been at Purdue for 3 years? Who may be graduating?
Pretty sure Waddell has been at Purdue for 3 yrs now.

May be your best idea yet there, Wole! His girlfriend did get accepted to dental school at Ohio state…. 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: jtanoos1

Blind squirrels, broken clocks , and Wolstoy…

I’ve put forth a lot of crazy and unpopular posts. But at least I am brave enough to post some original ideas unlike many others. While many disagree with me, I at least have a take unlike the vast majority of posters who put me down.

If Wadell has been here 3 years, it’s quite possible he is very close to getting his degree. I can’t see him sticking around another year just so he can be the last guy on the bench for another year. If he gets his degree in the Spring or Summer, I have to believe he will leave.

But once again that’s something Painter would know about (the plan) but he wouldn’t be able to reveal publicly until he actually graduated.

If Wadell has been here 3 years, it’s quite possible he is very close to getting his degree. I can’t see him sticking around another year just so he can be the last guy on the bench for another year. If he gets his degree in the Spring or Summer, I have to believe he will leave.

But once again that’s something Painter would know about (the plan) but he wouldn’t be able to reveal publicly until he actually graduated.
He’s dating one of the best volleyball players Purdue has so…I wonder if that would factor in on his decision

He will probably make more money on NIL as walk-on and paying his in state tuition then he would at any job with the type of degree he is pursuing. Why leave when you are BMOC with smokin girlfriend (who I think is a junior next year). His dad also played with paint.

Even a blind squirrel finds…

This one might stick. Furst is very good friends with Goode who is rumored to be transferring to indiana and the Hoosiers need a backup big man transfer.

Even a blind squirrel finds…

This one might stick. Furst is very good friends with Goode who is rumored to be transferring to indiana and the Hoosiers need a backup big man transfer.
As someone else noted, Furst doesn't solve our 25 no room issue.

Has to be Waddell, or one of the frosh in order to sign a 25 player or we will be doing this same speculation again next year.

As someone else noted, Furst doesn't solve our 25 no room issue.

Has to be Waddell, or one of the frosh in order to sign a 25 player or we will be doing this same speculation again next year.
Exactly. Slight chance of Catchings one and done, but yeah same issue next yr if it was Furst that moves on this yr. Definitely think Waddell will be at Purdue one more yr at the most.

Exactly. Slight chance of Catchings one and done, but yeah same issue next yr if it was Furst that moves on this yr. Definitely think Waddell will be at Purdue one more yr at the most.
I think all 3 statements are not accurate between you and qazplm.

We are not over signed for 25, we have one schollie at least and we still have another off-season to lose someone we always do. Also players can go off schollie and make enough money in NIL.

Second I don’t think catchings is a one and done. He is a project and I know you said slight chance, but he is no closer to one and done than Harris.

Third I don’t think Waddell will necessarily leave early. His long term girlfriend is only going to be a junior I think and financially I’m not sure there is a better situation for him then collecting his NIL.

We are not over signed for 25, we have one schollie at least and we still have another off-season to lose someone we always do. Also players can go off schollie and make enough money in NIL.

Second I don’t think catchings is a one and done. He is a project and I know you said slight chance, but he is no closer to one and done than Harris.

Third I don’t think Waddell will necessarily leave early. His long term girlfriend is only going to be a junior I think and financially I’m not sure there is a better situation for him then collecting his NIL.
If Furst moves on this yr to free up the scholarship that we currently need, that leaves us oversigned if Sisley commits with no seniors. That was the point there. Same situation as this yr basically. That is IF we sign a '25.
I definitely think there is the slight possibility of Catchings being a one and done. I believe he's listed late first round currently in mock '25 drafts.
I'm not saying that Waddell has better options, just not typical that you would have a guy eat up a scholarship for 5 yrs that basically plays only when the walk ons enter the game.

Furst is the only Senior for 2024-25. So if he is the one to depart now to make room for a 24 recruit, that means we have zero seniors that will have exhausted their eligibility to allow for Sisley or Haralson to sign. That's why it would make it the same as now. Needing an undergrad to turn pro or transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT