ADVERTISEMENT

Horvath

piadef

True Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2003
where did Horvath come from, he is not in the commitment list.

I would not have guessed RB to have been a trouble spot for us this year. The finger laceration for Jones is minor, all injuries considered. Nice to see an IU flip shine for us!

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Suggestion.... Coach Brohm, award Horvath a scholarship at the conclusion of camp and I guarantee that South Bend/Mishawaka/St Joe County area and PU alumni will start buying season tickets like never before! Hell....no one in that town can afford ND tickets anymore and 85-90 percent of Nd tickets are purchased from out of state anyway

Reactions: Bully4OldPurdue
Suggestion.... Coach Brohm, award Horvath a scholarship at the conclusion of camp and I guarantee that South Bend/Mishawaka/St Joe County area and PU alumni will start buying season tickets like never before! Hell....no one in that town can afford ND tickets anymore and 85-90 percent of Nd tickets are purchased from out of state anyway
We need all the schollies we have to rebuild the talent from Hazell's recruiting.

Pass. Walk on back ups don’t get schollies

Don't we have some left to give this fall? Blackmon, Burgess, and Horvath I think would be the top 3 candidates. I think he could get one, but nothing to do with ticket sales in South Bend obviously.

Don't we have some left to give this fall? Blackmon, Burgess, and Horvath I think would be the top 3 candidates.
Burgess and Blackmon are already on scholarship (womp womp).

Yes we have some left. Why tie our hands in recruiting?

Burgess and Blackmon are already on scholarship (womp womp).

Yes we have some left. Why tie our hands in recruiting?
Whose hands are tied. Schollies can be used on a 1 year basis. Save a kid (and parents) 1 year of tuition, reward his contributions.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Whose hands are tied. Schollies can be used on a 1 year basis. Save a kid (and parents) 1 year of tuition, reward his contributions.
Im not sure the rules anymore. The Big Ten has moved to 4 year schollies for athletes that sign an LOI out of high school. Im not sure what you would have to commit a walk on

Im not sure the rules anymore. The Big Ten has moved to 4 year schollies for athletes that sign an LOI out of high school. Im not sure what you would have to commit a walk on
Good point. Seems idiotic to not be able to use an otherwise wasted 1 year scholarship, but this is the NCAA.

Good point. Seems idiotic to not be able to use an otherwise wasted 1 year scholarship, but this is the NCAA.
Thats a big ten rule.

I get what you are saying. I know basketball does it (or at least did it in the past)

Don't burn a scholarship unnecessarily. If the kid proves to be an impact player over time in real game settings (still TBD) then reward him. Otherwise, leave the door open for JUCOs in December and transfers next spring. Purdue should be growing in value on the transfer market. Also, the new redshirt rule may increase the likelihood of 5th year players moving forward and the total number of scholarship athletes available is still 85.

https://purduesports.com/news/2003/8/23/Tiller_Awards_Five_Walkons_With_Scholarships.aspx
Tiller awarded scholarships to over 24 walkons while at PU. With possible exception of Conard,Hardwick & Smith, I doubt few ever started, except on special teams. I'm not sure Morales was even a 1st team guy. Tiller rewarded kids that demonstrated loyalty to the team and worked their butts off.

I will add the caveat, however, that it should normally be done at start of their senior year unless they contribute prior to that time.

https://purduesports.com/news/2003/8/23/Tiller_Awards_Five_Walkons_With_Scholarships.aspx
Tiller awarded scholarships to over 24 walkons while at PU. With possible exception of Conard,Hardwick & Smith, I doubt few ever started, except on special teams. I'm not sure Morales was even a 1st team guy. Tiller rewarded kids that demonstrated loyalty to the team and worked their butts off.

I will add the caveat, however, that it should normally be done at start of their senior year unless they contribute prior to that time.
Horvath is a RS FR.

We need all the schollies we have to rebuild the talent from Hazell's recruiting.
It seems as such but not really since all the starters on offense and defense except for the grad transfers and jucos that Brohm brought in were Haze guys. I think 5 guys started that Brohm brought in so 17 were Haze leftovers. Kudos to this staff for turning them into decent players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT